LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4 string bass  (Read 1009 times)

Offline Krazy_afro_man

• LGM Member

4 string bass
« on: February 08, 2006, 04:58:03 AM »
hey whats goin on everone. I'm a drummer and im learning the organ but I love the bass. I have a 4 string and I was wondering What is the best way to tune it? I heard how to string a 5 but I dont know the best way to string a 4. Can someone help me out?

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My wife is over my right shoulder.
    • my out of church band

4 string bass
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 05:27:26 AM »
Standard tuning low to how is

EADG

Offline Krazy_afro_man

• LGM Member

4 string bass
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 08:12:01 AM »
I think that is the way I had it but when i tried to play to a couple of cd's, the bass player was going like a couple notes lower than I could go

tondee

4 string bass
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 08:43:18 AM »
My five string is in proper tune, beadg, and those cd guys STILL bottom out at least a whole note past me, like maybe A.

Tony

Offline Docdb04

• LGM Member
  • I Stand At the Door and Knock

4 String
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 09:07:23 AM »
You can use a keyboard or buy a tuner.  The way that I do it is by using my keyboard.  I pluck my open E string (4th string) and I tune that to the keyboard.  Once my E string is tuned, I then go to the closed A note, (which is the 5th fret on the E string) and pluck that note and tune my A string according to closed A note on the E string.  Once my A string is tuned, I go to the closed D note on the A string, (which is the 5th fret on the A string.) pluck that note and tune my D string according to the closed D note on my A string.  Repeat this process until you tune the first string which is the G string.

Hope this helps.

tondee

4 string bass
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 11:52:23 AM »
Quote from: tondee
My five string is in proper tune, beadg, and those cd guys STILL bottom out at least a whole note past me, like maybe A.

Tony

...whole note below me.  I thought about tuning a whole step down across the board but I will be screwed up for a while.  Can i afford that??  People'll be screaming at me "A-FLAT" as I look right at them and hammer out in the key of G-flat, that 'on-the-spot stuff.'  Things would be great later.  But I don't know if I want to go thru that learning curve.

Tony

Offline Krazy_afro_man

• LGM Member

4 string bass
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 02:18:36 PM »
Yea i thought about going a whole octave down to to the next low E but then I wondered if that would have any negative effects that would catch up to me later. Maybe ill just have to not go as low as they do. My next question is, how do they string thier bass to go that low or how many strings does thier base have?
Pages: [1]   Go Up