LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Discussion on the Passion of the Christ  (Read 4356 times)

Discussion on the Passion of the Christ
« on: February 24, 2004, 05:45:57 PM »
Hey, after seeing the movie why not discuss it here?

I've already got several questions.

1. Was the movie historically accurate ( at least based on scripture)?
2. Was the gore excessive or necccessary ( remember crucifixion was a terrible death and was made this way by design)?

3. Did the movie  adequately show Jesus as both God and Human?

4. The movie only focuses on the last 12 hours of Jesus' life.  was that enough to show his love for mankind and the reason for the  cross?

5. There is a large outcry from the Jewish community that this movie is showing them in a bad light at a time when anti-semitism is very high. What do you think?

Jaylewis

Offline Long Fingers

• LGM Member

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2004, 09:37:43 AM »
I'm going this weekend to see it, so I'll post back later with my comments on it.

Offline newgreaterlover

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Myspace

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2004, 09:55:12 AM »
I think that will be a great idea
my church and i are all going to see it as a group
we're goingto discuss it in church
      so i think  that discussing it will be a great idea
New Greater Love Institutional Church of God in Christ

Offline Dredakyst

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Discussion on the Passion of the Christ
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2004, 12:58:22 PM »
Quote from: Jaylewis

I've already got several questions.

Jaylewis

Yes the movie is true to research and the Gospels... You can get techinical if you want... like orgin of the Gospels and etc... but they went a great deal to represent the story to the fullest....

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2004-02-19-passion-vs-gospel_x.htm

Might answer a few of your questions...

Offline ltljake

• LGM Member
    • http://www.pianodownloads.com

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2004, 01:10:29 PM »
I was holding back tears. Without a doubt the BEST movie Ive ever seen period. Move is in the launguage of the times so brush up on your subtitle reading skills. The fastest 2 hours in my life.  Dont go to this movie to be entertained. You wont be. To say youll be moved is an understatement. Mel definetly went for realism in this film.  The theater was pindrop quiet for most of the movie. Every Christian should see and discuss this film.  Although I hear the book is better LOL  (little joke I got from another forum)

Offline blessedone

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Sister in Christ

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2004, 07:19:47 PM »
I am going this weekend hopefully.
Without wood a fire goes out;without gossip a quarrel dies down
www.truefellowshipbc.org

Offline Whitetee

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2004, 06:54:07 AM »
I would think every Christian would be moved by seeing the movie, and hopefully those who aren't Christians would be moved also. I found it to be very accurate ,  At the end it was very quiet and people walked out with thier thoughts In deep perseptive. During the last scene (resurrection), After dealing with the brutal nature of his death and cruxifiction.  I almost wanted to shout  Yes Lord. But I knew it would be inappropriate but some how inside I felt it would be appropriate.

Greg

Offline TLJACKSON

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2004, 08:11:40 AM »
EVERY SINNER NEEDS TO SEE THIS MOVIE...  I SAW THE MOVIE LAST NIGHT AND I USUALLY EVER CRY DURING MOVIES BUT THIS TIME I DID.  EVERYONE WALKED OUT THE THEATER QUIET.  AND DURING THE MOVIE YOU DIDN"T HERE A PEEP.  ALL YOU HEARD WAS NOSE SNIFFINGS.  IT IS SO SAD HOW PEOPLE TREAT JESUS.  HE DIED FOR US ALL AND WENT THROUGH SO MUCH PAIN AND AGONY FOR US AND YET SOME PEOPLE STILL DON'T WANT TO SERVE HIM.  VERY SAD!!!  I WILL SERVE THE LORD 100% OF ME FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE.  PLEASE GO SEE THE MOVIE.  IT'S WORTH IT!!!

Offline jamesearljonesjr

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2004, 09:06:54 PM »
I was moved in a way that I did not know I could be moved.  I cried for almost an hour.  I suprised myself.  I knew this story inside and out before I went to this movie and I was still moved immeasureably.  I was motivated and inspired in so many different ways, it's hard to put it into words.  At the same time, I don't think I could watch it again.  

As we entered the theater a Jewish group was handing out flyers that basically said the movie was Anti-Semetic and unfair to Jews.  After seeing the movie, I strongly disagree--that movie was the Bible on film.
It was based on the Catholic Bible though--I have several different types of bibles but I'm going to buy a Catholic Bible tonight.

I just wish Mel Gibson would have told more of the story before he ended his big budget film career--because it's over.

Offline jayjay

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2004, 11:47:31 PM »
Dear jamesearljones jr.  I'm curious about why Mel Gibson's big budget acting career is over.  could you please give more info.

Offline jamesearljonesjr

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2004, 12:22:37 AM »
Quote from: jayjay
Dear jamesearljones jr.  I'm curious about why Mel Gibson's big budget acting career is over.  could you please give more info.

He has been labeled "Anti-semetic" in an industry where Jews have a lot of control.  It doesn't mean that he won't be able to make pictures, it just means, he has burned lots of bridges down at once.  That is one of the reasons he had to use so much of his own money for this film.  I saw a partial interview of him on TV last week were he said, his career may be over because of this film.  I'll look around the net and see if I can find that interview transcribed.

