LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I read this?  (Read 19610 times)

Offline Timo-Quique

• LGM Member

How do I read this?
« on: December 31, 2003, 04:59:48 PM »
Hey ya'll..When somebody posts chords to a song..how are exactly supposed to read it?  I'm new to this and it confuses me really bad.  Please help!

Re: How do I read this?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2003, 09:56:58 PM »
Quote from: Timo-Quique
Hey ya'll..When somebody posts chords to a song..how are exactly supposed to read it?  I'm new to this and it confuses me really bad.  Please help!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So ya want to know about that entire k-board lingo? No problem, here we go; first off, for majors, the roman numerals as follows:

I – II – III – IV – V – VI – VII – VIII
1__2__3___4__5___6___7___8           

Now for the symbols and such on the internet, the main types and what I use are these:
   L.H. = LEFT HAND
   R.H. = RIGHT HAND
   “ / “ = SEPERATES THE LEFT & RIGHT HAND
   ( - - ) = THE HYPHENS ARE FOR SINGLE NOTES BEING PLAYED
   FACE = CHORD ‘NOTED OUT ‘
   FM7 = CHORD NAME
                b = STANDS FOR FLAT
   # = SATNDS FOR SHARP
   o = DIMINISHED
   dim = DIMINISHED
   aug = AUGMENTED
   M = MAJOR
   m = MINOR
   + = RAISED OR SHARPED
   - = LOWERED OR FLATTED

How do I read this?
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2004, 12:07:21 AM »
Good post Hammondman because there are some people on the site who don't understand how you post chords.  That should be a key or a stickey or something.

Offline Long Fingers

• LGM Member

Ugh...
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2004, 10:26:36 AM »
Quote from: mjfeltnerjr
Good post Hammondman because there are some people on the site who don't understand how you post chords.  That should be a key or a stickey or something.

Hammondman and many other who do post songs, write legends to their posts so that people can understand it (there are a few who don't, but if you try playing through trial and error, you'll figure out how the song is supposed to be played)  it's either indicated at the beginning or towards the end. There have been countless posts on understanding what's written, if you or anyone else are confused, there's always the search that's provided where you can type in this topic and find where many people have explained this and many other topics.

I don't know what you have against Hammondman, but you shouldn't have directed that comment directly towards him:

Good post Hammondman because there are some people on the site who don't understand how you post chords.

I've noticed that you come down on Hammondman alot by critizing many of the things that He does. You're new, so you don't know that this site used to be on another site before it moved here and just maybe you shouldn't make comments directed towards Hammondman such as, "stop giving them the chords, explain things to them" without knowing that Hammondman, Lisa, Sam, and Mysteryman, myself and many other have been helping others by teaching, providing midis and chords since 1998 on various other gospel board before this site even exisited.

How do I read this?
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2004, 02:48:04 PM »
I didn't think I had anything against Hammondman.  I think he is an awesome musician and teacher and I wish him the best and hope God blesses him for his contributions to this site.  There are things that I've learned from Hammondman myself.  So if it seems like I have something against Hammondman I apologize to him and the thing about me telling Hammondman to "stop giving them chords", I later clarified that in the topic.  But for future reference, if Hammondman feels the same that is something Hammondman himself should handle by sending me a private message, not Long Fingers leaving a post.  Have a blessed day:-)

Offline Long Fingers

• LGM Member

How do I read this?
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2004, 04:59:15 PM »
didn't think I had anything against Hammondman. I think he is an awesome musician and teacher and I wish him the best and hope God blesses him for his contributions to this site. There are things that I've learned from Hammondman myself. So if it seems like I have something against Hammondman I apologize to him and the thing about me telling Hammondman to "stop giving them chords", I later clarified that in the topic. But for future reference, if Hammondman feels the same that is something Hammondman himself should handle by sending me a private message, not Long Fingers leaving a post.  Have a blessed day:-)

You may not now, but if you go back and read all the posts where you critized him then the one in this topic, one would really believe that you did have something against him. Take what you wrote in this post:

Good post Hammondman because there are some people on the site who don't understand how you post chords.

