LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any favorite gospel sax players?  (Read 14716 times)

Offline ifiwereu

• LGM Member

Re: Any favorite gospel sax players?
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2006, 08:02:19 AM »
I saw Joshua Redman live in concert very recently. He remains true to his jazz tradition. Earlier on this week I heard somebody play a cut from him called "How come you don't call me any more". It's actually a song from back in the day penned by Prince, sung by Natalie Cole and Alicia Keys. It totally blew my mind especially at end some phrases that make u wonder. Redman's tone doesn't have much edge to it but he can blow. Most cats who are really good on the sax started out when they were very young.

But stilll the king of tenor sax today is Michael Brecker who spits out remants of John Coltrane. Brecker is trying to recover from a rare disease so his playing is recuperating.

Play for Jesus!

Offline visionmike

• LGM Member

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2006, 10:55:58 PM »
I'm a gospel saxophonist. There are many sounds I like to incorporate in my playing, these saxophonist have inspired me the most from the beginning to now: Dr. V. Johnson,Grover Washington, Najee, Kirk Whalum, Candi Dulfer(sometimes I like to get Maceo-style funky with it)-this girl is sick, she has done some things with Prince. The biggest influence however is the Holy Spirit!  God1st4Life
In everything you do, ALWAYS put God 1st!

Offline keynote

• LGM Member
  • Ps 16:1

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2006, 01:25:48 AM »
Gospel saxophonists... hmmm...

I went to see Dr. Vernard Johnson live like 10 years ago (I was goin' to the 5th grade)... it was that concert that made me decide to play sax "so I could be just like Vernard Johson".... since then I hadn't really heard much of his stuff until my mom went to the C.O.G.I.C natonal convention in Memphis a couple years ago and got his two albums... I popped them in, and I must say... I could hardly stand to listen through the entire album!! I said to myself.... "What was I thinking ?!?!?!... You mean, THAT inspired me to play sax?!?!?!..." Now... don't get me wrong, Dr. Johnson is an awesome man of God with a great ministry and an amazing annointing, and I totally respect that. However, as far as playing goes, I find his tone thin and annoying, and his musicality lacking.

For me, I can listen to Donald Hayes all day!! I love the smoothness of his tone and style of playing - he stays in the  pocket... Great is Thy Faithfulness on the Quiet Times CD... simply amazing.

I also like Kirk Whalum and Mike Phillips... all of those cats are great. You can't leave out Charlie Parker and Cannonball Adderly for technicality and Paul Desmond for just sheer beautiful tone either.
Take care and be blessed!  Ps 16

Offline Jbroad572

• LGM Member
    • http://www.myspace.com/b5productions

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2006, 01:29:18 AM »
I popped them in, and I must say... I could hardly stand to listen through the entire album!! I said to myself.... "What was I thinking ?!?!?!... You mean, THAT inspired me to play sax?!?!?!..." Now... don't get me wrong, Dr. Johnson is an awesome man of God with a great ministry and an amazing annointing, and I totally respect that. However, as far as playing goes, I find his tone thin and annoying, and his musicality lacking.

Brotha,
I thought I was the only one...  I have heard about him and listened to a few clips and he didn't do anything for me at all.

Does Donald Hayed have anything else besides the "Quiet Times". I've heard him on "We Fall Down", but thats about it.

Offline ifiwereu

• LGM Member

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2006, 04:10:28 PM »
Has anyone heard Gerald Albright's version of "We fall down"?...oh so sweet.

Offline jremon

• LGM Member

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2006, 06:32:48 PM »
Check out Donald Hayes' Reflections CD. It is GREAT!!!!!!

Offline redtenorsax

• LGM Member

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2006, 06:00:30 PM »
Well He's not necissarily gospel, but he's one of the most poignant players around.  His name is Lenny Pickett.  He played tenor for the TV show Saturday Night Live.  This kat performed with all the top Rythm &Blues bands, and has composed some interesting classically inspired suites and ettudes just for sax chiors (with some wierd outlandish saxophones..outside of ur soprano to bari range).  He's performed w/ Tower of Power and Ray Charles.  But that Saturday Night Live closing song... the" Waltz in A minor":  Is a killer he hits every change, and then goes super altississississimo! on you.  Its serious.  His tone is phat too.

Offline Jbroad572

• LGM Member

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2006, 06:05:41 PM »
Well He's not necissarily gospel, but he's one of the most poignant players around.  His name is Lenny Pickett.  He played tenor for the TV show Saturday Night Live.  This kat performed with all the top Rythm &Blues bands, and has composed some interesting classically inspired suites and ettudes just for sax chiors (with some wierd outlandish saxophones..outside of ur soprano to bari range).  He's performed w/ Tower of Power and Ray Charles.  But that Saturday Night Live closing song... the" Waltz in A minor":  Is a killer he hits every change, and then goes super altississississimo! on you.  Its serious.  His tone is phat too.
Just downloaded the theme, I've heard it before but forgot how it went, but always remembered there was a bad sax player. He definitely knows how to wail!!!
Love it.

Offline Jbroad572

• LGM Member

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2006, 06:06:08 PM »
And how he gets so high....  :o
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up