LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Choir Rehearsal  (Read 2807 times)

princeoftheb3

Choir Rehearsal
« on: December 14, 2005, 01:35:50 AM »
Do ya'll think it's right to stay in rehearsal until the choir can learn the songs without the words, or do you think that you should get in the choir on Sunday with papers in their hands, not knowing the songs, and still messing up?

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

Re: Choir Rehearsal
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 08:17:57 AM »
Quote from: princeoftheb3
Do ya'll think it's right to stay in rehearsal until the choir can learn the songs without the words, or do you think that you should get in the choir on Sunday with papers in their hands, not knowing the songs, and still messing up?

You already know the answer to this, but in case you don't:

1. If it's a gospel choir, then they should know the words. It should be in there spirit. If not, it's just singing
2. If it's a church choir, and they're using hymn books or sheet music with musical notation, then that's ok. For instance, if your choir were singing Handel's Messiah (the traditional version, not Quincy Jones')
3. Not knowing a song is simply unacceptable! I need not go any further.

Hope this helps,
Jonathan
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

princeoftheb3

Choir Rehearsal
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 12:23:02 AM »
you feel like I do, but some people say I'm mean, cause I don't like for folks to leave Choir rehearsal, not having accomplished anything.

Offline bishop2

• LGM Member

Choir Rehearsal
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 09:21:10 AM »
Ok I'm new to the board, but I think this will help you a little.

I see my choir rehearsals as a service, that I am responsible for, which means I can't let anything "off" go on... The question I want to ask is, what goes on in your practices that causes your members to not know the words... Is, it to much talking, find out what is their problem.

The second thing (NoT to attack you personally) how are you teaching.. Teachin' a song is like bringing the word, yor have to make it plain and simple for EVERYONE to get it at the same time.  I have worked with MANY choirs who, with their minister of music were HORRIBLE, but as soon as I get up they get it, and their faith is lifted that they can do it, why? because I teach in a way where you can't help but get it.  The anointing has to flow through you even more at a practice, because people usually don't come to practice with their mind in gear to have church.  The anointing in you will bring their minds in...  
Thirdly, You HAVE TO BE STRICT!!!
Don't let folks run you in YOUR rehearsal.  Strict, not "additudish" strict, not unreasonable.
Not a barking dog, but a serious minister... :wink:

And yes, we will be ordering pizza if we don't get it right, don't let them go, you tell tehm that by them not knowing the music they have now become a stumbling block to the service... What if elder got up on a sunday and didn't know what the heck he was preaching about, they would alomst lynch the poor preacher, see what I'm saying.  It's like a teacher when you were is school that did not know what they were talkin' about, it made you mad, and eventually you would come to class, and not a pay attention, and that is what will happen to your choir in your church if they don't stop this madness, the congregation will shut you off...
Hope this helps ya a little..

BE BLESSED

churchyreal

Choir Rehearsal
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 09:32:46 AM »
I am very lenient within the music ministry and one thing I am lenient on is allowing choir members to use papers. Am I being too lenient or should I just allow them to use  their papers on Sunday?

Offline bishop2

• LGM Member

Choir Rehearsal
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 09:46:39 AM »
The song should be in them...
Now I use papers for some songs, but NOT EVERY song, this will kinda wean them off of them, I would try to sing the song at practice when you are done teaching without the papers... What kinda songs do you teach???  And what is the age range of the group...
Sunday papers are a big NO NO.  Gospel choir is from the heart, and a lot of stuff off the cuff..  That means they don't know how to ad-lib huh?  Because that is something you can't do to a paper, feel me?
Pages: [1]   Go Up