LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pastor's Role  (Read 3880 times)

churchyreal

Pastor's Role
« on: December 10, 2005, 12:49:25 PM »
I would like to know what the Pastor's role in the music ministry is. Sometimes I believe that the Pastor gets too involved with the music ministry and doesn't focus on his/her main objective, preaching and declaring the word of God. What do y'all think?

Offline Freddy229

• LGM Member
    • http://

Pastor's Role
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 05:52:17 PM »
You are rght in felling slighted. However, most pastors assume authority over ALL auxiliaries including the music ministry! You need to first of all figure out where the problem is...is it you or it it him? Maybe you just need to submit yourself a little better... If it is him, then pray for understanding between the both of you and ask God if you even need to address the issue.

The best way is to make sure that the both of you create a balance and understanding.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

Pastor's Role
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 01:23:39 PM »
In my humble opinion, the Pastor is, for lack of better terms, the "head praise & worship leader", so he should know what exactly is going on within the music ministry, address any concerns, and offer suggestions for music or otherwise.

I know that my pastor is very involved in the music ministry and it works very well. He knows what songs the musicians know, so that when the Spirit moves, my pastor can move with it and can ask for assistance from the music ministry.

It works well for the church when the Pastor and the MOM are on one accord. Take the advice of the last poster and discuss any concerns with your Pastor, share your heart and allow God move within your discussion.

Be Blessed,
Jonathan
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline Brorich

• LGM Member

Pastor's Role
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 03:41:53 AM »
I beleve the pastor is the appointed angel of the church. I think the pastor
should be aware of what is going on in the music department. If every thing is going smoothly and no confusion the pastor should bud out!

Offline gaman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Pastor's Role
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 06:24:12 PM »
The Pastor has several duties. Over-all God expects him to be overseer over all auxilaires. so therefore.. he appoints diffrent people to help him out like Praise and Worship leaders, Minister of Music, Head Deacon and etc... Those people still are under the leadership of the Pastor. The Pastor does not have to answer to any one in authority over any auxillary. The Pastor is Pastor over all clubs, auxiallaries, and etc within the chuyrch. He appointed help. I do not understand how a DEACON OR CHURCH MEMBER CAN TELL A PASTOR WHAT TO PREACH AND ETC.. THAT IS NOT HOW GOD DESIGN IT TO BE. AS A MATTER OF FACT, GOD DID NOT DESIGN THE PASTOR TO TAKE ORDER FROM THE DEACSON OR ANYONE.. I am a leader at my church and I tell them all the time.. I only take suggesion, construcitve critisicm, opinions and etc.. from the people that I am over.. I refused to let anyone boss me around due to whatever reason.. simply b/c i have to answer to God for the thigns that I am over.. and If I ever get in trouble with him.. it will not be b/c I was influence by others people.. anyway.. I am not mean but I am straighfprward...Can you tell YET!!  :P

uniquepraise

Pastor's Role
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 07:30:25 PM »
The Pastor is the leader over all and therefore leader over those appointed to the praise & worship team/music ministry.

Our Apostle is VERY VERY involved with our praise and worship team.  He is confident in our abilities but also makes sure that we are sharp in what we are trying to do in a service.  IF we sound a mess or missed it he tells us that if we did a good job he tells us that also.  Its like an evaluation...after all if you're messing up wouldnt you want to know so that you can correct it or would you just want to be fired without any reason?

Tell everything in love and learn to listen and take heed to the advice...it you and it will help the ministry. Sometimes we can take offense to things when we shouldnt so be prayerful and make sure that you are understanding everything as it should be and then move forward.  :D

churchyreal

Pastor's Role
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2005, 08:04:07 AM »
I just was kind of confused on the Pastor's role within music ministry because I always thought that the Pastor was suppose to focus on the preaching on the word. I just didn't understand.

Offline Jazzybeatz

• LGM Member

Pastor's Role
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2005, 11:35:11 PM »
I think the Pastor has a right to know what's going on in the music ministry, because it's part of the ministry (a large part).

I think that the minister of music should be left alone to do their job. I think that God gives everyone in the congregation a talent/role to play in the minstry, if it was not so, the Pastor could do everything and wouldn't need anyone. I feel that the Pastor and MOM should keep a close relationship and meet on a regular basis to discuss things.

The MOM should have a vision for their ministry, and that vision should be shared with the Pastor to see if both wants to head in the same direction. The Pastor and the MOM should also have the same mission/duty for the music ministry. That's a big problem today- some pastor don't see the music ministry as ministry and vice versa. Being on one accord is vital.

I think it's great that the pastor shows interest in the ministry- they should! They should at least come to a rehearsal to complement the choir and musicians on how well they are doing, and progress (if there is any). But, I think the MOM should be allow to do their job without any handcuff or distractions.

