LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: You do you think is over rated and under rated?  (Read 2731 times)

Offline lilben

• LGM Member

You do you think is over rated and under rated?
« on: January 05, 2006, 07:31:07 AM »
Which drummers do you think are over rated and under rated on this site? Yall be real and name every drummer that you think is over rated and under rated.

Calvin Napper- Under Rated (dont hear to many drummers talking about him).

Joey Oscar- Under Rated (not talked about to much on here).

Calvin Rodgers- Over Rated ( I know yall probably gone cut my head for this one but, I hear some of his same licks on most of the songs he play on. Joey Oscar just as good but yall dont talk about him as much as yall do Calvin Rodgers. I am not saying he is a good drummer because he is I just think he is over rated. I have nothing against Calvin so please dont take this and run with it talkin about I dont like Calvin Rodgers).

Jeremy Haynes- Under Rated (Talked about but also people limit him when they talk about him).

Thats yall list and my opinions so yall add to it. 1 Luv!!! Out!!!
Artistik Muzik

Offline fenderjazz

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 08:14:30 AM »
I think Leonard "Pudge" Tribbett is waaaay underrated. He is equally talented as Spanky but people usually just mention Spanky. When Tye was in Indianapolis he just had Pudge on kit and I can definitely say that Pudge is the truth. I wonder why people don't hype him up like they do with Spanky.

Mud

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 09:25:25 AM »
Not intentionally trying to incite a riot, but I think Spanky is over-rated. I'm not frontin' on his talent, but he's talked about so often, you'd think he was the Drum Messiah.

I feel the same about Aaron Spears, and the long list of R & B/Gospel drummers who are talked about every second, but sound almost exactly alike. I give Spanky credit for not sounding like everyone else, tho'.

Right now, I'm not sure of whose under-rated. I think Eric Tribbett is tight, but he's not as flashy as Spanky - so he's not esteemed as highly. Chris Daddy Dave is talked about a lot on this board, but most people haven't heard Chris Dave REALLY play. I think a lot of Caucasian drummers don't get the props they deserve for obvious reasons. Jo Jo Mayer is a beast. While they may not play the same genre ... their is a lot that can be learned from some of these guys.

Just my ten cents...

Next.

Offline Uziono

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 10:12:22 AM »
I am not going to mention any names but I think anyone with a God given talent deserves MY respect. We have lots of skilled drummers in the drumming world some who are popular some who are not but I am sure i we listen to them we will take something away.

Offline sugabear

• LGM Member
  • Wolfgang, if you don't know...find out! Seriously!

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 10:59:20 AM »
I'll stay away from the overrated side of this topic. We have a lot of sensitive people on this forum... nuff' said.

One of the biggest underrated drummers in my opinion is Dana Davis. Dude is like one of the pioneers in gospel drumming. He has maaaddd pocket and longevity in this fly-by-night industry. I'm still baffled by some of the things he was doing on the Winans' live concert (late 80's early 90's).

Another underrated drummer is Deitrick Haddon's brother. I think his name is Davey Haddon or something like that. He's really good on the set. Please check him out on Men of Standard's third album.

Terry Baker. Another underrated drummer that his absolutely demolishing the gospel arena practically unnoticed. This man gets all the major gigs.

Not to stray away from the gospel industry, but I have to say that my man Will Kennedy is underrated, slept on, ignored practically. I've popped the Yellowjackets' Greenhouse cd in my cd player one time and it hasn't left the player yet. This dude is soooooooo musical. A lot of people need to wake up and take notice of his skills.

Of course there are so many more, but I'll just stop here for now.[/u]
My goal as a musician is to be better than myself.
check out my site www.tampogo.com/alsmith!!!

Mud

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 11:02:40 AM »
Quote from: sugabear
I'll stay away from the overrated side of this topic. We have a lot of sensitive people on this forum... nuff' said.

One of the biggest underrated drummers in my opinion is Dana Davis. Dude is like one of the pioneers in gospel drumming. He has maaaddd pocket and longevity in this fly-by-night industry. I'm still baffled by some of the things he was doing on the Winans' live concert (late 80's early 90's).

