LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Run  (Read 18111 times)

New Run
« on: January 31, 2004, 05:17:32 AM »
2_5_1 Left Hand Progression, with run in the right hand. The left hand is playing a M7th 2_5_1 in G, this involves a "timing thing" so play slowly until you get used to it!

midi file:http://www.sharemation.com/hammondman/Run%20In%20G.mid

FP / LH / RH

A / GC#F# / G_B_D_E
D / F#CF / F_E_D_C
G / FBE / B_B_C_C#_D_G

Offline BBoy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Let's Praise Jesus Together!

New Run
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2004, 06:10:07 AM »
Great guys! Thank God for both of you and the things you guys post! Keep on giving out, bros . . . I believe the more you sow into our lives, the more God will bless the two of you (and all others out there who post!)
Now Be Blessed . . . BBoy  8)
Joshua 1: 7, 8

Offline Juvenile

• LGM Member

New Run
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2004, 04:55:52 AM »
hey guys are these 4 the organ only, can i use them of the keys too. Thanx
Lord help me learn the piano.

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

New Run
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2004, 06:21:48 AM »
There's no such thing as organ-only or piano-only runs/chords whatever. You can use anything you want. Some people constrain themselves by playing within "the way the instrument is played".

Don't worry about that. It's hard enough that you have brit ears. ;)
(For those that don't know, I'm joking with 'em. He understands. :) )

Offline ee_guy

• LGM Member

New Run
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2004, 10:37:38 AM »
Quote from: B3Wannabe
There's no such thing as organ-only or piano-only runs/chords whatever. You can use anything you want. Some people constrain themselves by playing within "the way the instrument is played".

I'll politely (very politely) disagree with you B3Wannabe.  There are some things that are possible on the organ which are not possible on the piano.  An example of this would be Jimmy Smith's "shotgun".  A piano's action will not respond fast enuf.  Another organ thing (Hammond) would be the palm wipe.  You can maybe do something like this on a piano, but you will leave skin on the keys.  My point here is that any riff or run that contained these would be organ-only.

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

New Run
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2004, 06:25:52 PM »
Hmm. :)

Since I haven't heard anything of Jimmy Smith's, I can't form an opinion about it, but I have heard runs and chords duplicated on instruments before. A palm swipe is more of a technique than a run, so of course you can't do that on a piano--really well, but you can do it using your forearm (which I have seen). That's a technique used on both the organ and the piano. What I'm talking about is taking things like trumpet riffs, drum rhythms, vocalist riffs, etc. and duplicating it on whatever instrument you're playing....That's possible. It's not the piano's action that slow, but weak fingers. A lot of classical players can do 64ths+ because of practice and hand exercises.

You don't have to be too polite. I'm not sensitive. ;) I like debates anyway. I think that 2 points for me and 1 point for you.  :P

I'm going to try to find this "shotgun" that you speak of.

Start another thread if you have a reply, so we don't hijack mj's post.

Offline ee_guy

• LGM Member

New Run
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2004, 04:14:33 AM »
Smith's "shotgun" is just the incredibly fast repetition of a note.  We're talking (maybe) 256's here.

I've heard that forearm thing done on the piano.  Pretty cool when done right.

I've always found that if I wear a conical wizards hat, nobody notices my point (on top of my head).

:D

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

New Run
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2004, 07:03:01 AM »
Quote from: mjfeltnor
Who do you know that can do a guitar or bass slide on keys

Ok. Maybe--and it's just a slight maybe--a person can't do that, but some keyboards come with that function builtin, so it is possible, with the help of the board, to do it.  That's like pitch-bend. The new Hammond organs have pitch-bend on them. That's one technique that wasn't there before. All I'm saying is that I don't form cans and can'ts with music at all.

Me: 3  :P
ee: 1 (you suck)
mj: 1 (you suck too)

I concede the bass pedal thing only partly because you're thinking of a normal piano....BUT it is possible to play piano and bass. Can we say midi? (I think I deserve another point for that!)

Offline ee_guy

• LGM Member

New Run
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2004, 04:12:53 AM »
mj - He's messing' with our minds...

B3Wannabe - I think that, in fact, I don't "suck".  I really don't play that bad!

Also, I get 2 points for being (very) polite; another point for being half-way in agreement with what you say (our difference is small); and one more point for using semi-colons in this sentence.

ee - 5
B3 - 3
mj - 1

8)

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

New Run
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2004, 07:44:32 AM »
Politeness has nothing to do with this... (minus 2)
...nor do semicolons (minus 1)

For further aggravation, I have a full-sized 25note--and a 13note--midi pedal board. These pedal boards can be plugged into a module, loaded with an acoustic bass sound, and played with keys or both keys and organ, if you know what you're doing, for a jazzy-type sound. Don't tell me I can't play bass with piano! :P

One day, I'll record that....just wait until I get my Motif. (plus 2 for me)

Offline ee_guy

• LGM Member

New Run
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2004, 11:32:41 AM »
B3Wannbe, all I'm saying is that I think of some runs and riffs as being representative or belonging to a particular instrument.  And I'm entitled to my opinion on this - right or wrong (so there, too and also)!  For example, you could play the organ part on "Gimme Some Lovin'" on the piano, but it would sound stupid.  That gliss and "3 over 2" riff belongs to the Hammond.

I only slightly disagree with what you have said about experimentation and innovation.  Trying different combinations - say piano-type phrasing on the organ is fun and may result in something very cool.  But it's just not me.  I'll stay constrained by the instrument, thank you.

An automatic 10,000 points for me:  I'm playing the geezer card!

I was kicking the B with a Krueger string bass (on the pedals) simultaneously with a Wurlitzer EP (and later a Mini-Moog Model D) before you were born!  (This means that I've been playing synths for over 30 years.)  And I learned it from old guys when I was a kid.  We keyboardists have been working at imitating other instruments for centuries!  Look at the names of the stops on a 500 year-old pipe organ.

Why would I find what you are doing aggravating?  I play the synth every Sunday in church.  Sometimes I do screaming electric guitar leeds, with distortion, feedback and pitch bend - joystick controlled, of course.  Other times I'll cop a sax or flute.  But I do play guitar-like, sax-like, or flute-like things to make the synthesized experience more real.  (Some runs and riffs belong to specific instruments).

I don't think or play "out-of-the-box".  I don't invent.  I don't try to impress anyone with my playing.  I just like to play for worship.  (And I'm going to be an organist (Hammondist?) until the day I die and hopefully after that, too!)

But for you, my friend, I've seen a couple of your videos and I've read what you think about playing (on this forum).  I think very highly of you as a player and a musician (and I know that others on this forum do too).

So I say:  "Bravo B3Wannabe!"  "Bravo!"

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

New Run
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2004, 04:46:02 PM »
:)

Quote from: ee_guy
Why would I find what you are doing aggravating?

Sorry, I didn't mean it that way.

MINI-MOOG!

I've only seen those, never played one.

Since you know what I'm talking about, you only beat me by 1 point, but mj loses big time. (He sucks)  :wink:
Pages: [1]   Go Up