I mean, he's not the only one who post songs, many people do, and each has their own way of posting a song, so why direct the comment towards one person, why single out just Hammondman...see what I mean?

Since you're new here, the decorum on this site is that we don't critize each other and talk bad about one another. And if Hammondman had a problem with you, I'm very sure he would let you know, but I stood up for him because he's a nice and giving person whom I think of as a friend, and I was very tired of the things you were saying and directing towards him, but know this... when you critize any of the people on here that give their all and all, I will (and anybody else who know of those who are being talked about or critized, those who give of themseleves wholeheartendly) let you know that you're wrong and that it needs to cease.

Oh and by the way...you have a very blessed day as well Myron.

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

How do I read this?
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2004, 09:59:29 PM »
Does "have a blessed day" really mean "have a blessed day" or is it some type of curse? It seems like it to me. These things should be handled in pm, if you ask me. There are people here that aren't strong enough, spiritually, to handle conversations like this...among church people at that.

NOTE: I'm not taking sides. I just have this to say:

1. People should have the right to say what they feel. BUT, one should be careful of what is said because even though it may not offend the person that it's being said to, it may offend others.

2. The forum rules doesn't say that "free speech" isn't permitted. If this is so, then it should. Comments like "I don't like {anybody here} posts" (I haven't seen any of these.) are someone's opinion and are easily ignorable. People on here can say what they want, minus the general consensus of what is wrong.

3. Stay on topic please. The person that started this thread, started it with a legitimate question and shouldn't be forced to read off-topic replies (good intention or not). Moderators, please help us by deleting off-topic replies--I know I've made a few myself--unless the reply is by a moderator. (The rules say that the "moderator" is always right.) :|

4. PM? Back and forth replies like the above should be handled through PM. Ask yourself, "how useful is what I'm about to say" and "Am I within the topic of this thread".

5. Ban? If all else fails ban the offending person. Moderators have this ability.

Please don't take any offense in what I'm saying, as I don't mean it in any negative way. I just don't like to see people argue. Moderators, please feel free to delete my reply, if I'm out of line.

Offline Long Fingers

• LGM Member

How do I read this?
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2004, 08:38:42 AM »
Quote from: B3Wannabe
Please don't take any offense in what I'm saying, as I don't mean it in any negative way. I just don't like to see people argue. Moderators, please feel free to delete my reply, if I'm out of line.

I've pm you

Offline SisterT

• Senior Moderator
  • LGM Member
  • New Look, Still Divalicious!
    • Earnest and Roline Ministries

Re: Ugh...
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2004, 10:32:03 AM »
Quote from: Long Fingers

I don't know what you have against Hammondman, but you shouldn't have directed that comment directly towards him:
I've noticed that you come down on Hammondman alot by critizing many of the things that He does. You're new, so you don't know that this site used to be on another site before it moved here and just maybe you shouldn't make comments directed towards Hammondman such as, "stop giving them the chords, explain things to them" without knowing that Hammondman, Lisa, Sam, and Mysteryman, myself and many other have been helping others by teaching, providing midis and chords since 1998 on various other gospel board before this site even exisited.

As a "moderator, I feel it is quite necessary to respond here,

When mjfeltnerjr stated "Good post Hammondman because there are some people on the site who don't understand how you post chords", I saw a compliment followed by what could have been perceived as a put down. But, giving the benefit of the doubt, yhe statement "some who don't understand your post" could possibly mean that some do not understand the symbols, abbreviations, etc., especially if that someone is new gospel boards.

Firstly, Longfingers, I believe if Hammondman has a problem with what was stated here he will speak for himself, and/or one of the designated moderators will say something. If one of us did not address the issue, than perhaps it need not to be addressed. If you had a problem with the brother, you should have pm him only, not post comments and pm.

Longfingers, before you start pointing the finger at someone, remember there are three fingers pointing back at you.

You too have said some "blunt" things that we have let go. For example when that person posted chords for the first time in the gospel music lounge, you were quick to tell him he was wrong for placing a post there. Daryl nor the appointed moderators had a problem with the post, especially since it was not a "big deal", but you took it upon yourself to let that person know they had did something wrong, and had not followed the rules. Why be negative on a person's first post?

