LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Understanding!! "Do anybody have a degree in church music"  (Read 3057 times)

Offline rut

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

I've seen colleges offering a degree in Church Music. (Bethune Cookman)
 What does it consists of does it teach you hymns and understanding in church music. Just curious

"vision to victory"

Offline Maestro87

• LGM Member
    • Facebook Profile

Re: Need Understanding!! "Do anybody have a degree in church music"
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 10:00:37 PM »
These degress will teach you the basics of music along with how to manage a music ministry in conjunction with all of the administration aspects as well.  Also, the hymn studies that you will do, will teach you how to understand hymns as well as how to effectively pick songs to meet the needs of the members.  If you go to Berklee you will find the best training anywhere.  Most of the other school will take an approach more towards the style of "Caucasion" churches.
"Stay Fly, Stay Fresh, God Bless"
Dameron Growe

Offline rut

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 10:23:18 PM »
oh okay so it wont tell you actually how to play, and carry and service or anything like that?
"vision to victory"

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 01:08:21 AM »
oh okay so it wont tell you actually how to play, and carry and service or anything like that?

That comes by Apprenticeship...watching and listening. I get a lot of ideas from YouTube...

Offline Maestro87

• LGM Member
    • Facebook Profile

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 12:43:26 AM »
They will train you how to do that as well but it will all be theoretical and from their personal experience but all of us know that the same denomination of church can have 10 different ways of running a service.  The only way to truly be prepared even with your degree is to get out there and do it.  Fall down and hit your face, learn from it, and get back up keep going.
Dameron Growe

Offline Maestro87

• LGM Member
    • Facebook Profile

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 12:43:53 AM »
They will train you how to do that as well but it will all be theoretical and from their personal experience but all of us know that the same denomination of church can have 10 different ways of running a service.  The only way to truly be prepared even with your degree is to get out there and do it.  Fall down and hit your face, learn from it, and get back up and keep going.
Dameron Growe

Offline Dawn Sovinsky

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 08:26:53 AM »
You can save yourself a lot of time, money and busy work by getting a good piano teacher that will teach you theory and chords as well as reading music.  They are around.  Then with lots of prayer and practice and listening to the Holy Spirit, you can come out better equipped than if you had gone to 4 years of college and listened to hours of teaching.......a lot of which is useless in the realm of practicality.

If a piano teacher doesn't fit in to your present life, hang out with other musicians and grill them with questions and just jam.  You can get so much practical info from the web and DVD courses- Piano for life is only $10. And very good.

I've gone the long route and found I could have done without a lot of the info given out in a classroom.  Of course, there have been some great classes as well that have proved to be of great value.  You don't have to be a full-time student or a music major to take some classes.  You can even audit it ( take it for no grade.......thus no tests required and less pressure to perform to a certain level). Its worth checking out.

A degree can be nice, but in the long run, its what you do with the knowledge you have that matters.  A lot of CEO's of major corporations don't have a college degree.  Sucsses is in the eyes of the Lord, not the world.

God Bless you as you go on your journey in service to the King.

Dawn

Offline JazzJunkie

• LGM Member
  • A Great Legend

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 08:01:41 PM »
It also depends on what u are trying to do when u get finished with school. Do u want to be a full-time musicians when u get done r u looking to be something else,If so then u dont have anything to worry about, but if u r trying to do music full-time then i would suggest that u double major or minor in something else only because the economy is not getting no better and we all know that the church is funded by people that r working, and we know that the more gas go up the more people will stop giving. Not to discourage u but I dont want to see u put in all that hard work in for nothing...I have some musicians friends that r going through this right now where they started out making one thing then the next thing u know the pastor is like all we can pay u this sunday is $350 instead of $450 and before u know it u will be down to a $100 :o
Take What U Know And Use It To The Glory Of God.

<JazzJunkie>

Offline ferrente

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Lord Can Do All Things!

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 09:16:25 PM »
Welcome To LGM,  Dawn Sovinsky
Trust in the Lord and do good so shalt thou dwell in the land and verily thou shalt be fed.

Offline jonesl78

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 03:13:52 PM »
It also depends on what u are trying to do when u get finished with school. Do u want to be a full-time musicians when u get done r u looking to be something else,If so then u dont have anything to worry about, but if u r trying to do music full-time then i would suggest that u double major or minor in something else only because the economy is not getting no better and we all know that the church is funded by people that r working, and we know that the more gas go up the more people will stop giving. Not to discourage u but I dont want to see u put in all that hard work in for nothing...I have some musicians friends that r going through this right now where they started out making one thing then the next thing u know the pastor is like all we can pay u this sunday is $350 instead of $450 and before u know it u will be down to a $100 :o

Although I agree that you should cover yourself, playing for a church is not the only option for income. You can teach piano lessons and voice lessons; produce instrumental tracks; participate in studio sessions; do some consulting. Church musicians with degrees are rare. A degree in music also indicates that you are not restricted to one denomination of music. In my area, if you have a degree, you will make between 500-1500 per sunday because you would be considered a rare commodity.

