LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Gospel songs that you feel have absolutely NO meaning...  (Read 66977 times)

Offline SisterT

• Senior Moderator
  • LGM Member
  • New Look, Still Divalicious!
    • Earnest and Roline Ministries

Gospel songs that you feel have absolutely NO meaning...
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2006, 03:53:22 PM »
Quote from: Loopy

Also, this may be off on a bit of a tangent, but I was at a program recently and a choir sung "The Remix" and the lady leading it sung the son WORD FOR WORD, including the overseas and foreclusre parts!! To me that didn't make any sense!! (The song is fine, but shouldn't only Dianne be singing those parts??)

That cracks me up too. People be singing/talking the "testimony" portion of a song. That part of the song is supposedly personally to the singer who recorded the song. Folks be singing it like they went through that experience. I heard a group singing the song where the crackhead son stole the singer's car. The group was singing it word-for word!  8O

When they let the little chil'ren sing grown folk testimonies (like the one you mentioned) it makes you wonder about how much thought went into the choir rehearsal song selections.

Offline Loopy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://www.myspace.com/mr_engram

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2006, 03:53:45 PM »
Quote from: itsallpeach
OR..........people don't know the word enough to recognize it when it's misquoted!

To this day when we sing the 2nd verse of "Praise Him"...some choir members sing...."God is our Rock....Rock of salvation....A strong DELIVERANCE"  (or maybe they're saying DELIVER US, not sure)!

Either way, common sense (and their "diction-insistant" director) would repeatedly say THAT MAKES NO SENSE!  I went person by person...row by row...one Wednesday night and everyone said DELIVER-ER but when we sang all together again...........business as usual!

Herman, I think that's a whole 'nother topic when people sing the wrong words to songs and that is a MAJOR pet peeve of mine!! I'm like if you gon' sang a song make sure you sing a song right, or at least make sure the words you are singing make common sense! I could start a whole new thread with some of the stupid (and funny) stuff I've heard people say when they sing the wrong words to a song!!

Like: "Amazing grace how sweet the sound that saved THE REST like me!!! :lol:
Romans 1:16

itsallpeach

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2006, 03:55:20 PM »
LOOPY STOP!  I can not holler at work like that!

Offline Loopy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2006, 03:56:58 PM »
Quote from: jehovahpraize
There is a song that says "If I perish, let me perish, I'm going to see Jesus."  But the bible says: "Thou shall not perish but have everlasting life."  So if one perish, will they see Jesus? NO.

That quote comes from the book of Esther when she says "If I perish, I perish. I must see the king." During those days if you went in to see the king without an appointment you were subjuct to be stoned!!!

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Inspirational Contemplation

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2006, 03:59:48 PM »
Okay, this is not really a pointless song, but on more than one occasion, Smokie makes a reference to "Every man, boy, and girl."  Now there's a glaring omission in this phrase, and if i'd heard it one time, I would think he just misstated it, but he says it on more than one song that he sings.  Nothing major intended, i'm sure.  It just bugs me every time I hear it.  I love Smokie, though!

Offline Loopy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2006, 04:00:33 PM »
LOOPY STOP!  I can not holler at work like that!

Now y'all know the funniest stuff comes out the black chu'ch! It ain't my fault!!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2006, 04:03:56 PM »
OR..........people don't know the word enough to recognize it when it's misquoted!

To this day when we sing the 2nd verse of "Praise Him"...some choir members sing...."God is our Rock....Rock of salvation....A strong DELIVERANCE"  (or maybe they're saying DELIVER US, not sure)!

Either way, common sense (and their "diction-insistant" director) would repeatedly say THAT MAKES NO SENSE!  I went person by person...row by row...one Wednesday night and everyone said DELIVER-ER but when we sang all together again...........business as usual!

Herman, I think that's a whole 'nother topic when people sing the wrong words to songs and that is a MAJOR pet peeve of mine!! I'm like if you gon' sang a song make sure you sing a song right, or at least make sure the words you are singing make common sense! I could start a whole new thread with some of the stupid (and funny) stuff I've heard people say when they sing the wrong words to a song!!

Like: "Amazing grace how sweet the sound that saved THE REST like me!!! :lol:

My MOM has this bad!  And then when I tell her the correct lyrics, she gets mad.  So I just let it go, knowin' we sound foolish.  I be on the organ like, I hope nobody catches it, that's embarrassing!

Offline Loopy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2006, 04:07:19 PM »
Quote from: nessalynn77

My MOM has this bad!  And then when I tell her the correct lyrics, she gets mad.  So I just let it go, knowin' we sound foolish.  I be on the organ like, I hope nobody catches it, that's embarrassing!

OMG!! I know just how you feel!! I've worked with a couple of directors in the past like this and I'm sitting there playing and gritting my teeth the whole time because I KNOW they're singing the song wrong!! It's the most frustrating thing in the world!!

Offline jehovahpraize

• LGM Member

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2006, 04:11:34 PM »
There is a song that says "If I perish, let me perish, I'm going to see Jesus."  But the bible says: "Thou shall not perish but have everlasting life."  So if one perish, will they see Jesus? NO.

That quote comes from the book of Esther when she says "If I perish, I perish. I must see the king." During those days if you went in to see the king without an appointment you were subjuct to be stoned!!!

So who is the song referring to?  It's just that when I hear the song, I think of "Thou shall not perish, but have everlasting life."

