LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bongos-Congos players  (Read 565 times)

Offline Da1witdastix

• LGM Member

Bongos-Congos players
« on: January 14, 2006, 09:41:55 PM »
My cuzzin play bongos at my church...he used soft quint mallets..he say he used it cuz u can't hear him with his stix..i seen this kat the play go-go..i really don't kno how he was playin it but it  loud...how are u suppose to hit a bongo to make it loud for real with out using a stix...

Happy Rogers week!!!
I don\'t need a month I make history er\'yday

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

Re: Bongos-Congos players
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 02:34:44 AM »
Quote from: Da1witdastix
My cuzzin play bongos at my church...he used soft quint mallets..he say he used it cuz u can't hear him with his stix..i seen this kat the play go-go..i really don't kno how he was playin it but it  loud...how are u suppose to hit a bongo to make it loud for real with out using a stix...

Happy Rogers week!!!

Tune tight, let the weight of your fingers/hands drop on the heads and stay relaxed. It take a while to develop good hand technique and it can get painful until your skin toughens up. Keep some epson salt around,  :lol:

I sometime play congas at church and the longer I am away from it the more it hurts. I is not about hitting hard but about pulling the most sound ound. The technique is really Moeller like in movement.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline drummercat777

• LGM Member
    • www.myspace.com/bdrums777

Bongos-Congos players
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 04:26:17 PM »
well, if the percussionist is trying to be heard, he could always try getting miked.  ha ha. but seriously though, it truly is all in the technique because i saw a percussion clinic and he was a master conguera. he was playing the congas and a shakere and a florr cowbell on a gajate bracket and you could hear congas extremely well even with the music that was accompanying him. it is all in the hand technique. as for the hands after a performance, for me, my hands don't hurt as much as itch. they feel raw and most often, a small bottle of lotion can be your best friend.
Psalm 150:5
why I do what i do.....

www.myspace.com/bdrums777

JFunky

Re: Bongos-Congos players
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 09:33:49 AM »
Quote from: Da1witdastix

Happy Rogers week!!!

Yo, I can help you on this.  Congas and bongos is part of my life and culture along with timbales and other percussion instruments.  Your cousin can use an SM57 if he wants to be heard. That depends on how big the church is though.  Remember, congas and bongos are made of Oak or Fyberglass so if you're a hitter you will be heard.  He'll have to get away from the stick usage unless he's going for a specific sound.  Depending on the bongo or conga, you can buy a Fyberskin 3 head for it and it won't be as hard on your hands.  Otherwise, he'll just have to suck it up and get used to it.  Play them dynamically and tune them nice and crisp. (Med. tight - tight) For more info. go to LP Music.com and they'll help you out brother. :wink:

Other reference: MD '05 with Latin All Stars. :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up