LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New at the bass  (Read 703 times)

Offline ltcc

• LGM Member
    • http://

New at the bass
« on: November 16, 2005, 08:06:59 PM »
was fellas?  I just started teaching myself how to play the bass like a coupe days ago.  I started playin to cd's.  My boy let me hold his 6 string so im starting off big can  guys help me with the keys.  I know the notes for each string on the bass B E A D G C. But im havin a hard time knowin and rembering LL THE NOTES IN BETWEEN TH STRINGS I GUESS there called th frats right can ya'll help me

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

New at the bass
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 08:41:10 PM »
lol @ frats

Like someone else stated, in a different post, you might want to start by learning the notes key frets (5th and 12th) next. At the 5th fret, the B string plays the same note as the open E string. It goes this way down all the strings. The 12th fret is the octave fret. It plays the note an octave above the open string equivalent.

Offline bradleymoorer

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Bringing da bass in Jesus name!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/minbrad

New at the bass
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 03:03:42 AM »
I would recommend you start with a 4, lose the 6 get the basics down first. I don't know what your musical background is but get some scales down, majors, minors, blues, etc. hope that helps, peace!
Bradley AKA Bass Monkey

Offline ladybass

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My Bass Grooves

Re: New at the bass
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 06:20:58 AM »
Quote from: ltcc
was fellas?  I just started teaching myself how to play the bass like a coupe days ago.

Congrats and welcome to the community of BASSics

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

New at the bass
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 03:28:59 PM »
ltcc... I just started not to long ago myself... It's sometimes hard...
Getting your questions answered when, you don't know what questions to ask, is the main frustration.  What has helped me, is getting a book, and a DVD.  

"Bass for Dummies" by Pfeifer, will give you a good starting point.  I am thinking about taking lessons too..

So far this is what I have learned about the neck of my 4 string bass.

1.) Each Fret is a half step, so If you start with the E string... the 1st Fret is F, and it moves bye an half step all the way down the neck,

2.) Fret number 12 is indicated on some Basses by the double dot, is the same note as the open string in a different octave.

--- If you get the notes in your head alphabetically forward and backwards, you can kind of feel your way around, to find the notes.

3.) The Musical alphabet is:  Learn scales: This made finding notes easier for me.  Learning the Major and Minor patterns
Pages: [1]   Go Up