LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "BUSYNESS"  (Read 1647 times)

Offline GRM_Drummer05

• LGM Member
    • http://

"BUSYNESS"
« on: February 03, 2006, 01:00:51 PM »
How would you describe being "busy" on the set? And, is being "busy" a bad thing? If so, who have you heard that was just "busy" for no reason?

Offline DrummieSyd

• LGM Member
    • http://www.lamontsydnor.com

Busyness
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 02:15:12 PM »
That term means different things to different people as most things.  But here is my opinion:

-An overly busy drummer is one who plays through every break and fill up all holes.  

-Playing fills smuch that it disturbs the overall groove and becomes a distraction to the song, especially if there are vocalist.

-Playing to many fills in an instrumental setting when one is soloing.

-Also being to busy leaves drummers with nothing else to say when the song climaxes and when called to do a solo.

-As a drummer keep in my mind to play for the music not for other drummers (ala Chris Dave; Chris Johnson; Dennis Chambers; LaDell Abrams; Jeremy Haynes; Calvin Rodgers; Marvin Mcquitty; James with Donnie McClurkin etc...Vinnie Coliuta; Carter Beauford)

Hope that helps you out. These are the things the older cats I've played and toured with over the years told me when I was starting out as a Professional drummer/percussionist.  It has helped me maintain this profession since I was 16 and now supporting a family living very comfortable by God's grace and the tlent he blessed me with plus listening to these other cats on getting and keeping a gig.  Chops and licks can get you noticed but keeping that pocket you can put your kids through college!

Pearldrummer1

"BUSYNESS"
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 03:05:33 PM »
Getting busy is where you are doing your thing but when the other musicians are feeding off of you and not just playing behind you. You might have your rolls but the keys man will have his runs and the bass player will be doing his thang and everything will be sounding good, but it's not mushed together to sound nasty. Trust me if you gettin busy, You'll know it. I think getting busy is like football because you cant get busy if everyone isnt getting busy with you. The runningback will have a horrible day unless all the lineman are blocking, not just 1 or 2, all of them.

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

"BUSYNESS"
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 12:55:59 AM »
Quote from: Pearldrummer1
Getting busy is where you are doing your thing but when the other musicians are feeding off of you and not just playing behind you. You might have your rolls but the keys man will have his runs and the bass player will be doing his thang and everything will be sounding good, but it's not mushed together to sound nasty. Trust me if you gettin busy, You'll know it. I think getting busy is like football because you cant get busy if everyone isnt getting busy with you. The runningback will have a horrible day unless all the lineman are blocking, not just 1 or 2, all of them.

He asked about "being busy" not g"gettin busy"...

"beising busy" is as dDrummerSyd said above playing to much, fills all over the place, showcasing instead of supporting the soloist. Most gospel drummers today are too busy/over play.

You have to let must breath not fill up every whole. Playing music is about not only what you play but what you DON'T play.

Everyoe here needs to buy this issue of Modern Drummer... Terry Bozzio cover.
It has a great article on session monster, Micheal "Pocket Monster" White whom talks about how to play sessions, playing pocket etc. He has been a "working Pro" for 28 years non stop.

Also read the article on Nathanial Kunkel drummer/recording engineer... son of Russ Kunkel (sessions great). He talks about how to approach a recording session.

Tons of good info in this one. READ... we are not on the plantation anymore, it is not illegal!
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline Cherri

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Imperial Majesty! $200,000...

Re: "BUSYNESS"
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 11:15:50 AM »
Quote from: GRM_Drummer05
How would you describe being "busy" on the set? And, is being "busy" a bad thing? If so, who have you heard that was just "busy" for no reason?

Peace and blessings. The church I am playing for, I am the bassist and back-up drummer. The guy who is the main drummer he is ALWAYS over playing. He "display" chops through all song fast or slow, he has no "pocket." Yes, it's a bad thing.

When I first started playing at this church, I didn't understand pocket. I thought it was I throwing the groove off. Until the guy whom was teaching me bass came and visited the church. It was that bad brother! My mentor simple said, “ he has no pocket, all musicians MUST be on the same accordance to incorporate the groove.”  As the back-drummer, there has not been a time when I play that someone doesn’t come and say to me you “you moved me and I enjoy when you play.”
In my opinion, even for a drum solo you must understand placement. In life period you must understand time and place.
What can I $ay Juanita Bynum is my cicerone.

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

"BUSYNESS"
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 01:20:28 PM »
Well said Cherri!
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline waydrummer

• LGM Member

"BUSYNESS"
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2006, 10:05:23 PM »
Busyiness is not a good thing.  It means you are constantly doing stuff through out the whole song.  A band as a whole can be too busy.  If you want to do fills pick a spot in the song  where there isn't a lot going on.  If you do too much during a song you won't have any thing for the rest of the song.

Offline jusplay

• LGM Member
  • JUST LET YOUR SOUL GLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"BUSYNESS"
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2006, 10:12:29 PM »
ITS ALL ABOUT THE GROOVE.......... when you do a fill make sure you know why you put it there thats wat I have learned up here at school......... a lot of gospel drummers get locked in to "SHOWING OFF" for the "FELLAS" ......... ITS ABOUT THE MUSIC AND NOT YOU............
Love is Peace...Music is Learning.... and God is Life!!!

Offline Pinaro

• LGM Member

"BUSYNESS"
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2006, 10:49:20 PM »
Quote from: SabianKnight
He asked about "being busy" not g"gettin busy"...

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  funny
chris "Daddy" DAve ROCKS!!!
jesus ROX HARDER!!

BROOKLYN
Pages: [1]   Go Up