LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speaking of straps...  (Read 1194 times)

Offline NewBass

• LGM Member
    • Word Of His Power Ministries

Speaking of straps...
« on: January 31, 2006, 07:32:54 PM »
Can some of you seasoned vets recommend a good BASS guitar strap. Seems like every guitar center I visit, there are plenty of GUITAR straps, but nothing for us BASS players...

Thanks in advance.  8)
<>< Psalm 119:144 <><

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My wife is over my right shoulder.
    • my out of church band

Speaking of straps...
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 08:43:10 PM »
these are the only straps I buy now they are wide and comfy and they look good

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Accessories?sku=364716

Offline Saintlewis

• LGM Member
    • http://

Comfort Strapp
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 10:55:37 PM »
http://www.comfortstrapp.com/
The best strap out there.  Hard to find so I get it online. You can have a brick around your neck and not even know it.  Saintlewis

Offline bradleymoorer

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Bringing da bass in Jesus name!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/minbrad

Speaking of straps...
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 03:13:02 AM »
I recommend that you get a strap that has a cusioned neck, there is nothing worse then your strap digging into your neck after you been playing a while, and please don't forget the strap locks, the last thing you want is to make the wrong move and your strap comes off and your bass smacks the floor.....I get chills even saying that! peace!
Bradley AKA Bass Monkey

Offline mr_layback

• LGM Member

Speaking of straps...
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 07:58:06 AM »
This might be off topic, but can someone explain strap locks?
Perfect Practice Makes Perfect!

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My wife is over my right shoulder.
    • my out of church band

Speaking of straps...
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 03:24:48 PM »
strap lock are pieces you add to the bass and the strap thats ment to be a push button release I have one set on my fender back when I was a rookie, now that I've been around a lil I think they might be a waste of money I've never had a strap slip off. If fact the straps that I get I have to fight to get the on and off my Ibanez and Yamaha basses have really wide strap horns and I can't see the strap slip off the horn............

one man's opinion

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

Speaking of straps...
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 10:23:27 PM »
Straps

Straps, like most other bass related things, will depend on how much you want to pay.  There are Levy's straps which will run you in the $20 - 40 range.  There's also ComfortStrap which is designed to help distribute the weight of some of the heavier basses (one of my basses weighs 13 1/2 lbs).  Personally, I prefer wide straps.  At least 3" wide, but preferably 4" wide.  If they have fleece or suede on the bottom, that works better, since it'll grab onto your shirt, bloause, or robe and keep your instrument from slipping out of position.  There are hig end and custom made straps that can cost you from $60 to several hundred dollars.  Moody's straps and Italia straps are both very nice high end straps.  Trivia:  Alison Moody of Moody straps and the guy that runs Italia used to be married and both started Moody's.  They had a rather difficult divorce and he started Italia.

Strap Locks

In my opinion, they are cheap insurance.  I did have a bass strap slip off of a strap horn a few years ago.  Luckily I caught the neck in mid air, a couple feet before it would've smashed to the floor.  This particular bass cost me 4 digits, and the first digit is not a "1", so you know there were moments of stress involved.  There are two principle types of StrapLoks, Dunlop and the other brand that I don't remember right off hand.  I have 6 basses.  All of them have strap locks.  The first thing I do when I get a new bass is put strap locks on it.  I have some of both brands.  The way the Dunlops work is they have a ball bearing actuated sleeve.  You have to pull up on the cap to expand the ball bearings to allow the two parts to separate.  

The other type, which I prefer, has a horseshoe shaped sleeve that clips over the strap button.  I actually RARELY take my straps off my basses. They each have their own strap locked on.  I just drape the whole thing over my head when it's "playtime".

Peace,

James
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline basedigrace

• LGM Member
    • http://www.myspace.com/eriksancho

Speaking of straps...
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 11:55:52 AM »
+1 on the comfort strap. It has a nice thick cushion. It makes my Warwick sort of bearable on the shoulder.
Pages: [1]   Go Up