Offline bishop2

• LGM Member

LET ME SAY THIS
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2005, 04:09:38 PM »
Let me say this,
The music department has a direct partnership with the pastor... The choir should be singing songs to not only lift the people, but set the pastors soul on fire.. (THEY PREACH BETTER THAT WAY)  You are like the pastor's right hand..  This is why I tell people that if your pastor likes old timey stuff, as bad as you don't like it, you have to sing it/play it more than once a month... Because it's an encouragement to him/her.  He also as was stated above needs to know whats going on and have an active role in the music dept, until he/she feels comfortable with your judgement. Remember, he/she is responsible and accountable to God for everything that goes on in that church, not you... :)

Offline SisterT

• Senior Moderator
  • LGM Member
  • New Look, Still Divalicious!
    • Earnest and Roline Ministries

Pastor's Role
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2005, 08:06:20 PM »
I just had to respond to this particular post. There is sooooo much error, probably due to tradition in your beliefs. For years, especially in smaller rural churches, the members had a "We Gots This" attitude.  :? They expected the Pastor to preach on Sunday and they run the business and ministry affairs of the church. A lot of those same churches are operating under the belief that the Deacons are in charge of the church.

Quote from: Jazzybeatz
I think the Pastor has a right to know what's going on in the music ministry, because it's part of the ministry (a large part).

You were on target here. Anything that is part of the church that the Pastor oversees is ultimately his responsiblity. The Pastor oversees EVERY ministry, service, business, or "goings on" that functions in the church he is assigned to.

I think that the minister of music should be left alone to do their job. I think that God gives everyone in the congregation a talent/role to play in the minstry, if it was not so, the Pastor could do everything and wouldn't need anyone. I feel that the Pastor and MOM should keep a close relationship and meet on a regular basis to discuss things.

How many people on any job are left alone to do that job. Most people are supervised by someone. In any place of organization, whomever is the person is charge will have a style of running things. That is what one has to adjust to. SOme Pastors sit back and allow their people too much "freedom". Some micromanage. Whatever the case, you must submit to the leadership style of the person whom God has placed to shepherd the congregation.

The MOM should have a vision for their ministry, and that vision should be shared with the Pastor to see if both wants to head in the same direction. The Pastor and the MOM should also have the same mission/duty for the music ministry. That's a big problem today- some pastor don't see the music ministry as ministry and vice versa. Being on one accord is vital.

God's give the vision for the church to the PASTOR, not the MOM. The Plans for the music mnistry of the MOM should fall in line with the total vision of the Pastor. Wouldn't it be crazy for each ministry of the church to have a seperate vision and began to operate with seperate vision. That is called DIVISION and Chaos. And a house divided against itself will not stand. If the MOM have issues and problems and do not folllow the vision that God has given the Pastor, that MOM is out of the will of God and is actin in disobedience.

I think it's great that the pastor shows interest in the ministry- they should! They should at least come to a rehearsal to complement the choir and musicians on how well they are doing, and progress (if there is any). But, I think the MOM should be allow to do their job without any handcuff or distractions.

Yes, we all need encouragement. However, you work in submission to the Pastor. Therefore, the bottom line...what the Pastor says is what goes. Now, most Music ministry do not have Pastors who try to micromanage the music ministry. But if you do, remember, as someone said, it is the Pastor that is accountable to God for every work that goes on in the church, not the MOM, deacon, usher, etc. With that kind of responsibility, why blame a "brother" or "sister" for wanting to get very involved in the work of the ministry.

Offline Jazzybeatz

• LGM Member

Pastor's Role
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2006, 01:10:49 AM »
My comments, or opinion comes from my experience. I've been in a situation where the Pastor take total control of the music ministry and I've been in the situation where the MOM is allowed "freedom."

I've taken a break from the MOM job and now I'm just an organist, but when I was an MOM, me and my pastor used to meet on a regular basis. Actually- myself, along with my staff (all musicians and a choir representitive-like a choir president) would meet and talk about things that happened, where we plan to go next, and get dates for the calendar straight. This where my vision comment came into play. The pastor really didn't mind what we did...as long as it was in decent and in order, it was fine. The choirs did a variety of music and the congregation was very responsive to the music ministry. At the end of every year, myself with the help of a few others would draft a report of the year, and a proposal with goals for the next year for the pastor to read, then we would discuss it in our next meeting. We encouraged some disagreements, but they were worked out and things worked fine. We also had meeting with the whole music ministry every quarter to discuss goals, progress and such.

I was the assistant to the MOM in this next situation. The pastor was a musician, but not a very good one. He could only play in one key, and his ear was defiantly not the greatest. However, he would hire a minister of music, but often he would come in to rehearsal unannounced, and teach songs and such...then expect everyone to know everything by Sunday. After a while, the MOM became confused, and we had a meeting cause everyone really wanted to know what their role was in the ministry. His role for the MOM on paper, and his actions didn't line up...so many got fired, or left.

I say that things work better when the Pastor and the MOM can trust each other and agree by actions. If you hire a talented and annointed MOM, they should trust them to flow in the spirit and do what the Lord tells them.

Offline bishop2

• LGM Member

Pastor's Role
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2006, 11:32:12 AM »
Not to sound funny or deep, just making a statement based on what I have experienced.

