LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Gospel songs that you feel have absolutely NO meaning...  (Read 66948 times)

Offline lilcarolina

• LGM Member
  • My Name Is Victory!

Gospel songs that you feel have absolutely NO meaning...
« on: January 30, 2006, 02:51:20 PM »
Let me start off the list with: "Cooling Water"
"I Know Who I Am, God Wrote It In His Plan For Me, My Name Is Victory!"

itsallpeach

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 02:54:52 PM »
PLEASE don't start this again!  This post is going to be over 1,000 pages long (here we go, Lord)!

JESUS WILL NEVER SAY NO!   That's the first one that comes to mind, and when they sing it in church I get a "zero" every time for "lack of participation"!

Offline SisterT

• Senior Moderator
  • LGM Member
  • New Look, Still Divalicious!
    • Earnest and Roline Ministries

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 03:04:15 PM »
We are doing a study on "love". One of the reasons God created us is to Fellowship together. Jesus said "A new command I give to you, that you love one another."

With that in mind, "Long as I got King Jesus" is contrary to the scriptures.
    Long as I got King Jesus I don't need nobody else.[/list:u]

We do need other people, for we were commanded to love others!

I can't get with "Cooling Water" either.

itsallpeach

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 03:06:30 PM »
    Somehow i KNEW Madea would find her way to this particular thread.  Between the two of us, we can give you MANY songs that are "unclear" in meaning.  I think she and I had this conversation once before!

Can't wait to see the responses!

churchyreal

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 03:09:08 PM »
    See, I also felt like the song "Long as I got King Jesus, I don't need nobody else." Here's what I believe, as far as opinions and things God approves, we don't need nobody else. But God also wants us to have people who we can talk to. So I agree, that in one sense that song doesn't have much meaning.

itsallpeach

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 03:09:09 PM »
    How about ALL of the "Hallelujah is the highest praise" songs.  What page was that on again?  I read about the people saying Hallelujah a lot in the Bible (and it means, praise the Lord).  But there are also instances of people shouting out "Hosanna" and "Selah"!  So, how was the determination made as to which one meant more than the other, and on what scale were the words weighed in order for that one praise to become the HIGHEST!?  And what is the lowest praise?  AMEN MAYBE!  Oh no, well that means "it is done".  Right?

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
    • LGM Member
      • Inspirational Contemplation

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 03:09:10 PM »
    I know Peach is going to shoot me, but....

Diane:  Abraham had a son
    Choir:   Work it out!
    Diane:   Isaac was the only one

Umm... Isaac wasn't the only one.  What about Ishmael?  In her defense, maybe she disregarded him on purpose, though, because he wasn't THE PROMISED son.

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
    • LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 03:12:35 PM »
    I don't know if everyone will know this song, but there's an old one that says, "Whatcha come here for?  Rock Daniel!"  In all my years I haven't figured that one out.

itsallpeach

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 03:28:52 PM »
    I think "Isaac was the only one" rhymed with "son" and she just "went there"!

As much as I love Dianne, I agree with you on that one!  And they just started playing it on Launchcast as I'm typing this!  Strange!

Offline Loopy

• LGM Royalty
    • LGM Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/mr_engram

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2006, 03:36:11 PM »
    When I read the title of this post, before viewing any responses, "Cooling Water" was the first thing that came to my mind!! (Sorry quartet lovers :? )

Also, this may be off on a bit of a tangent, but I was at a program recently and a choir sung "The Remix" and the lady leading it sung the son WORD FOR WORD, including the overseas and foreclusre parts!! To me that didn't make any sense!! (The song is fine, but shouldn't only Dianne be singing those parts??)

Also, one time I heard a youth choir singing "Long As I Get King Jesus" with a five year old girl singing the lead!! I was like PUH-LEEZE! little girl you would be totally lost without your mother, father, sister, brother, preacher, teacher, doctor, etc.......)
    Romans 1:16

Offline SisterT

• Senior Moderator
    • LGM Member
    • New Look, Still Divalicious!
      • Earnest and Roline Ministries

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2006, 03:38:32 PM »
    Quote from: itsallpeach
    I think "Isaac was the only one" rhymed with "son" and she just "went there"!

