LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: good pitch bad tone  (Read 1407 times)

Offline diverse379

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Players Govern Players Spectators Form Opinions

good pitch bad tone
« on: December 12, 2005, 07:50:48 PM »
the pitch when i sing is decent but my tone is poor
i am a baitone and would love to sing i can sing rain down alvin slaughter
pretty well

i know i have problems with supporting my voice othther than taking voice lessons is there any advice to get the proper breathing thing down sometimes i have it and my tone is good then its gone just like that

i am the minister of music at my church and sometimes i will sing a song and it will flow my tone is good and my breath connected

then the next time up it sounds lousy i am coming from my throat

whats the deal?

any advice i dont think i can afford a teacher at the moment but would love to hear any input maybe i will have to bite the bullet and get a teacher
To be or not to be that is the question you anwer when you pray practice and read your word

Offline TheClef

• LGM Member

Re: good pitch bad tone
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 02:09:59 PM »
I'm a baritone, and when I started voice lessons, my breath support was better when I started paying attention to it in other contexts than simply singing. When I would walk, I would practice breathing and releasing the diaphragm (the organ located above the stomach), filling up with air and using that in my everyday breathing. Eventually, that method became my default way to breath.

I think the pressure to make big sound causes us to throat-sing  much too often. You have to train the breath before it can work for you, and that can take weeks, even months (dare I say, years) of consistent attention.

Offline diverse379

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Players Govern Players Spectators Form Opinions

Re: good pitch bad tone
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 03:53:34 PM »
Thanks man that was kind of an on time quick lesson

I dont worry about breathing until i have to sing a song and then it is kind of late to retrain but to think about correct breathing during the day driving walking etc

is a great concept
so simple yet profound why didnt i thiink of doing that

no matter you thought of it for me thanks

i will let you know how it works out

21 days to make a habit talk to you in three weeks

God Bless
To be or not to be that is the question you anwer when you pray practice and read your word
Pages: [1]   Go Up