Offline rut

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 03:35:19 PM »
okay so can i major in music education and minor in church music
"vision to victory"

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 03:39:58 PM »
okay so can i major in music education and minor in church music

That sounds good.

Unless you wanna play for a white church, I really dont think you need a degree. Most black churches probaly dont care about degrees. (Unless your degree is in shout music).

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 04:15:31 PM »
That sounds good.

Unless you wanna play for a white church, I really dont think you need a degree. Most black churches probaly dont care about degrees. (Unless your degree is in shout music).

:D :D :D :D
The car, job, house wife/husband are not the reward, God is.

Offline diverse379

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Players Govern Players Spectators Form Opinions

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 06:14:14 PM »
You can save yourself a lot of time, money and busy work by getting a good piano teacher that will teach you theory and chords as well as reading music.  They are around.  Then with lots of prayer and practice and listening to the Holy Spirit, you can come out better equipped than if you had gone to 4 years of college and listened to hours of teaching.......a lot of which is useless in the realm of practicality.

If a piano teacher doesn't fit in to your present life, hang out with other musicians and grill them with questions and just jam.  You can get so much practical info from the web and DVD courses- Piano for life is only $10. And very good.

I've gone the long route and found I could have done without a lot of the info given out in a classroom.  Of course, there have been some great classes as well that have proved to be of great value.  You don't have to be a full-time student or a music major to take some classes.  You can even audit it ( take it for no grade.......thus no tests required and less pressure to perform to a certain level). Its worth checking out.

A degree can be nice, but in the long run, its what you do with the knowledge you have that matters.  A lot of CEO's of major corporations don't have a college degree.  Sucsses is in the eyes of the Lord, not the world.

God Bless you as you go on your journey in service to the King.

Dawn

I am not trying to start trouble

but can I ask do you have a degree in music ?

I ask because I dont have a degree in music  but I have taken college level courses
in music

and I have also had some great teachers

my teachers included melvin crispel the md for james hall I studied with him for two years
charles minor who wrote songs for hezekiah walker
jaki byard famous jazz performer and writer who has several published cd's
victor simonson musical director for three mo tenors and richard smallwood.
enos payne now deceased but former director of nyc jazz mobile
with all these great teachers none of them could compare with what I learned from school

first school college in particular makes you more disciplined in all areas of your life
it tells people you are a professional

and  the environment is very conducive to growth
there is a standard set
that you just wont get from a piano teacher

the advice about getting around others is good advice
I myself attended choir rehearsals in some of the bigger churches in my community
and that experience was awesome but guess what the md's at those churches all had degrees in music

Please if someone wants to go to school never disuade them
first of all

most schools require you to study privately for the four years because you have to pass these auditions called juries every year so you will have to get a teacher anyway
and most of the time they can set you up with a teacher for much less money than you would have to spend on your own
and they expect you to get better
and go higher in the nissma standards

second most schools require you to attend some performance class every year
in one school I played in a small band doing some material I would never have chosen

but it made me a better player

in another school I had to sing on a choir
and I learned so much about my voice and conducting choirs

the theory can be a little lame depending on where you go
if you study jazz theory this will help you play in church
especially the contemporary
stuff
and it will force you to play in every key

the classical theory will assist you with voice leading and
many other things too numerous to name

i think this is terrible advice to give anyone to just get a teacher
now if you said get a teacher and go to college then that would have been excellent advice
it is obvious this person is very serious about their growth and ministry why not encourage him to get all he can
first of all
a good teacher is very hard to find

the things that need to be taught are many times outside the expertise of the average teacher
I have had some excellent teachers but they still couldnt give me what I got from going to school being surrounded by people who could bury you with their talent
the diversity and the exposure to new and different musical talents and techniques is invaluable

a college level curriculum includes ear training at least 5 semesters of it
by the time you are done you can hear a song and write it out on paper
chord for chord and melody note for melody note

it you do well in ear training you could pick up a sheet of music and hear it in your head
now that is powerful

imagine listening to a cd on a train and writing out a chord chart by the time you get to your destination
complete with all the vocal harmonies and instrument parts

the theory classes allow you to transcend generations of musical knowledge and learn how music was when it first began and take it up to the present
you are taught to write your own compositions and do your own writings some schools require you to write on sibellius
others you are forced to use manuscript paper

either way you become a literate musician who can play in every key

all curriculums have history and listening classes
which have you studying the composers who contributed to your discipline

not only that when you are done

you can teach in a high school or even a college
to supplement your income if you are a church musician

some of the really big churches only want someone who has a degree

finding the right school is very important

but if someone wants to go to school
Encourage that

I dont think there are many circumstances that could stand in the way of having an education

by the way I have a masters degree in education

and although I am not teaching in the field

It has enabled me to get jobs at churches that pay what I would make as a teacher
because of my ability to train choirs just from a teachers stand point,

there is power of life and death in the tongue we all need to be careful how we use it
To be or not to be that is the question you anwer when you pray practice and read your word