That is why you can't "HIRE" a MOM, you got to pray one in.  And when you pray him/her in you don't deal with issues like that, and that goes for both sides.  If you are lead God will lead you where you need to go, and if it is a crazy experience, then it was for you to learn something.
A church here in Oakland offered me a MOM job making $730 a sunday, if I was moved by a job, I would have took that so fast...WHEW
But you can't get me by money, it's by what God says, and the fact that you bring up money first, you are trying to grab me by carnality, not in the spirit... Kinda understand what I'm trying to say?

Offline Jazzybeatz

• LGM Member

Pastor's Role
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2006, 12:00:17 AM »
Quote from: bishop2
Not to sound funny or deep, just making a statement based on what I have experienced.

That is why you can't "HIRE" a MOM, you got to pray one in.  And when you pray him/her in you don't deal with issues like that, and that goes for both sides.  If you are lead God will lead you where you need to go, and if it is a crazy experience, then it was for you to learn something.
A church here in Oakland offered me a MOM job making $730 a sunday, if I was moved by a job, I would have took that so fast...WHEW
But you can't get me by money, it's by what God says, and the fact that you bring up money first, you are trying to grab me by carnality, not in the spirit... Kinda understand what I'm trying to say?

AMEN!!!!  :D

Offline stereoman1970

• LGM Member

Pastor's Role
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2006, 12:29:50 PM »
I Fell Like wise that the Pastor Is The Spiritual Godhead of The Church..
He is (if Truly Godly) a Direct line From God to Us. It is imerative to Give The M O M some free range. But all & All it is Everyone even The M Ministers responsibillity to Submit to His Authority. We should be submissive in all areas.
 Example:
I was a Choir Member at a church for 5 years But attended & was a member for 14 years. God Began toMove In my heart  to explore The Call  he Placed In My Life @ 17 (I'm 35 Now)so one night at Dinner our best friends who attend a sister Church ashed Me If I'd ever conscider leaving My Church to Be The Praise and Worship leader.. Sure I said quickly if its in Gids Plan..well 3 Days Later They Formally Invited me..
I went & Sang.. Their Church was In turmoul.. Pastor Being Voted Out.. Praise Leader Quiting (walked off stage Yelling at Pastoe 2 weeks Earlier.
I sang They Were Moce I was appauled at The ungodly feeling on The Platform.. Instantly I Knew This was not Gods Plan..
            That next Weds I told My Director I was Home and Staying..Well that Night God Poured Out all Over Me.. I was Up & Down... I Couldn't Get Release from it or  to do It.. The Next Sevice Was Preaching On Getting Up & Returning Gods CALL!! Man I was Like Ok .. Now I'm More Confused.. God Why Would You want Me a a Church That Voted Out Their Pastor? Why at a Place That The Piano Player Only Is Their maybe 3 sevices a month.. The Drimmer Is 12 Bass Player also.. Why God..Then That sundayNight Our Youth pastor Preached On What if God Calls You, Then has to Put You On Hold for The better Good of a church? Then God Began toMove in me ... Maybe This Church was for My Wife Or One of My 4 Kids.. What if God Neede Them There.. at That Time so I Decided that Gods struggle In My soul Was that we may show This Church How To Support a Pastor..So we Resigned Our Church of 14 Years & transfered Our Membership.. Right in The middle Of Their Storm..
                    They asked me at every sevice to Do music.. Finally I accept The Plight..Then They Vote In The first Pastor That Tried Out.. (But I Know He's a God Send) & When He Gets there He says no position Can be held within The Church Until You've been a member 1 year..
   Uh Oh I had only been there 3 or4 weeks....& My Membership Had Not Been transfered..They allowed Me to stillsing Specials... But Now their Old M o m Was Back & The New Pastor Never New He Left...Theer was alot of anger Now at Me even being There...But I refused to go ... I Just Bowed Out & Let God Move... (or Not Move)I Just Stood On God... Now We have had 1 meeting Where Pastor Said ALL Musicians and singers need to ...... & He laid Out Rules Like No Missing service...Must Practice as a Group 2 times a week other than sevice time..hje also said rotate specials  out 1 on sunday am 2 pm.. No Back to Back Specials.. He has Taken Over all Authoratative Control of The Praise Team..
      When asked Where Platform members Of The Praise team ,He asked the Old Leader.. & I was Not Included..In The List..Iwas sitting In The Back if The Church almost Feeling Like I wanted to Shrivel up..
Then He Told The Old Leader (That Walked Off of The Stage & Quit Coming Until He foud Out They were replacing Him..) He would be in Charge of Deciding Who Would sing & When ..
         But I Hung In...Its Not about Me.. Or You or anyone else BUT GOD..
I Know That when God is Done working Through This new Pastor He'll see Who God Led to Do This Praise.. & If Its Me .. So be it If Not I'll Still attend & Still submit5 To My Pastor .. (Who has been there Less time than me) He was godly Appointed.. Stand Behind Your Pastor
Pages: [1]   Go Up