To me that's where the confusion comes in?
IT'S ALL ABOUT THE KINGDOM

Offline Loopy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2006, 04:19:14 PM »

So who is the song referring to?  It's just that when I hear the song, I think of "Thou shall not perish, but have everlasting life."

To me that's where the confusion comes in?

I think that it is just a mis-application of the scripture. We new testament believers will not perish, so you are right! I was just saying that that's where that saying comes from.

Kinda like when people always say during testimony service that they are CLOSED in their right minds! :lol:  The scripture says that when the man with leprosy was healed/delivered, he was clothed and in his right mind!

uniquepraise

No sense songs
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2006, 05:38:08 PM »
SORRY COGIC  8O

In the morning when I rise

What are you going to do?????????  8O  :D

Cooling Water (my grandma aint got no well!)

A interesting song I heard - he talks about the preacher cant preach cause the lady on the front row in a short skirt keep trying to catch his eye, then its the deacon that gets called suga daddy on monday.  Not saying that he isnt true about what he's saying its just an interesting way of putting things lol.  :D

Offline Jniles_NCF

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2006, 05:43:04 PM »

OMG!! I know just how you feel!! I've worked with a couple of directors in the past like this and I'm sitting there playing and gritting my teeth the whole time because I KNOW they're singing the song wrong!! It's the most frustrating thing in the world!!

when your used to playing or singing it the right way and your mind automatically goes to play it and the choir or praise team doesn't ...
God doesn't want your gifts. He wants your life...

Offline HeartToServe

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2006, 06:07:42 PM »
I know Peach is going to shoot me, but....

Diane:  Abraham had a son
Choir:   Work it out!
Diane:   Isaac was the only one
Choir:   Work it out!

Umm... Isaac wasn't the only one.  What about Ishmael?  In her defense, maybe she disregarded him on purpose, though, because he wasn't THE PROMISED son.

In defense of "Work It Out", God tells Abraham in Genesis 22:2 to "Take now your son, your ONLY SON Isaac ..... I guess denoting that Isaac is the son of promise. So the song isn't entirely wrong and is not totally against the word

You beat me to it Loopy-dogg!!!

Ya gotta know the word b4 u quote the word!!!

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: No sense songs
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2006, 06:18:33 PM »
Quote from: uniquepraise
SORRY COGIC  8O

A interesting song I heard - he talks about the preacher cant preach cause the lady on the front row in a short skirt keep trying to catch his eye, then its the deacon that gets called suga daddy on monday.  Not saying that he isnt true about what he's saying its just an interesting way of putting things lol.  :D

In the morning when I rise?  Maybe it's because I'm COGIC, but I totally get that one.

Offline Loopy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: No sense songs
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2006, 06:27:06 PM »
Quote from: uniquepraise
SORRY COGIC  8O

In the morning when I rise?  Maybe it's because I'm COGIC, but I totally get that one.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I totally get that one, too. I guess it's a "sanctified" chu'ch thang!!

Offline chrisjr4

• LGM Member
    • http://members.blackplanet.com/chris_jr4/

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2006, 06:37:14 PM »
There's a song that states "Jesus Is the Father, you can call Him any hour"... Man, I'd like to tell that choir "Jesus is Jesus!!! If He was the Father then he wouldn't have become sin for you!!" I don't know who it's by but that really urks me.

As much as I love MaryMary's music. "Yesterday" How can YOU decide that you've cried your last tear? God hasn't promised that we wouldn't cry or have pain. The music is great though!!

Any song that says "I found Jesus, or I found YOU"... And I know that includes "Lookin' for You" (K. Franklin) and "At the Cross (JP Kee) but it's true.

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2006, 06:40:51 PM »
I never thought about this, but my friend from Philly told me one time, and it makes sense (she really ruined this song for me:

"I Thank the Lord for Jesus, I Thank the Lord for Jesus, I thank the Lord for Jesus, in my soul!"

She said, Jesus is the LORD, so you're really saying, I thank Jesus for Jesus.  She says where she's from they say "I thank God for Jesus", it just don't have the same ring after all those years of singing it the other way.

Offline PROSTR8

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2006, 06:41:55 PM »
ROUGH SIDE OF THE MOUNTAIN

Why you climbing up the rough side of the mountain when the Bible says SPEAK TO THE MOUNTAIN AND THE MOUNTAIN WILL MOVE!!!!? :roll:

Also.....

A classic, but.....O MARY DON'T YOU WEEP

What does Pharoah's army drowning in the Red Sea got to do with MAry and Martha weeping? :roll:

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2006, 06:45:20 PM »
My church here in Reno sings:

Oh the Blood of Jesus (3 times)
AND WE MUST NOT SUFFER LONG

Okay I really think that this phenomenon, only occurs at COGIC churches in Reno (it's like a malfunction in the song lyric continuum or something), but isn't it IT WASHES WHITE AS SNOW?  Has anyone outside of Reno ever heard that alternate ending before?  Me and another organist who came out of the Baptist church (apparently untainted by this mistaken lyric epidemic) tried to start a campaign to get them to sing the right lyrics, but to no avail.  Everybody looks at us like we're dumb.

Offline Loopy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2006, 06:46:26 PM »
Quote from: PROSTR8

A classic, but.....O MARY DON'T YOU WEEP

What does Pharoah's army drowning in the Red Sea got to do with MAry and Martha weeping? :roll:

Good question! :?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Up