LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Learning your keys!  (Read 1006 times)

Offline DrummerBoyGil

• LGM Member

Learning your keys!
« on: November 25, 2005, 12:48:38 AM »
I've noticed that alot of people have had questions about playing in different keys, and my cousin told me a way to learn to play in those keys a while back and it's worked for me so far. So, for this, since A is such a hard key, we're gonna use A  :D  Keep in mind, I can't play in A, so as I'm sharing with you, I'm learning myself, so I might make a mistake or too  :lol:

What you do is you start with the A scale

A,B,C#,D,E,F#,G#,A

Keep at that till you learn that scale by heart and can run it up and down with your eyes closed. After that, run the major/minor chords (And one diminished) for that key, which would be:

1 - A-C#-E,  Amajor
2 - B-D-F#,  Bminor
3- Db-E-Ab,  Dbminor
4 - D-F#-A,  Dmajor
5 - E-Ab-B,   Emajor
6 - F#-A-C# F#minor
7 - Ab-B-D   Abdiminished
(Ack, there was a name for this, I can't remember it though, maybe someone that reads it will)

Anyways, you go on from there and learn as many of your different chords as you can in that key.  You don't have to do it all at once, just a way to help you learn it. I also found out it helps when you write things down. I have 2 note books that I keep right now: One that I use that has the different scale and chord formulas, and the other that has chords that I got from people and the first song that I ever chorded. It helps alot :-D

I'll be posting this in the other forums too, just incase I have a chance to bless someone. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up