LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about Theory  (Read 16604 times)

Offline emusiq

• LGM Member
    • http://

Question about Theory
« on: February 13, 2004, 02:59:03 PM »
I know and everyone knows theory is very important for musicians and there is no way around learning it.  The best way to learn something is find out why you're doing what you're doing, then you can reassure or check your self and teach others.  Therefore it make sense to learn theory.  I've been thirsty for knowlegde for a while.  At first I just wanted to learn cool songs from the posts.  But just because I could play a new song didn't make me fell like a better musician. So I learned the number system and how to read chords and learned other theory that has been posted on various web sites.  I also learned some substitution like the Parker Cycle, different voicings like tritones, the diatomic scale and other scales.  Some of this stuff I've known for the past 4 years (I've been playing for 9 years).  Okay, so you're saying whats your point?  When I look at the Videos from Sam Tolbert and Hammondman and all of the other tight musicians from this and other web sites I get my keyboard out and start play my scales and tritones and circle of fifths and fourths and any other theory I know, I seem to have trouble sounding like these amazing musicans I see on the net.  My wife encourages me and says It's a matter of time and probably after more years of practice I'll be making cool video clips for others to see.  Part of me believes that there is still some piece of theory that will bridge the theory I know to the theory that will make my music much better than it is now.  Don't get me wrong, I don't want to be "EMUSIQ the GREAT" or anything, as a matter of fact I'm on my way to Medical School.  I just want to be a better musician, something that the churches I play for can be happy with.  So is my wife right in I'm not patient enough or I need to ask a musician to teach me more or just keep reading chords till it clicks?

Question about Theory
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2004, 06:10:10 PM »
When I look at the Videos from Sam Tolbert and Hammondman and all of the other tight musicians from this and other web sites I get my keyboard out and start play my scales and tritones and circle of fifths and fourths and any other theory I know, I seem to have trouble sounding like these amazing musicans I see on the net.

THAT'S YOUR PROBLEM EMUSIQ, YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT THAT  YOU WILL NOT SOUND LIKE EITHER MYSELF OR SAM TOLBERT, YOU'LL SOUND JUST LIKE "EMUSIQ!" YOU CAN LEARN OUR CHORDS OR PROGRESSIONS, BUT YOU'LL STILL BE YOU. YOU WILL HAVE YOUR OWN UNIQUE STYLE, PLAYING FOR 9 YRS. YOU'RE PROBABLE PRETTY GOOD NOW!

THEORY WILL JUST LET YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING AND OPEN UP MORE OPTIONS TO WHAT YOU CAN DO! :wink:  LET'S TAKE ALGIRES,(HAMMONDMAN_69), AND 11TIM215, (WILL INGRAM)...THEY BOTH LEARNED FROM ME, I PRETTY MUCH TAUGHT THEM THE THEORY END OF THINGS, IF YOU LISTEN TO THEM, THEY HAVE USE THE CHORDING I USE...BUT EACH ONE IS A DIFFERENT MUSICIAN, NEITHER OF THEM PLAY LIKE ME, BUT YOU CAN "HEAR" ME IN THEIR CHORDING AND APPROACHES. ONE DAY, SOMEBODY WILL PATTERN THEMSELVES AFTER YOU...THEY WOMT BE YOU..BUT "YOU" WILL BE IN THEM, CATCH MY DRIFT? :wink:

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Question about Theory
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2004, 07:02:26 PM »
I'm still learning how to use this myself, but I've found that the key to doing the current contemporary sound is knowing how to use 6/9 chords.

Here's a link to it: http://www.learngospelmusic.com/ftopict-177-.html

Basically, a 6/9 chord at one time sounds like a sus2, at another like a 6/9, and at the end a 13. It just depends on how you invert it and shift the keys around. I'm not totally proficient at using it yet, but I learn new ways to use this chord every week.