- James

Offline vina

• LGM Member

Dicussion of Passion of the Christ
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2004, 01:12:46 PM »
After Jesus was brutally beaten and nailed to the cross he still asked his father to forgive them for they not know,  what they do, that was deep and yet today we can't forgive people for the little things that they do. The movie is touching, also makes you wonder could you give your only child knowing what is going to happen? Mel Gibson has made a film that will that will last us a life time, save souls, and change the world. Jesus will certainly put that in the book as a plus.
virtious woman I love you with the love of Jesus

Offline Chairman777

• LGM Member

Hi
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2004, 07:30:34 PM »
Hi Jay and all,

Regarding point #5:  Hollywood has a history of double standards.  When Christian's were offended by The Last Temptation of Christ in 1988 Hollywood basically said "tough."  Around that same time there was a movie that some Muslims found offensive and they pulled it from theaters.  

No one in Hollywood suggested that two films by Jewish directors set in Nazi Germany, Steven Spielberg's "Schindler's List" or Roman Polanski's "The Pianist", were anti-German.  

But if a film is made by a Catholic Christian, he is labeled anti-semetic...  Even when the film is based on historical fact and shows Jews as BOTH heros and villians.  

But I'm not really surprised because Jesus said that we would be persecuted for following him...and that belief in him would be a stumbling block and would divide many...even parents from children.

Joe Esterhaus, who wrote Basic Instinct, Flashdance, Fatal Attraction, and Showgirls says Hollywood runs on greed.  The Passion Of The Christ has broken all kinds of records ie:  $117 million in it's 5 days-more than all the other top 12 movies out right now COMBINED!;  More pre-sold tickets than Star Wars-The Phantom Menace, the newest Harry Potter movie AND Lord Of The Rings COMBINED!; the biggest mid-week opening $ in movie history; the biggest February opening $ in history.  So will Hollywood take notice of this conservative, spiritual audience and start making movies that reflect those values.  Sadly, probably not...so we'll continue to get Will and Grace instead of AMAZING GRACE!!!  : )

Mel Gibson invested 25 million $ of is own money...but he clearly will be rewarded many, many times over (30, 60, 100 fold).  So if he allows God to lead him in his next film, he'll have nothing to worry about.

I need to apply all this to music...and invest my (far fewer) talents like Mel did!!  : )

Offline ReddGirl

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Keep on smiling!

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2004, 01:04:05 PM »
Chairman 777,
You are very eloquent!

I am going to see it Friday. I wonder if I should because I am 8 months pregnant, I am already on the verge of tears!

Offline duckling

• LGM Member

A passion that will never be found here on earth.
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2004, 09:32:25 PM »
i tell you, the passion christ showed is so humbling that even puts me to shame when i try and be humble before people.
he didnt say a word of rebuke, condemn or ask his father to destroy those who were puttin him thru all this pain.  NOPE!!!HE just carried what was you and i made him carry - our sins, mistakes, errors we make.
im a sinner to the days, but by his grace and his blood he has set me free, forgiven me and now i have a chance to make it to heaven.

bless you lord and fank you once again for yr love to send yr son to reconcile your people.

Offline jlewis

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • man I'm sleepy

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2004, 03:14:10 AM »
Well,

I went and saw The Passion today.  Very beautifully done and I commend Mel Gibson on his efforts.  Just a few notes.

1. Scene in the gardem of gesthemene....  Wow. Even the reference to the scriptures which allude to Jesus sweating blood were taken into account. Gibson  even alluded to prophecies from Genessis (enemity between man and the serpent in the garden of eden).  Very well done.

2. The issues on this movie being anti-semitic are completely unfounded. Even in the movie there were priests in the high council who were against the condemenation of Jesus. This justs brings to light ( for me personally) that  The sacrifice of Jesus was in Gods plan from the beginning, as a way of salvation for mankind. Even the Priests of the time were looking for the messiah, but they thought he would bring about a  a release from under roman occupation, Jesus was dealing with issues of the Spirit.

3.I don't know if anyone can adequately do justice to the notion of Jesus being both 100% human and 100% God, but this movie shows the best balance that I have seen. You can feel the inner turmoil and fear as the human side of Jesus trys to prepare  for the trials of the cross, and you can see the God side of Jesus begging for man's forgiveness as  he lay  there unjustly condemed.

4. What was up with the Satan and that baby?  I just don't get it...

5. I know Gibson is catholic, and  I know the catholic view of Mary the mother of Jesus. But  Mary's portrayal in this movie was remarkable. I can only imagine what a mother must have felt to see their son go through something like  that.  It makes me wonder (I don't know if the bible makes mention of it or not) if Mary had knowledge  that Jesus was to be crucified all along?

At any rate, this is  the must see movie of the year.  

Jaylewis

THIS IS A GREAT MOVIE
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2004, 02:17:42 PM »
THOSE WHO DON'T LIKE THE MOVIE.....PROBABLY DIDN'T LIKE THE BOOK EITHER!

GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!

Offline rwynn

• LGM Member
  • Praise The Lord!!!

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2004, 08:44:58 PM »
I absolutely agree, This was a great movie!!! I especially loved the scene where Jesus STOMPED  the serpent, it showed that he had the victory before the crucification.
God knows the plans He has for me......Jer 29:11
Pages: [1]   Go Up