LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: technique ?  (Read 565 times)

Offline thedrummerschoice

• LGM Member

technique ?
« on: January 12, 2006, 07:46:39 PM »
i was in the garage bored oen day so i locked my self in there i didnt even feel like playin drums so i just took all my heads off to see if i could make the drums sound any good and i noticed this and its kinda a ?  i noticed that at home and church my bass is really really really really loose but then i read on here a long time ago that people tune um tight... but i tune my loose cuz my felt on my dw started getting squished in

is it ok to tune ur bass low cuz i dont like when my beater bounces but then that brings me to my next ? isnt it bad if you rest ur beater on the head like when you hit the bass isnt it suppose to come off the bass drum?? is this bad posture or somethin?? i just find it that when i try to make it not touch the bass i feel really off balance i just wanna know if thats like a technique no no cuz my resolution this yr is to be super technical and learn as much as possible god bless and thanks for whoever

responds thax

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

Re: technique ?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 08:58:24 PM »
Quote from: thedrummerschoice
i was in the garage bored oen day so i locked my self in there i didnt even feel like playin drums so i just took all my heads off to see if i could make the drums sound any good and i noticed this and its kinda a ?  i noticed that at home and church my bass is really really really really loose but then i read on here a long time ago that people tune um tight... but i tune my loose cuz my felt on my dw started getting squished in

There are a variety of ways tune th kick as well as the other drums. It depends on the sound you want, the technique you use, the room /venue you are playing. Tuning really low gives a slower audible sound response because those noes are traveling slower and are at lower frequencies. the beater response is a bit slower as well sometimes. the higher the tensioning/tuning he faster the beater resonds and the farther the notes sound travels.
Here is nothing wrong with tuning low. I do encourage you to experiment with different tuning.

is it ok to tune ur bass low cuz i dont like when my beater bounces but then that brings me to my next ? isnt it bad if you rest ur beater on the head like when you hit the bass isnt it suppose to come off the bass drum?? is this bad posture or somethin?? i just find it that when i try to make it not touch the bass i feel really off balance i just wanna know if thats like a technique no no cuz my resolution this yr is to be super technical and learn as much as possible god bless and thanks for whoever

responds thax

You should always strive for rebound. You should always tension for rebound even when desiring low tones. THis may cause you to change your head combinations or even the kind of drum kit you play because of the wood or bearing edges etc.

Gaining rebound from the kick pedal has a lot to do with seat height. Your seat heat height dictates the leverage that you have. As well you should always sit so that your body is balanced whether your feet are flat on the floor, heal down on the pedals or heal up on the pedals. Your optimal seat height will allow all of hese position without adjustment. You should be able to go from heal down to heal up to heal-toe without stress. This is why most folk (including myself) struggle with doubles and triplets on the kick.

This change  in sieat height may require (most times will require) you to raise the height of yuor drums. Doit. Most folk have there drums in a bad playing position in relation to how the body actually functions at its best.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker
Pages: [1]   Go Up