LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A monster's perspective.... good to great  (Read 563 times)

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

A monster's perspective.... good to great
« on: January 17, 2006, 05:11:56 PM »
This is taken from the up coming issue of Modern Drummer taken from their web site. It is an interview with Cuban drumset giant, Dabnis Prieto...

MD: As far as understanding Cuban drum technique, did you learn that on the streets, or when you went to school?
Dafnis: What I learned in school was all classical technique, the real technique of drums—not even trapset, but playing snare with two different techniques, American and German, along with all the classical percussion. But, of course, I played more Cuban street music at home in Santa Clara. The Cuban tradition had nothing to do with school. That information came from the streets, hanging out.
MD: What do you practice when you have time?
Dafnis: I do different things. I might just let go and improvise. Then I’ll work on things that may come into my improvisations that I have difficulty with. Sometimes I might have an idea, but I can’t get it to go from my brain to my limbs. I want to be able to think of something and play it automatically. To immediately be able reproduce whatever I’m thinking of or feeling is my goal.
MD: Your playing is so fast and light, and you have such a mastery of Cuban rhythms, stylized or not. Do these rhythms just come easier for a Cuban?
Dafnis: They are not easy. To get my technique going, I practiced Stick Control on the whole set. I would pick a pattern like the clave and play that with my right hand, while dividing Stick Control paradiddle variations between my left hand on the snare drum and my right foot on the bass drum. I would play the hi-hat on beats 1 and 3. There are so many variations.
    For me, the foundation of a heavy groove or of a great drummer are the subdivisions. It’s how you subdivide the rhythm that’s important. If your subdivisions are strong, your rhythms are going to be strong. I always practice subdividing, just taking a pulse or a beat and dividing the pattern into triplets, then fours, fives, sixes, sevens, nines, all in the same beat with the clave.

Renew your mind....

"Think!, It ain't illegal YET" - George Clinton from song Magget Brain.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline hendoo

• LGM Member

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 05:29:13 PM »
Sabe I feel where you coming from, but drummers need to realize one thing, even if you're never endorsed, noticed, playing at large arenas, it's about the love of the art & getting better for yourself,  the greatest drummer is somewhere in the country KILLIN!!!!! & noboby knows him, b/c is drumming for the art of it, stay blessed

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member

Re: A monster's perspective.... good to great
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 05:38:43 PM »
Quote from: SabianKnight

MD: As far as understanding Cuban drum technique, did you learn that on the streets, or when you went to school?
Dafnis: What I learned in school was all classical technique, the real technique of drums—not even trapset, but playing snare with two different techniques, American and German, along with all the classical percussion.
MD: What do you practice when you have time?
Dafnis: I do different things. I might just let go and improvise. Then I’ll work on things that may come into my improvisations that I have difficulty with. Sometimes I might have an idea, but I can’t get it to go from my brain to my limbs. I want to be able to think of something and play it automatically. To immediately be able reproduce whatever I’m thinking of or feeling is my goal.
MD: Your playing is so fast and light, and you have such a mastery of Cuban rhythms, stylized or not. Do these rhythms just come easier for a Cuban?
Dafnis: They are not easy. To get my technique going, I practiced Stick Control on the whole set. I would pick a pattern like the clave and play that with my right hand, while dividing Stick Control paradiddle variations between my left hand on the snare drum and my right foot on the bass drum. I would play the hi-hat on beats 1 and 3. There are so many variations.
    For me, the foundation of a heavy groove or of a great drummer are the subdivisions. It’s how you subdivide the rhythm that’s important. If your subdivisions are strong, your rhythms are going to be strong. I always practice subdividing, just taking a pulse or a beat and dividing the pattern into triplets, then fours, fives, sixes, sevens, nines, all in the same beat with the clave.

This is not about endorsements or big arenas. It is about the craft and respect of it. It is about being a steward (in my opinion). It is about how to be on the road to greatness. These are honest answers from someone whom is living it out... with fruits to show.

Renew your mind....

"Think!, It ain't illegal YET" - George Clinton from song Magget Brain.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 05:47:55 PM »
Quote from: hendoo
Sabe I feel where you coming from, but drummers need to realize one thing, even if you're never endorsed, noticed, playing at large arenas, it's about the love of the art & getting better for yourself,  the greatest drummer is somewhere in the country KILLIN!!!!! & noboby knows him, b/c is drumming for the art of it, stay blessed

I agree but I take it this level...

It's really about being the best God would have you to be with what He has allowed you to have. That's something that I amrealizing more and more. Whether we asked for it or not we are accountable for it. God assigns the mission we don't choose it we choose to receive it and finish it in obedience.
It is especially wrong to ask for it and not recieve o rfinish it. I know I am not the only one guilty of that.

My take, my quest.

rjthakid

Re: A monster's perspective.... good to great
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 08:28:42 AM »

........I always practice subdividing, just taking a pulse or a beat and dividing the pattern into triplets, then fours, fives, sixes, sevens, nines, all in the same beat with the clave.

That alone makes me want to practice more.  When I get off work I'm rushin home to practice. Triplets, Fourths and Sixths are one thing, but Fifths, Seveths and NINTHS?  And Practicing each limb doing different things at the same time?  I'm going to open a new thread right now based on this guys interview......
Pages: [1]   Go Up