LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Calvin Rodgers  (Read 2346 times)

Pearldrummer1

Calvin Rodgers
« on: January 10, 2006, 04:21:14 PM »
Hey errbody, I commented on this subject earlier but I was just thinking. With all of the nice drummers out there trying to get their names out why do you think that Calvin doesnt really do that? I mean we all have to admit that this is truely a bad man, but I mean guys like Aaron Spears, and cats like that even have their own websites or are in magazines, but it's hard to even find a picture of Cal. you know what I mean? Now I dont want to start any rumors or anything like that but in your opinion, do you think that it's intentional or he just never thinks about it? Holla at me!

Offline MOEDRUMS

• LGM Member

Calvin Rodgers
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 04:26:56 PM »
UT UHHH................................... .......HERE WE GO AGAIN! LOL LOL  :wink:  :wink:  :wink:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline I_Pl_Pearl

• LGM Member
    • http://

Calvin Rodgers
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 09:30:22 PM »
wow here we go again is rite man 4 real people always talking about my brother calvin whats up with that

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

Calvin Rodgers
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 09:44:49 AM »
Quote from: I_Pl_Pearl
wow here we go again is rite man 4 real people always talking about my brother calvin whats up with that

People love the guy! Whats wrong with talking about him! I can admire his playing. The only down side are thoes only stuck in Calvin mode...
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!

Offline I_Pl_Pearl

• LGM Member

Calvin Rodgers
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 10:00:44 PM »
man how people admire Calvin man and people talk about him in a bad way that dead wrong 4 real whats up with that cuz tell me thats the deal on that come on i talk to him all the time and yall just down him like he aint nothin if people gonna talk about him get to no him first its not that hard 4 real thats my big brother i learn alot from him u yall can to if yall just lisen thats all dont talk if yall dont kno nothin people on here might suck and cant get no gigs like he got thats whats up

Offline BIGBILL

• LGM Member
  • make a joyful noise unto the LORD

Calvin Rodgers
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 11:33:39 PM »
man how people admire Calvin man and people talk about him in a bad way that dead wrong 4 real whats up with that cuz tell me thats the deal on that come on i talk to him all the time and yall just down him like he aint nothin if people gonna talk about him get to no him first its not that hard 4 real thats my big brother i learn alot from him u yall can to if yall just lisen thats all dont talk if yall dont kno nothin people on here might suck and cant get no gigs like he got thats whats up

Me personally! :)  I think Calvin Rogers is an excellent drummer who has a nice pocket and he is a mature Drummer who lays it down the way it should be. Ive had a chance of saying whats up to him a few times after hearing him play and he seems to be down to earth. I know alote of people may hate on him now because he doesnt do alote of those chops  on albums like he use to, but I think its because he doesnt have to do them to prove to us hes a great drummer. :D I think he plays the way a good drummer should play with less chop, but still sounds good! Bigups to Calvin Rogers and all the Chi-town drummers famous and unfamous Yeah!! :D

Offline I_Pl_Pearl

• LGM Member

Calvin Rodgers
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 12:18:55 AM »
8)  c thats whats up sumbody one here feel me Calvin has no time to do chops hes done with that i mean he might do it sumtimes like on different gigs but recording nope if u dont pay close attendtion to what hes playing hes goin to catch u off guard with a chop and ur gonna wonder all nite what in the world was that  8O he did in that song  8O and just gonna have to wait till the cd comes out to hear it but its cool yall people cool just people stop haten like sayin that ur gonna dress like calvin wow  :? now thats GAY if its not then i dont kno what is and then talk about what he had on the sweater joke wow :?:  i bet u any type of money that u cant aford that that sweater now thats whats up and to add to that i bet anybody on here wont say none of that B S to his face now what

Offline charbabe

• LGM Member

Calvin Rodgers
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 06:30:32 PM »
I am a personal friend of Calvin and just for the record Calvin is to busy to sit down and get a web site together, he is to busy to respond to the crazy things being said, he is busy working for God and working to support his family. But know that he is working on something that will make people talk. And yes my boy is fire and he will soon show that more than you will ever know. So lets continue to support him and stop talking bad about him. Cause he don't care trust me I spoke with him on the phone and he told me. Be Blessed

Offline sugabear

• LGM Member
  • Wolfgang, if you don't know...find out! Seriously!

