LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Professional Playas  (Read 1354 times)

Offline djgroovin

• LGM Member

Professional Playas
« on: November 14, 2005, 09:00:21 AM »
Any bass players out there professional musicians?  You know making a living playing?

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My wife is over my right shoulder.
    • my out of church band

Professional Playas
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 03:32:08 PM »
ME! ME! ME! ME!, but then the alarm clock goes off and GOD saw it fit for me to wake up.....

Spiritfingers

I do...
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 09:01:46 PM »
I was a professional playing for a living.
I am a professional playing for a living.
I will be a professional playing for a living.

I'm speaking prophetically here...  Someone tell me, what's the difference between the cat that get's paid for a living and the guy that wants to get paid for a living...nothing...FAITH.

The cat that's getting paid for a living has walked out on faith.  God has put me in a season where I have to stop looking up to everybody else and start realizing who I am as a bassist.  I can hold me own...See the best bass aren't the one who are the most elusive but the ones who an effective job of expressing their personal style with confidence.  

I sincerely believe that the only reason, I'm not getting the call to play with some of the nicest cats out is, exposure.  You put me in a L.A. or a N.Y.; at Nashville, Chicago, New Orleans.  I've bloomed where I was planted; Okinawa Japan but the fish has gotten too big for this little pond.  Remember the name:  Willie L. Terry Jr. it'll be like Ray, Denzel, Victor, Larry, Hollie

Jesus died that I might be a success! :wink:

Offline NoelII

• LGM Member
    • http://www.kevinsharpe.net

Professional Playas
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 03:53:38 AM »
Yes!!! , but I'm doing alot more than just playing bass. I play other instruments as well as sing, direct, teach privately, and run my studio. No one of those things alone sustains me an my family, it's the combination.  In fact, I know of very few professional folk whose income is derived solely from playing (unless the're doing ALOT of touring). The road can be tiresome after a while particularly if you've got a family.
Psalm 33:3 "Sing unto Him a new song, play skillfully with a loud noise."

Spiritfingers

Professional Playas
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 04:49:26 AM »
oohh but BIGGER

Offline bradleymoorer

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Bringing da bass in Jesus name!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/minbrad

Professional Playas
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 05:00:02 AM »
to touch on what noel was saying, my uncle plays for a lot of people when they come to philly, they seek him out, that being said he still has a full time job, unless you are really out there, it seems like you can't make a living off of playing the bass. When the Air Force is done with me being overseas the first thing I am going to do is go for a choir in the states, but I will still be in the Air Force, I do have a wife and a son to look after.
Bradley AKA Bass Monkey

Spiritfingers

Bradley
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2005, 04:47:49 PM »
Bradley,

I'm glad you shed some light on that cause that's something I've been having conflict with.  You're USAF, I'm USAF dependant (family member spouse, whatever...)  I'm a GS employee but it don't pay the bills.  I'm going to school but I gotta wait until I finish to really make some real loot.  In the mean time, I have this passion for playing that eats me up.  

My wife is most supportive of my music.  I'm trully blessed.  She's more supportive of me going to school.  I'm also trying to support the family but I can't but think that I have to get bassin a serious shot.  As for a churuch choir, I understand your situation but when I get back to the states, I'm going to look to start a band that will go into the clubs and compell them to come. ...and supporting my family.

FINGAZ

Offline basedigrace

• LGM Member
    • http://www.myspace.com/eriksancho

Professional Playas
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005, 01:13:37 AM »
I try but it's not easy.
The only cats I know that make a living playing are always on tour with the major pop acts and heavy session players. All the other musicians I know either teach or have regular 9 to 5.
It's not easy to make a living as a musician. Our economy is to crappy to make a living of the arts. It's not like it used to be back in the day.

Spiritfingers

I'm glad you all spoke about this...
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2005, 06:49:51 AM »
I'm glad someone put this out...I was looking at this like I wanted to do it full time but realize this is simular to playing pro basketball or football or something like that.  You have to be in the top 5 % and work you butt off, pull some strings just to get noticed.  I'm going to keep working at it though.  I'm just to keep working to support my family and finish my degree.

Thanks,
Fingaz

Offline djgroovin

• LGM Member

Professional Playas
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2005, 10:39:37 AM »
You definately have to have a more than one thing going on.  It can't be your only job since you don't get a 1 or 2 week paycheck.  My bass instructor teaches at the music store during the day and gigs 3-5 nights a week at local clubs.  Then he is always getting last minute gig calls.

I met this other guy that works during the week and just plays at church on Sundays and that Sunday services pays his mortgage.  I would love to have that kinda setup.  I think it can be done, just what do you want to do with it.

Spiritfingers

That's where it's at...
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2005, 04:31:06 PM »
DJ hit the nail on the head.

Don't get me wrong I love playing for the church and I would even if I don't get paid.  But some of the stuff we have to do just to prepare for Sundays is tough.  Not to mention if you do like I do and do concerts in the community with the church.  Work with the children...  

I believe after a musician has demonstrated that they understand submission and faithful service to God and to their leaders, then the leadership should at least make an attempt to take care of it's musicians.  I believe in Leviticus the priest of the tribe of Levi were allowed to eat some of the meats that people brought as sacrifices.  I have a book that talks about all this.  

One of my brothers who is pastoring a big church in Virginia decided to hire his Minister of Music on his staff and place him in charge of the facilities and maintenance at the church.  Now I thought that was genious!

Sore subject with me but if when preachers preach, they are expecting an honorarium for their labor, somehow this doesn't trick down to the musicians.  I'm think at least break your musicians and praise people off on special occasions.  Maybe it's just me but I don't think we should strike is there is no pay but at the same time, leaders shouldn't take it for granted that their musicians should get paid.  I'm talking about skilled musicians.

FINGAZ
Pages: [1]   Go Up