LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Needs Some Understanding  (Read 787 times)

Offline BIGHENRY

• LGM Member

Needs Some Understanding
« on: March 10, 2006, 09:28:20 AM »
What can help me determine what notes to play after knowing that i'm in a certain key and that it's a major or minor........for example if i'm in " D " and i know that it a major chord.Do i play it EXACTLLY like the scale pattern is......... or are there rules that help determine what notes to hit in that scales and what notes not to hit.B/c just looking and trying study some of the theory seems to be kind of  complicated. Espeacially when you in front  of a group and you never heard the song before ,but can kind  of fill the rythm.Then the problem come in when you try and put it together on the bass.Come someone please help me?

Offline djgroovin

• LGM Member

Re: Needs Some Understanding
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 10:15:01 AM »
If you know the key then the note choice in the scale is really up to you.  Roots and 5ths are almost always a safe bet.  You can pretty much play any note in the scale.  You will just have to use your ear to hear what sounds good.  Try to focus your ideas around the chord tones (arpeggios).  Not to necessarily play them exclusively but start your riff or run on a chord tone to move through the scale.

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 10:22:38 AM »
This is when ear training & theory get married.

The Triad... Root, 3rd, 5th and the Octave can be used in lots of cases...

The DMaj7 will add a 7th to fill out the sound, a bit.

A good place to practice is playing Major and Minor Triads... to learn the sound they make, then start throwing in the 7th, or flattening, the 3rd
Once you begin to hear the different sounds the different patterns make, you will begin to hear them in songs.  And now how to move around.

Offline BIGHENRY

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 11:05:44 AM »
Torch if you don't mind ......post me a good example.So i can make sure i'm on the right track

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 12:02:37 PM »
Keep in mind... I am just finding my way through myself ;)

Okay in an Earlier Example about how to play arpeggios... I mentioned the CMajor Triad, or 3 Notes from the CMajor Chord are

C - Root
E - Third of the C Major Scale
G - The Fifth of the C Major Scale...

So if the song is progressing in CMaj...

C - E - G are safe notes to hit...  throwing a B in the mix would make that Major Chord CMaj7, and give it a different feel (C - E - G - B... these notes don't necessarily have to be played in that order either.)

Offline NewBass

• LGM Member
    • Word Of His Power Ministries

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 08:35:01 PM »
Would any of you more seasoned bassists be interested in posting a "sticky" weekly lesson for us "newbies"? This way, we could have a "structure" assignment for the week, and help us to progress in a logical, more productive fashion...
<>< Psalm 119:144 <><

Offline Saintlewis

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2006, 09:05:40 PM »
I started playing bass guitar late come paired to most.  I took lessons for my first 4 months.  I find that with anything if you can read it.  You can achieve it.  Learning to read music helps me out a lot. Start with a HAL Lenard book on bass playing vol. 1.  This is a great place for new bass players to start.  I can read tab also.  Playing by ear I’m still working on it.  The more you play with others the better you will grow in your gift.
Here a good practice.  First thing I did was memorize my open strings:

God---------------------G string
Demands---------------D string
Absolute---------------A string
Excellence-------------E string
Baby--------------------B if you have a five string   

God Bless  Saintlewis         

Offline uriahsmusic

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://WWW.URIAHSMUSIC.COM

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2006, 12:37:56 PM »

Offline Willie L. Terry Jr

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2006, 07:12:15 PM »
Newbass,

I don't know about seasoned but I'm entering my fifth year next month.  I do have some tools to shed and I love teaching.  I will be in the states under instruction myself but when I get back I will look at helping out.

TJ
Psalms 144:1  Blessed be the Lord my rock who teaches my hands to war and my FINGAZ to fight!
Pages: [1]   Go Up