LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lock in with the drummer???  (Read 957 times)

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

Lock in with the drummer???
« on: February 03, 2006, 09:21:26 AM »
Well, I want to get better over the next few months so I will be asking alot of questions (in the past, I'd be 'scurd' to do this but I'm serious about playing now and don't wanna waiste time).

I often hear that the Bassist needs to 'Lock in with the drummer'.  What does this mean exactly.  Are you suppose to lock in with the bass pedal??

And what if your drummer changes his rythmns up like every verse (not exactly a pocket drummer)???
:)

Offline djgroovin

• LGM Member

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 09:27:56 AM »
It's about timing.  You want to match your root note with the bass drum which is usually on the down beat.  You can put it on the upbeat also but you want to make sure that your timing is dead on.

Offline uriahsmusic

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://WWW.URIAHSMUSIC.COM

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 01:22:54 PM »
LOCKING ANY TWO THINGS TOGETHER TAKES CAREFULL LISTENING AND TEAMWORK

SOME DRUMMERS ARE MANIACS THAT NEVER PLAY THE SAME THING TWICE....SO THERE IS LITTLE TO LOCK ON AN AGREED LEVEL...

IF YOU AND THE DRUMMER AGREE TO DO IT THEN LOCKING THE ACCENT POINTS IS EASY...

IF THE DRUMMER ISNT CO-OPERATING...SIMPLY EQ YOUR BASS TO SOUND AS MUCH LIKE HIS BASS DRUM AS POSSIBLE...AND LISTEN TO HIM FOR A MINUTE TO GET HIS STYLE IN YOUR HEAD...THEN PLAY....

THE ACCENTS IN A SONG ARE OFTEN AS THE CHORDS CHANGE OR DURING BREACKS IN THE SONG LIKE THE TRANSITION FROM A VERSE TO A CHORUS...

LISTENING TO THE THE DRUMMER PATTERN WILL BE KEY TO YOUR SUCCESS....UNLES OF COURSE YOU PRACTICE LOCKING STUFF TOGETHER AT REHEARSAL!

Offline bradleymoorer

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Bringing da bass in Jesus name!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/minbrad

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 03:49:55 AM »
well said uriah....it is not only one you to lock-up the drummer has to lock with you make sure he knows that, you will find that better drummers will accent your runs which sounds really cool and really tight. As long as you root matches up with that bass drum you already have a good groove going, peace!
Bradley AKA Bass Monkey
Pages: [1]   Go Up