If you can record yourself playing some of the simple songs like "Praise the Lord Everbody/I'm a soldier", or some song that you have to play all the time, and post a link to it--no midi. mp3 is clearer--I can try to analyze it, as I sure other people will, and give you a bit extra.

After all is said and done, asking is people is good, but I've learned the majority of what I know now from God. I told 'em that I wanted to play a certain way, and He's made sure that I get bits of it as long as I keep playing in church. Try something spiritually that you've never done before, something that you've been holding back, and I'll guarantee you that the instant you do it, you'll learn something new.

Offline emusiq

• LGM Member

Question about Theory
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2004, 12:09:22 PM »
Thanks Hammondman and B3!  I know I will always be me, but sometimes the chords and progressions I use don't sound as colorful or creative as I would like them to sound, especially after 9 years of playing.  I thought that after learning all the theory I now know, I would go to church and just jazz up my congregational and praise songs with combinations of theory.  I knew I wouldn't be exactly like others but I thought it would make a more dramatic change in my usual chords and progressions.  But if the theory is basically telling me what I am doing then I'm incorrect in thinking theory will teach me colorful music.  I'm not saying theory is not important, I'm just asking should I learn new music and then use theory to tell me what's going on?

Thanks B3 for the link.  I'm going straight home to play around with the 6/9 chord.  I don't have a computer at home so I don't know if I can make a midi or mp3 right now but if it's okay I'll post a congregational song I posted on Gospel Melodies board not to long ago.

As for playing something spirtually that I've never done before, I shy away from playing in the Keys of D and A.  I know some chords in those keys but not like the other keys.  Does that qualify?

Offline emusiq

• LGM Member

Question about Theory
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2004, 06:22:52 PM »
Here's that example from Gospel Melodies Board that I Posted.  I just copied and pasted from that Board.

Jesus get'n us ready (Ab)
(LH)---(RH)

B,C,Eb,F,Ab --- B,C,Eb,F,Ab (single notes)
Ab F# --- C Eb F Ab
C F# ---C Eb F Ab
Ab C# F --- C Eb F Ab
D F --- B D F Ab
Eb Ab --- Bb C# F Ab
gospel bounce
Ab F --- B D F Ab
Ab F# --- C Eb F Ab
Ab F --- B D F Ab
Ab F# --- C Eb F Ab
Ab F --- B D F Ab
Ab F# --- C Eb F Ab
Ab F --- B D F Ab
Ab F# --- Eb F# Ab B (great)
Ab F --- B Eb F Ab (day)
A D ---F# C E Ab
C# --- B Eb F Ab(HOLD)
F,F# ---
G --- C E F# B
Ab ---B Eb F Ab(hold) OR with rt hand (B Eb F#)
Bb --- (Ab C# F)
B --- (F# B Eb)
C --- (F Bb C#)
C# ---
D --- B D F Ab
Eb Eb --- Ab C# F Ab
C --- C Eb Ab
C# --- C# F Bb
D --- D G B
Eb --- Eb Ab C
---F F (octaves)
---E E
---Eb Eb
C# G C --- E E (alternate the E's fast)
--- Bb,B,Bb,Ab,F,Eb
Ab --- C Eb F# Ab
this has to be very fast single notes
---D, Eb, B (the B is with the pinky,and D with the thumb)
--- Eb, D
--- C# Bb (together)
--- B, C, Ab
Here is something like preacher chords, the right hand is very fast
F# C F ---F, B (walk it down fast!)
---E, Bb
---Eb, A
---D, Ab
---C#, G
---C , F#
F B Eb ---B, F
Eb A Eb --- D, Eb Ab (Eb and Ab together)
--- C, C# E, Ab F
D Ab Eb --- Ab
C F# --- F# Ab B Eb Ab

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Question about Theory
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2004, 07:27:14 PM »
I was moreso talking about actually doing something not related to playing, but that could possibly qualify.
Pages: [1]   Go Up