LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking 4 ChurchChior songs for Black history month program?  (Read 3776 times)

Looking 4 ChurchChior songs for Black history month program?
« on: January 28, 2004, 12:45:23 PM »
Hello I am a young chior director at my fathers church, and I am looking for some ideas for church chior songs for black history month...does anybody have any ideas?
A sister in Christ
Leanna Frye :D

Offline eliw16

• LGM Member
  • God Is Able!

Here are some ideas:
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2004, 03:03:37 PM »
"I promised the Lord that i would Hold Out" C minor Or Db minor  are good keys for this song.

Just A Note -- You can never go wrong with James Cleveland.

I can help more if i know the median age of the congregation, because that will make a big difference...

Peace and Love in Christ
You can have a gift without repentance, but you can't have the Anointing without repentance.

BerniceBernice

thank so much
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2004, 03:34:44 PM »
Thank you so much! about 75% of the congregation is under 30. I'm not fimiliar with the song, I promised the lord that i would hold out? is that by James cleveland? do you know where I can get the lyrics and or chords to that song? I have about 15 people in the church chior and all but two of them are under 30. thanks again so much for you help
God bless you

Offline SisterT

• Senior Moderator
  • LGM Member
  • New Look, Still Divalicious!
    • Earnest and Roline Ministries

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2004, 07:40:06 AM »
Someone earlier had suggested John P. Kee's "Stand". I think that's a good one.

And then there's Greater St. Stephen's upbeat  version of "We Shall Overcome".

A good congregational hymn would be "We Come This Far By Faith".

Offline cflat

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2004, 09:00:29 PM »
This is what I did for Black History a couple of years ago
We went back in time.  I started out with an introduction of where gospel music comes from. (each Sunday)  1st Sumday I had them to look in the hymn books and notice how some songs had no authors beacuse alot of these songs came from when they were working in the  cotton fields, I also had them to notice how repetitive the words were, and the song told a story. We sung some of those old spirituals and we did not use the piano, organ, or drums.  The second sunday we moved on up  the timeline---example  Thomas A Dorsey- Precious Lord and many more.  The third sunday- you can move a little more down the time line.  I hope this gives you an idea!  If I can find my program that I wrote out with all the introductions and selections, I will post them.

God Bless
Cflat  :D

Thank you
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2004, 04:45:46 PM »
thank you so much for you suggestions, God bless you!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up