LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I need yal opinion!!! ASAP  (Read 1275 times)

Offline young_drumz

• LGM Member
  • Blessed and Highly Favored in GOD!!

I need yal opinion!!! ASAP
« on: December 28, 2005, 11:54:08 AM »
What do yal think of drummers that play in the gospel industry and then switch to the secular world? I ask because that seems to be a big debate where im from, they say nothing is wrong, but i wouldnt know, i just play because God bless me with the gift, and i use i accordingly....but what do yal think???[/b]

Offline BeatKeyz

• LGM Member

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 01:07:38 PM »
I think that they do it just for more money, if it was me that would be my reason.

Offline whatpocket

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 12:25:01 PM »
my opinion its just a job. And job is secular rather it be at Mc D's or playing for Usher. But when you play for God its different. I would rather Play for Jill or Floetry for money and the church for free just to praise and boost the ministry. But everyone have there own view of it. I mean if playing for a secular artist is going to compromise your christianity than dont do it. I feel that is a personal conviction. You can be an example by not doing all the extra stuff after the gig. You dont have to be apart of the other eviroments. Play your gig get paid go home. Just like at a 9-5 afterwards some co-workers go get a drink or club on the weekend you dont have to be apart of that clock in and clock out and go home. Love songs are not a sin. Personaly for any artist via secular or gospel I evaluate the content of the lyrics. Even some Gospel music is not edifying Christ. does that make it secular?

Offline scoop

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 10:00:22 PM »
Yo whassup LGM:

Hey Whatpocket, I appreciate your viewpoint about the secular gig thing. I definitely agree that anything that compromises our salvation is wrong... That's a given for any child of God.

However, I wouldn't quite compare gigs to MC D's or your typical 9-5. Only because pushing papers doesn't have as profound a spiritual effect as music. It's more realistic to backlslide after a few Usher concerts than from flippping burgers, or am I wrong?  :wink:  :wink:  :wink:

I'd say that the primary element of any corporate -like setting is the position you fill. For ex. if I'm @ a law firm, my primary function is w/ law; if I'm @ a utility plant, I'm dealing w/ that first. All the other stuff (drama w/ co-workers, invitations to coctail parties after work etc. ) is extra, secondary. We have a choice in these cases. However, if I'm playing for a secular artist, my primary goal is to know the music. But along with that comes the spiritual side (music is not JUST music, right  :?:  :?:  :?: )

I agree that not ALL love songs are sin. Unfortunately the world has a loose interpretation of what qualifies as a "love" song. A lot of these songs are explicitly sexual, degrading, and spiritually contrary to God.... The music industry pushes these LUST SONGS and call them love songs.

I'd say that we as musicians (and especially drummers) should take our gifts to the Lord and REALLY seek His face. From my own experiece I notice that the people who are most liberal about this subject are the ones who show the least evidence of spiritual maturity. That's like a three year old telling me that smoking weed every once in a while isn't bad.  :)  

Sorry for the essay, but I have more... later though :wink:  :wink:  :D  :D  :D

God Bless... Happy New Year!!!

Offline beantownborn

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006, 10:44:13 PM »
Personally, I think it's about where you're called.  God may call you to play for a secular artist in order to minster to that artist directly, band members, entourage, etc.  You may be the instrument God has called to lead that artist to salvation.  Thus, our lives must be living testimonies.  You never know who may be influenced by our daily walk.  You could cause someone to seek Christ because they see you praying before each performance.  God works in mysterious ways.  If He can call Isaiah to preach naked and Jeremiah to lie on side for 3 years as a part of His calling, then God can use drummers in the secular world in order to save souls and take territory.  

But it's all about the call and the leading of the Holy Spirit. Let's not limit God and be prepared to utilize His gift given to us in any arena, genre, etc. It's God's gift, we must manage it, multiply it, and be discerning when we are called to use it.

Offline drummercat777

• LGM Member
    • www.myspace.com/bdrums777

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 04:37:27 PM »
i agree. i play both in church and in secular music. i belive that i am called to be a secular drummer with a christian lifestyle. i mean, look at teddy campbell and aaron spears. both are christians and both still maintain that when they are playing secular music. i believe that by going out and playing that music, you are able to touch more people that normally wouln't be in a church service. i mean, how awesome would it be to be playing somewhere and then just bless someone with some gear. that in itself is a ministry... :)
Psalm 150:5
why I do what i do.....

www.myspace.com/bdrums777

Offline freddyfusion

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 12:01:22 PM »
i also believe it has to do with the content and the personal artist not all of it/them are your nelly or rolling stones, some of it is just good "wholesome" music.
but above all we all must pray and get CLEAR direction and leading from God for Each situation- and that goes for playing for christians as well- just because it is the "good" thing doesn't make it the God thing.
herller :wink:  :)
LIVE FROM HEAVEN- Eph. 2:6
play where you wanna be

Offline mrwhite

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 03:09:52 PM »
Hey y'all, maybe I was wrong for listening to this, but I'll accept my rebuking and move on....BUT I was listening to snippets from Kanye West's new album.  On track #17 he says something like "Aaron loved the raw dog, when will he learn?  Caught something on the Usher tour he had to let it burn."  Now whether or not that's true......I wouldn't want my name to be put out there like that.  I wouldn't want my good to be evil spoken of...because a good name is better than rubies, RIGHT?  Why would Kanye mention something like that on his album?!?!?  To me, the world doesn't care about a person being a christian (or claiming to be) ESPECIALLY if you're in their territory.  I'm not taking one side or the other (But I AM on God's side all the way), I'm just agreeing with all of you who say that seeking God #1 is very important, when it comes to this topic.  God bless.

Offline scoop

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 04:50:57 PM »
i also believe it has to do with the content and the personal artist not all of it/them are your nelly or rolling stones, some of it is just good "wholesome" music.

I hear you man. But I've heard some things over the last year that made me very mindful of the music I listen to. I don't mean to just trash everyone's music but enlightenment is enlightenment. stuff like inspirational songs, which seem at first to be "wholesome" at first are mostly about believe-in-yourself type stuff. My bible said that there's no good thing that dwells in the flesh. The last thing I need when I'm going through is some song saying I I Me Me stuff...where's God.

Also, somebody said that God might be calling Christian musicians to play in secular arenas. Well I believe that God can do All thigs, yet the Word says GOD tempteth no man. God would have to tell me, then confirm it for me to take that route. Whatever the case, let God lead. Don't try to lead Him.

Question. Would God likely call a Christian to be a bouncer at a strip club?
Pages: [1]   Go Up