LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Songs At Your Church  (Read 1568 times)

Offline XtromatriX

• LGM Member

New Songs At Your Church
« on: December 10, 2005, 09:11:55 PM »
I was wondering how you all learn and play new songs at your Church (Mainly Praise Team Songs). For example... Does your Music Minister/Director have you learn one song and get it down tight before beginning to to learn another song? How do you organize the songs that you do?

Offline bradleymoorer

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Bringing da bass in Jesus name!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/minbrad

New Songs At Your Church
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 04:52:25 AM »
well I am the minister of music for my church and I don't have time to teach the band and the choir on one night so, we set up musicians rehersal. We usually don't have enough time to get it tight but when we have choir rehersal everything seems to fall together. Also what ever song you are going to do, find out the what it is going to be the previous sunday. This way you have an entire week to practice, peace!
Bradley AKA Bass Monkey

Offline djgroovin

• LGM Member

New Songs At Your Church
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 10:04:46 AM »
At my church we generally try to start out with praise songs (more up tempo) and to get everyone involved. Then gradually go into worship mode.  Music effects you so emotionally.  I've found that this helps to make that personal connection with GOD for each induvidual.  But sometimes it's all worship.

Generally you would try to have a rehearsal during the week before.  The song doesn't have to be perfect before you introduce a new one as long as everyone is one on same page for the changes it will turnout o.k.  It is a great experience once you have a pretty good set of songs for praise and woship and just flow with it.  Let it naturally happen.

Offline XtromatriX

• LGM Member

New Songs At Your Church
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 01:16:26 PM »
Thanks for your input, it really helps in what I'm trying to figure out. See at out Church we have an extremely limited time for rehearsal, and I'm just trying to see how other choirs and musicians make the most of their rehearsal time to get the best results.

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My wife is over my right shoulder.
    • my out of church band

New Songs At Your Church
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 09:29:13 AM »
My Praise Team Director, will present use with a 5 songs on lets say saturday evening, that I have never heard of, well maybe 3 I've never heard of. She'll give me the Chord charts and then after that I'm on my own. Not even knowing the "riddim". Which may explain me needing cheat sheets once in a while.

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • my out of church band

New Songs At Your Church
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 09:30:02 AM »
and then we having to play them the day after.

Offline elio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

New Songs At Your Church
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 10:01:44 AM »
Quote from: MikeGee
and then we having to play them the day after.

Ha! Real men don't even get their songs on a Saturday night, they pick them up as the singer is singing, and they play them exactly like the CD (which they've never even heard), including all the fills and riffs.... :wink:

Only joking, Mike, you must have some busy Saturday nights... :wink:

But what about the look on their face of your fellow musicians when you wing it on a Sunday morning and everything falls into place? Priceless.....  :D

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

New Songs At Your Church
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005, 01:13:02 PM »
My Praise Team Director, will present use with a 5 songs on lets say saturday evening, that I have never heard of, well maybe 3 I've never heard of. She'll give me the Chord charts and then after that I'm on my own. Not even knowing the "riddim". Which may explain me needing cheat sheets once in a while.

How long you been playing MikeGee.

I'm still taking  baby steps, and would be absolutely lost, come Sunday Morning in that scenario.[/quote]

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • my out of church band

New Songs At Your Church
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2005, 01:48:38 PM »
about 27 months, I've been studing theroy whichs helps a lot to come up with something, I've studided methods of how to create something from chord charts. I don't have that awsome "groove" yet but I do maintain that bottom end very well. I am ok at winging it just knowing the key.

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

New Songs At Your Church
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2005, 01:52:30 PM »
27 months, see you making a brother, think... lets see...

12 months in a year, 27/12 = 2 with 3 months left over... Okay I gotcha..

:lol:

But really that is inspirational, I haven't been playing all that long, but look forward to the day where I can keep up with the rest of the musicians.  

Thanks,

{crackin' back open the "Bass for Dummies Book"}

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • my out of church band

New Songs At Your Church
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2005, 05:49:48 AM »
Quote from: Torch7
27 months, see you making a brother, think... lets see...

12 months in a year, 27/12 = 2 with 3 months left over... Okay I gotcha..

:lol:

But really that is inspirational, I haven't been playing all that long, but look forward to the day where I can keep up with the rest of the musicians.  

Thanks,

{crackin' back open the "Bass for Dummies Book"}

That book was a great start for me it has helped me a lot.
I open it often. i got 3 words arpeggios, arpeggios and arpeggios

Offline Docdb04

• LGM Member
  • I Stand At the Door and Knock

Introducing New Songs
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2005, 09:07:30 AM »
I am not the minister of music, but I am over the praise and worship ministry.  Whenever I want them to learn a new song, I check for the sheet music first.  I order the songbook, praise and worship song books.  Once I get the music, I develope my chord chart.  Once I do that I have rehearsal with the drummer (It is only the piano and drums).  Then I teach it to the Praise and Worship ministry.  Our rehearsals are only for 1 1/2 hrs., so I learn all of this material before hand.  All songs that I planning on teaching the ministry, I sit down and have them all prepared in advance.  If I can't get the music to the song then I'll sit and listen and learn it by ear.  Even If I have the music, a lot of times I listen to the CD to hear the arrangement they used at that time.  I give them (the Praise Team) a basic harmony guideline, go from there, and just let the anointing fall.

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • my out of church band

Re: Introducing New Songs
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2005, 07:05:15 PM »
Quote from: Docdb04
I am not the minister of music, but I am over the praise and worship ministry.  Whenever I want them to learn a new song, I check for the sheet music first.  I order the songbook, praise and worship song books.  Once I get the music, I develope my chord chart.  Once I do that I have rehearsal with the drummer (It is only the piano and drums).  Then I teach it to the Praise and Worship ministry.  Our rehearsals are only for 1 1/2 hrs., so I learn all of this material before hand.  All songs that I planning on teaching the ministry, I sit down and have them all prepared in advance.  If I can't get the music to the song then I'll sit and listen and learn it by ear.  Even If I have the music, a lot of times I listen to the CD to hear the arrangement they used at that time.  I give them (the Praise Team) a basic harmony guideline, go from there, and just let the anointing fall.

I'm a bit jealous  :D , There's a few times that I have my own "cheat sheet" to a song we are doing, most of the times that I do i have it in a different kay.

Offline mr_layback

• LGM Member

New Songs At Your Church
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2005, 12:21:21 AM »
At my church, you can never be too prepared. I get hit with a whole lot of songs in a very short period of time. The bad thing is that we never "perfect" a song before we move on to the next one. Sheet music and hearing the song helps tremendously, but ofter sheet music is not available. I usually listen to the song and write out the chord progressions once I find the root. Then when rehearsal comes I figure out how our keybord player transitions through the song. Finally I add my own fills.
Perfect Practice Makes Perfect!
Pages: [1]   Go Up