Compromise the Word for a rhyme!!! LOL!!!  :lol:

Herman, you are right, we can name many that are a bit "off" from scripture. People get so caught up with the beat that they really don't take the time to listen to the lyrics.

Offline DrummerBoyGil

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2006, 03:41:00 PM »
    I always thought she was saying 'wasn't' but had to say it fast so it fit with the music, so it ended up sound like was

Also, there are 2 Shirley Ceaser songs that I don't understand, I'm young tho, so maybe thats why. but i can't get with 'Rough side of the Mountain' and 'One More Battle to Fight'. If these songs DO have a purpose for them, please explain  :oops:

itsallpeach

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2006, 03:42:16 PM »
    OR..........people don't know the word enough to recognize it when it's misquoted!

To this day when we sing the 2nd verse of "Praise Him"...some choir members sing...."God is our Rock....Rock of salvation....A strong DELIVERANCE"  (or maybe they're saying DELIVER US, not sure)!

Either way, common sense (and their "diction-insistant" director) would repeatedly say THAT MAKES NO SENSE!  I went person by person...row by row...one Wednesday night and everyone said DELIVER-ER but when we sang all together again...........business as usual!

Offline LadyWiz

• LGM Royalty
    • LGM Member
    • Praise is what I do

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2006, 03:45:24 PM »
    Quote from: Loopy

Also, one time I heard a youth choir singing "Long As I Get King Jesus" with a five year old girl singing the lead!! I was like PUH-LEEZE! little girl you would be totally lost without your mother, father, sister, brother, preacher, teacher, doctor, etc.......)

Please don't get me laughing up in here!

Offline Loopy

• LGM Royalty
    • LGM Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/mr_engram

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2006, 03:46:33 PM »
    Quote from: nessalynn77
    I know Peach is going to shoot me, but....

Diane:  Abraham had a son
    Diane:   Isaac was the only one

Umm... Isaac wasn't the only one.  What about Ishmael?  In her defense, maybe she disregarded him on purpose, though, because he wasn't THE PROMISED son.

In defense of "Work It Out", God tells Abraham in Genesis 22:2 to "Take now your son, your ONLY SON Isaac ..... I guess denoting that Isaac is the son of promise. So the song isn't entirely wrong and is not totally against the word
    Romans 1:16

Offline LadyWiz

• LGM Royalty
    • LGM Member
    • Praise is what I do

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2006, 03:46:56 PM »
    I don't know if everyone will know this song, but there's an old one that says, "Whatcha come here for?  Rock Daniel!"  In all my years I haven't figured that one out.

Are you sure you got the words right??  :?

churchyreal

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2006, 03:50:05 PM »
    What about Shirley Caesar featuring Tonex, "I know the truth." I don't understand the song, I know it's talking about the devil, but can somebody clarify that song to me. Please???

itsallpeach

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2006, 03:51:01 PM »
    SHE SANG DIANNE'S AD-LIB WORD FOR WORD?  Man!  Why couldn't I have been there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am sitting at work picturing it and I am about to lose it!  Everyone wonders what I'm sitting here laughing at and I just keep saying FORECLOSURE! :lol:

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
    • LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2006, 03:52:30 PM »
    Quote from: LadyWiz

Are you sure you got the words right??  :?

I am positive!!  Grandma'nem used to sing it like it was straight out the WORD!!  If I can get somebody from 'Way back in da day' COGIC, they'll tell you I ain't lyin'!  And it goes on to say, "Well it ain't no harm, Rock Daniel!  Oh my LAWD, Rock Daniel"

Offline jehovahpraize

• LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2006, 03:53:19 PM »
    There is a song that says "If I perish, let me perish, I'm going to see Jesus."  But the bible says: "Thou shall not perish but have everlasting life."  So if one perish, will they see Jesus? NO.

What about the song that says :  Dry bones, dry bones get up dry ones.  I know the scripture. But what about when the song goes into naming the parts of the body.
    IT'S ALL ABOUT THE KINGDOM
    Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Up