Offline organplaya04

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • **OP04**
    • Facebook

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 01:56:09 AM »
I've seen colleges offering a degree in Church Music. (Bethune Cookman)
 What does it consists of does it teach you hymns and understanding in church music. Just curious

I attended Bethune Cookman University...and we don't have a major in Church Music...you may be thinking about Florida Memorial University...
Psalms 133:1 " Behold how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell(play)together in unity!!

Offline jonesl78

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2008, 10:41:01 AM »

imagine listening to a cd on a train and writing out a chord chart by the time you get to your destination

I've seen this done. This ability is simply amazing.

Offline meoiste

• LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 06:00:31 PM »
That comes by Apprenticeship...watching and listening. I get a lot of ideas from YouTube...
[/b] Yeah me too

Offline MMCOGICboy

• LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2008, 06:44:28 PM »
I am not trying to start trouble

but can I ask do you have a degree in music ?

I ask because I dont have a degree in music  but I have taken college level courses
in music

and I have also had some great teachers

my teachers included melvin crispel the md for james hall I studied with him for two years
charles minor who wrote songs for hezekiah walker
jaki byard famous jazz performer and writer who has several published cd's
victor simonson musical director for three mo tenors and richard smallwood.
enos payne now deceased but former director of nyc jazz mobile
with all these great teachers none of them could compare with what I learned from school

first school college in particular makes you more disciplined in all areas of your life
it tells people you are a professional

and  the environment is very conducive to growth
there is a standard set
that you just wont get from a piano teacher

the advice about getting around others is good advice
I myself attended choir rehearsals in some of the bigger churches in my community
and that experience was awesome but guess what the md's at those churches all had degrees in music

Please if someone wants to go to school never disuade them
first of all

most schools require you to study privately for the four years because you have to pass these auditions called juries every year so you will have to get a teacher anyway
and most of the time they can set you up with a teacher for much less money than you would have to spend on your own
and they expect you to get better
and go higher in the nissma standards

second most schools require you to attend some performance class every year
in one school I played in a small band doing some material I would never have chosen

but it made me a better player

in another school I had to sing on a choir
and I learned so much about my voice and conducting choirs

the theory can be a little lame depending on where you go
if you study jazz theory this will help you play in church
especially the contemporary
stuff
and it will force you to play in every key

the classical theory will assist you with voice leading and
many other things too numerous to name

i think this is terrible advice to give anyone to just get a teacher
now if you said get a teacher and go to college then that would have been excellent advice
it is obvious this person is very serious about their growth and ministry why not encourage him to get all he can
first of all
a good teacher is very hard to find

the things that need to be taught are many times outside the expertise of the average teacher
I have had some excellent teachers but they still couldnt give me what I got from going to school being surrounded by people who could bury you with their talent
the diversity and the exposure to new and different musical talents and techniques is invaluable

a college level curriculum includes ear training at least 5 semesters of it
by the time you are done you can hear a song and write it out on paper
chord for chord and melody note for melody note

it you do well in ear training you could pick up a sheet of music and hear it in your head
now that is powerful

the theory classes allow you to transcend generations of musical knowledge and learn how music was when it first began and take it up to the present
you are taught to write your own compositions and do your own writings some schools require you to write on sibellius
others you are forced to use manuscript paper

either way you become a literate musician who can play in every key

all curriculums have history and listening classes
which have you studying the composers who contributed to your discipline

not only that when you are done

you can teach in a high school or even a college
to supplement your income if you are a church musician

some of the really big churches only want someone who has a degree

finding the right school is very important

but if someone wants to go to school
Encourage that

I dont think there are many circumstances that could stand in the way of having an education

by the way I have a masters degree in education

and although I am not teaching in the field

It has enabled me to get jobs at churches that pay what I would make as a teacher
because of my ability to train choirs just from a teachers stand point,

there is power of life and death in the tongue we all need to be careful how we use it

I totally agree. Im going to school for Business Adminstration/ Accounting but im try to figure out with the Lords help how to fit both music and christianity/theology classes in my 5 year course load somewhere. Nothing beats getting professional instruction.
Always remember Psalms 33:3- Sing unto him a new song; play skillfully with a loud noise.
Pages: [1]   Go Up