And when a person ask for chords, over and over again, you direct them to purchasing the book. While it is good to tell folks that the music is available on sheet music....well let me put it like this.....it's not WHAT you are saying, it's HOW MUCH you are saying it. We heard you the 30th time.

I do aqree that the chord hogs should invest in themselves and further their music education. But their requests tells me that if they are asking for the chords, they probably cannot read music.  As I stated, I believe they should do everything to help themselves, but you have to realize that some are not there yet. If you are not going to give the chords, just don't answer the post.

Now I am not in no form or fashion "telling you off". I am publicly making this statement because you "publicly" made yours. I hope you receive this in love.

Offline SisterT

• Senior Moderator
  • LGM Member

Re: How do I read this?
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2004, 10:38:44 AM »
Quote from: Hammondman!
[So ya want to know about that entire k-board lingo? No problem, here we go; first off, for majors, the roman numerals as follows:

By the way Hammondman, I like your legend. I'm going to post it on my site as well!!

Thanks!! Did you get my email at your new address???

Offline Long Fingers

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2004, 02:31:22 PM »
Quote from: SisterT
Now I am not in no form or fashion "telling you off". I am publicly making this statement because you "publicly" made yours. I hope you receive this in love.

Thanks for your comment Sister T and it's taken in love, however I don't apologize for anything I wrote because I meant it. Yes, I "publicly" made my statement to him because Myron has "publicly" made his critizisims towards others more than a few times.

Offline SisterT

• Senior Moderator
  • LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2004, 04:03:17 PM »
Quote from: Long Fingers
.....because Myron has "publicly" made his critizisims towards others more than a few times.

Yes, I agree he has been rude at times, but I disagree with your method(s) of correction.

Offline thekeynote

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://www.lisamholden.com

How do I read this?
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2004, 02:11:46 PM »
See, God is really working on me!!....lol!  How in the world did I miss this??....LOL.  I could have done some raw battle on this. But, God is working a new thang in me.  Hallelujah.  Here I am 2 weeks later, bringing up the rear...lol.  

Excuse me while I cut my step  :D  8)

The only thing I will say is that everyone, EVERYONE know about NTimeMusic, Sheetmusic.com, blah, blah, blah.  Since I can read music (and play by ear--thank you Jesus) I would buy the music if I knew it was out...if it wasn't, I'd learn it by ear).  The Joe Pace song book--best $25 I ever spent--it includes all the songs from THREE CD's!   Whichever, I'm not here begging for chords.  I think I've asked maybe 3 times in 4 years!  And, have yet to have anyone provide them--it was a matter of saving me some time.  

I do agree--if people could read music, they would buy the music and not be here begging for chords.  They can't, so they could care less about NTimeMusic or any other store, and chose to come here and beg(rather than LEARNING how to read music).  

Be Blessed and Highly Favored.  God is awesome in his power and might.

Love always,
Lisa
www.lisamholden.com
If "seeing is believing", try believing without seeing!

Offline SisterT

• Senior Moderator
  • LGM Member

How do I read this?
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2004, 06:54:18 PM »
Quote from: thekeynote
See, God is really working on me!!....lol!  How in the world did I miss this??....LOL.  I could have done some raw battle on this. But, God is working a new thang in me.  Hallelujah.  Here I am 2 weeks later, bringing up the rear...lol.  

Excuse me while I cut my step  :D  8)

The only thing I will say is that everyone, EVERYONE know about NTimeMusic, Sheetmusic.com, blah, blah, blah.  ......Be Blessed and Highly Favored.  God is awesome in his power and might.

Love always,
Lisa

You are toooo much!! Go 'head and cut your step!!

Offline blessedone

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Sister in Christ

How do I read this?
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2004, 07:55:29 AM »
I missed this too. I need to get on my job. :lol:
Without wood a fire goes out;without gossip a quarrel dies down
www.truefellowshipbc.org

Offline cockburn

• LGM Member
    • http://

learning how to play music
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2004, 10:54:04 PM »
I am new to this site and I am just starting to play music by ear. Is there any info anyone can give me to help me improve  my music?   Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up