LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I Have A Serious Vocal Problem  (Read 2171 times)

Offline Vangelist

• LGM Member
  • No Joy, No Strength *II Timothy 4*

I Have A Serious Vocal Problem
« on: December 20, 2005, 02:08:26 AM »
I always thought that the more you use your voice, the stronger it becomes. Well that doesnt seem to be true with me. I have been singing in my college choir for about 3 years now and it seems like the more I sing the worst my voice gets. I went from singing 1st soprano notes fairly easily to barely able to sing 2nd soprano most times. For example my freshman year (2003) I sang Secret Place by Karen Clark-Sheard for our annual gospel concert, but know I don't even come close to singing it properly.My voice is alway messed up. It seems like the biggest problem is going from spritual and classical pieces to gospels. I dont know what is going on but I'm getting really discouraged to the point that I dont want to sing anymore period.

If you have any advice on how to fix it or at least some kind of explanation of what is going, please help me out. It might be better to send me a private message, but if not I'm cool with what ever you can do to help.

Be Abundantly Blessed
I won't take nothing for my journey now. No turnin' back, no turnin' back.

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

is it...
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 12:47:48 PM »
is it messed up as in you can't sing like you use to or as in you are hoarse all the time??
:)

Offline ReddGirl

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Keep on smiling!

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 09:06:08 PM »
Sounds like you are not using your diapharam properly. Make sure you are not singing too hard. Use the mike. It will amplify your voice.You do not need to sing too hard or loud. If you are singing from your throat then that will cause this problem. Also make sure you breathe and remain relaxed. If you are tense then that will strain your voice as well.

Offline thekeynote

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://www.lisamholden.com

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 06:26:56 AM »
My mom has been a singer for 40 years +.  She began as an opera singer back in the 1950's in high school.  She was so good she had a scholarship to sing opera at Julliard School of Music.  She declined it and married my dad at 17 y/o.  Nevertheless, all of her opera training carried over into her singing of jazz/pop etc.  She teaches voice lessons in her home.  Here are some of the things I've heard her say to students:

1.  Sing from your diaphram.  BUT, don't "hold" your breath.  Many times when she tells novice students to pull in their stomach muscles, you can see their chest puff up as it does when one takes a deep breath and holds it.  It's a constant "tummy pull" NOT a chest expansion and taking in air to save for notes you're getting ready to sing.

2.  Drink lots of water.  DON'T drink cold water---drink only room temperature or luke warm water.  Constantly doing this keeps mucous down and sinuses clearer.

3.  Use the microphone--sing into the cone of the mic and pull it back a little on your louder notes.

4.  OPEN YOUR MOUTH.  Forming your mouth correctly to sing the correct vowels and syllables keeps the air from backing up on your throat.  It's like it's trapped with no where to go if you don't open your mouth.

5.  Don't try to look cute--smiling and singing.  If you have to get ugly, do it--just get your mouth open.

Now, my mom can sing with a cold, a fever, etc.  Singing is as easy as talking to her.  In churches I've played in or choir singers I've talked to say things like "I can't sing more than 3 or 4 songs" or "We're not singing much this morning because we have to sing this afternoon at another program---we're saving our voices."  My mom would say, "Saving it for what" :?:  :!:   She can do a gig and sing 40 songs during the gig like it was nothing.  Proper training and breath control.  

Find a vocal coach in your area who teaches things like this and you can learn to sing all day and all night.

Stay encouraged.
Lisa
www.lisamholden.com
If "seeing is believing", try believing without seeing!

Offline Vangelist

• LGM Member
  • No Joy, No Strength *II Timothy 4*

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2005, 10:41:34 PM »
Thanks everyone for your comments. To answer you question 4hisglory, I mean as in I cant sing like I used to. I really dont know what the problem is. I sing in a college choir where if you sing from you throat, you WILL be reprimanded. We go over proper breathing and use of diaphram all the time. Especially, when we switch from opera type songs to gospelsl. For some reason I'm still having a real problem.

I guess all I can say is you guys pray for me please because our annual gospel concert is coming up on Jan. 20th and my voice needs to be acting right by then.
I won't take nothing for my journey now. No turnin' back, no turnin' back.
Pages: [1]   Go Up