Another underrated drummer is Deitrick Haddon's brother. I think his name is Davey Haddon or something like that. He's really good on the set. Please check him out on Men of Standard's third album.

Terry Baker. Another underrated drummer that his absolutely demolishing the gospel arena practically unnoticed. This man gets all the major gigs.

Not to stray away from the gospel industry, but I have to say that my man Will Kennedy is underrated, slept on, ignored practically. I've popped the Yellowjackets' Greenhouse cd in my cd player one time and it hasn't left the player yet. This dude is soooooooo musical. A lot of people need to wake up and take notice of his skills.

Of course there are so many more, but I'll just stop here for now.[/u]

Don't stay away from the over-rated side of the topic! I don't know why people would get sensitive .....

....we're not talking about anyone's momma, or wife, you know?  

So, go ahead ... stir up some controversy!

Offline sugabear

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 11:41:39 AM »
Well, okay. Since divinstruoso made the request...

I know I'm going to hang myself with this one and I'll be called everything but a child of God for this pick, but... :oops:

In my opinion, Marvin McQuitty is overrated. I've never heard anything outside of the Fred Hammond sound from him. I've heard him play for other artist, but his sound is kind of mediocre to me :cry: . I know I'm stepping on a lot of toes right now, but must Jesus bear the cross alone and all the world go free... :) .

Offline JrDADrumma

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 02:48:29 PM »
I think Terry Baker is underrated, and hate to say it, but Calvin Rodgers is a bit overrated. Please don't hurt me! :lol:
Just play music...

Offline LittleDrummerBoyy

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2006, 03:48:00 PM »
I don't think calvin rodgers is over rated i think he's one of the best

drummers out there but y'all just hear him on gospel music and doing well

eveytime u pickup a cd he's on there playing, But have yall hear him play

other music also (r&b,Hiphop,latin,raggae,jazz,rock, etc) he's a versitale

drummer and good at all music if you ever seen C.Rodgers put on a show

u no what I'am talking about. its a different then playing the music live

and putting on a show, calvin play his music like reading a book , theres a

begining , middle, and end, he puts licks where they belong not just doing

licks because i want to let people no i have some nice licks

thats why i say he's a great drummer

Offline ezekg21

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My Myspace

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2006, 03:50:58 PM »
yeah, Im goin out on a limb on this site too, because I know Spanky and Aarron are drooled over on this site. But they definatley made my overrated list. not too much Aaron sumtimes because his licks are unmatched in it brings tears to my eyes. I seen Spanky play like 3 weeks ago and he is very talented but not as sick as some of these guys that
are here's my underrated list.

Eric Greene- Jill Scott
Jeremy Hayes
Paul John Jr. - Alicia Keys
Thomas Pridgen
Thomas Lang
& those other sick white drummers out there.

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2006, 03:53:47 PM »
Quote from: sugabear
Well, okay. Since divinstruoso made the request...

I know I'm going to hang myself with this one and I'll be called everything but a child of God for this pick, but... :oops:

In my opinion, Marvin McQuitty is overrated. I've never heard anything outside of the Fred Hammond sound from him. I've heard him play for other artist, but his sound is kind of mediocre to me :cry: . I know I'm stepping on a lot of toes right now, but must Jesus bear the cross alone and all the world go free... :) .

Hahahaha What GUY!!!!! Shame on you!!! Marvins the truth!!!!
I think any drummer over talked and over studied by all will become over rated. Like Spank`s all triplets....To figure him out listen to his licks and think triplet yull get his licks.

I think Sput Sighright (sp) is very under rated!
Big Mike Clemons is very under rated.
Doobie is under rated
I like Calvin hes clean but over used!
Terry Baker should be talked about more, he can play without all the dumb tricks.
Myron Bell is under rated and never talked about.
Stokley from mint condition is da bomb but never talked about! Most drum tracks from Mint is him playing drums not Chris Dave.
Sheryl Harper is way over rated.
Larnell Lewis from Canada is awesome but not known on the world stage, watch out for him.
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!