Calvin Rodgers
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 08:44:45 PM »
That clip is still blazin' after a few years. I'm not a Calvin-hater. I have mad respect for the brother. I'm also not an absolute, holy grail, Calvin-lover. I love his playing ability though. I think a lot of people tend to overlook a big contributor to Calvin's sound. Not only is Calvin's skill a big factor in his playing, but his drums sound really good. His toms sing, his snare has character, and his cymbal selection is perfect. The thing I respect about Calvin, and many fail to mention this, is that Calvin has shown the ability to change styles flawlessly. I stated this before, but if you take the albums "Hallelujah" and "Worked It Out" by Ricky Dillard, "Not Guilty" by John Kee, and "The Heavens Are Telling" by Karen Clark-Sheard (these are just a few of very many) and listen to them back to back you'll hear four different drummers wrapped up in the one we call Calvin Rodgers. A lot of us would be pleased with finally finding our niche/sound and sticking with it, but this cat said, in the middle of his come up mind you, "I'm gon' change my A-game," and not just a little bit but drastically. That type of ability demands respect. Calvin's playing also shows how effective ghost notes can be. In my opinion, the majority of Calvin's fills are built off of ghost notes. Not only is that different in gospel drumming and drumming wholistically, it's a smart move on his part because fills built off of ghost notes are much more harder to figure out. This creative way of doing fills is argueably the very reason for so many aborted births of "Baby Calvins". Sorry for the synopsis. I just wanted to give him his props from a musician's standpoint and not a hyped fan  .

This is a post that I wrote in another thread this week. Man, I know that you know Calvin personally so you're going to take offense to anything that seems contrary. I can speak for myself and say that it's nothing but love. If I were to meet Calvin I would joke with him about the sweater and I think he would understand because it's all in good humor man. I'm not coming down on him, I was just joking. With the sweater joke I was not attacking his style or anything, I was just making an ironic joke because he was playing the drums, a very mobile activity, in a thick sweater. No love lost man. I'm just speaking in my defense because I'm the one who made the sweater comment. Have you ever got together with a friend and exchanged yo mama jokes- it's an act of endearment nothing more. If I offended anyone I apologize, and if I ever met Calvin and he took offense to it as well I would apologize to him too. Nonetheless, I don't think it would even be that serious to him.

Like I said, there's no love lost man. You still my Patna'. I just wanted to clarify my motives.
My goal as a musician is to be better than myself.
check out my site www.tampogo.com/alsmith!!!

Offline GDrummaFan

• LGM Member

Calvin Rodgers
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006, 09:01:42 PM »
8)  c thats whats up sumbody one here feel me Calvin has no time to do chops hes done with that i mean he might do it sumtimes like on different gigs but recording nope if u dont pay close attendtion to what hes playing hes goin to catch u off guard with a chop and ur gonna wonder all nite what in the world was that  8O he did in that song  8O and just gonna have to wait till the cd comes out to hear it but its cool yall people cool just people stop haten like sayin that ur gonna dress like calvin wow  :? now thats GAY if its not then i dont kno what is and then talk about what he had on the sweater joke wow :?:  i bet u any type of money that u cant aford that that sweater now thats whats up and to add to that i bet anybody on here wont say none of that B S to his face now what

Man..Calvin is my #1 Favorite drummer.. and I loves dat man so much (spiritualy) that i dont hate on him in wateva he do..dats da homie..and I wanna battle him one day..
Jay-Beezzy Doin Big Things 4 God!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up