LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Bass Player Need Help  (Read 899 times)

Offline soulstar08

• LGM Member
    • http://

New Bass Player Need Help
« on: August 23, 2006, 07:37:09 PM »
Wuz up Everybody, I just began learning how 2 play the bass not 2 long ago, n Im learning the different Major n Minor Scales, But What I want 2 know is, if Im learning a song off of my ipod for instance, how can I tell what key the song is in?

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

Re: New Bass Player Need Help
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 08:00:28 PM »
since you are learning scales already, you will have to train your ears to listen for the root of the scale that the song is in.  This is kind of hard to explain, help me out fellow bass players. 
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My wife is over my right shoulder.
    • my out of church band

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 08:09:12 PM »
I play a scale while the song is playing, then match it while the best one. I may be 75% accurate.

Offline cardfandan

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 03:17:34 PM »
Often (but by no means always!) the first note of the song gives away the key. When that is not the case you just have to listen to the chords to discover when and where the organ or piano or guitar is playing a major or a minor or a diminished chord.

Gospel is so jazz influenced that it can be difficult to determine a key because bassists and pianoists play so many non-chord tones.
Exodus 34:14

Godsbassman

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 04:10:45 PM »
Often (but by no means always!) the first note of the song gives away the key. When that is not the case you just have to listen to the chords to discover when and where the organ or piano or guitar is playing a major or a minor or a diminished chord.

Gospel is so jazz influenced that it can be difficult to determine a key because bassists and pianoists play so many non-chord tones.
Let me say this to everyone Danny know his stuff. I have listen and read his post. Joy to have you here Danny.

Offline cardfandan

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 07:41:29 AM »
Thanks Godsbassman!  ;D
Exodus 34:14
Pages: [1]   Go Up