JFunky

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2006, 04:11:07 PM »
Hey Sugarbear, Marvin is the truth man. :lol:   If you think about it, it's the simple things that get you paid and get you the job.  All of that flashy stuff is really not necessary.(Ask ?uestlove)  I know what you're talking about though, don't get me wrong. :wink:   He has a nice feel and brings taste to a song along with discipline.  That's why Terry Baker and Marvin McQuitty get called for recordings more than anything.  Before Fred, he did 25 yrs. of service to his church.

Under Rated - Chris Kee, Christopher Coleman (Yes it's true), Nathaniel Townsley (Mr. Tasteful).

Here's one that a lot of people do not even talk about anymore but in my eyes is a complete beast................ Teddy Campbell........ 8)

Offline Da1witdastix

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2006, 04:53:39 PM »
Mike Lester and Nolan ? is under-rate..............................who??.....see all don't even kno who they are.....there are more nasty kats we should acknoledge... i kno spank, aspears is NASTY but it get tired tlkin bout them everyday...i here tlk bout mr. daddy (lol)dave but i haven't even heard him play for real otha den that 1 clip that was on here...we should put things bout local kats...i kno there ppl out there that are tight like the drummers we tlk bout on herre...
I don\'t need a month I make history er\'yday

Offline sugabear

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2006, 05:17:16 PM »
I feel you JFunky. When I say that Marvin is overrated I'm not talking about his chops or licks at all. Yes, we all know that Marvin lays some serious pocket, but there's a missing element to his playing in my opinion. I can listen to ?uestlove lay a pocket and I'm seriously vibing with it. When it comes to Marvin I just can't feel that same vibe :( . Nonetheless, I'm not saying Marvin is a bad player. He's actually good. He's just overrated to me. Whomever mentioned Nathaniel Townsley is right on the money. I also agree with the person that put Sput on their list. He's tight too. What about cats like Gorden Campbell, Eric Seats, and Rexsell Hardy? Those are some serious sleepers right there.

JFunky

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2006, 05:23:16 PM »
I saw Rex Hardy last night on the Tyra Banks show with Mary J. Blige.  He was doing his thing.  I was going to post something about it but I forgot that it isn't allowed anymore.  Anyway, you can catch a lot of those guys on "The Tonight Show with J. Leno".

Offline Krazy_afro_man

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2006, 05:27:46 PM »
My List
Underrated:

Jeremy Haynes
Joey Oscar
Calvin Napper
Robert Seawright (a huge one!!) Tonex's cd
Doobie Powell
Nisan Stewart

As for calvin rodgers, i dont think he is overrated, ill put up some clips that shows originality and creativity.

Offline Natejam71

• LGM Member
  • Anointed Gospel Musician
    • Anointed Gospel Musician (AGM)

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2006, 05:31:12 PM »
Under-rated hhhnnnnnnn can we say Eddie Heyward

Offline Natejam71

• LGM Member
  • Anointed Gospel Musician
    • Anointed Gospel Musician (AGM)

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2006, 05:36:24 PM »
I have a few more underated drummers:
Mike Moore
Mike Reid
Royal Higgins
all of Doobie Powell's brothers
Ray Bady
Damiyon Hall
Gary Mayes
Richard Alexander
Just to name a few more.  I have a few more but I will see what yall will come up with.  Stay Blessed, Nate J.

Offline lilben

• LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2006, 06:11:17 PM »
I think Spanky is over rated also because sometimes he does too much in songs which is not neccessary. Sorry yall!!!
Artistik Muzik

Offline bmoredrummerguy

• LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2006, 07:25:18 PM »
underated drummers sput, paul john, jarrod barnes, eric booty greene and i think hes a much better player than spanky theory wise and chops wise , brian frasier i dont hear people talking about him no more.

overrated drummers i dont really wanna get in to that one u guys have said enough
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up