LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! AND AGAING I PLEAD FOR HELP!!!  (Read 3132 times)

Offline deek

• LGM Member

HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! AND AGAING I PLEAD FOR HELP!!!
« on: July 01, 2003, 02:26:04 PM »
I serve as Minister of Music of a large congregation which has plummeted to a severely small congregation.  ibWhen I inquire with various individuals why they are not participating in church anymore I keep hearing the comment, "I JUST DON'T GET ANYTHING OUT OF THE MESSAGE."  I sincerely believe that these are not complaints but the actual truth.  I attend Church Sunday School, Bible Study, Mission (when they have it), etc.  and I experience the same feeling that many are expressing.  I am having difficulty keeping encouraging the choir members to stay after the choir has ministered.  What should I do?  Can someone please help me?

Offline ant-dogg

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2003, 06:07:35 PM »
Prayer changes things.  Turn it over to the Lord.  He knows what's going on .  He has it all in control.  Pray about it and have faith in God.  God's will, will be done !  Keep the faith.   :D

itsallpeach

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2003, 12:13:53 PM »
Sometimes you have to bring something with you in order to get something out. But I agree with Ant. . .PRAY!  Let God do the drawing and driving, not you or anyone else.  The tongue is a dangerous weapon.  Try less talking and more praying.

Just a thought. . .

Offline ElderE

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2003, 02:20:53 PM »
Deek, I'm in Amarillo-Tx. and we are going through the same thing. About 3 wks ago my drummer, bass player and guitar player walked out on the church. Alot of people left the church. But I beleive that all of us need to understand the "SEASON" that the Body of Christ is going through. Jesus told a parable about the farmer sowing seeds in the field and the enemy came in and sowed tares (weeds) in the same field. The field-workers asked, "Should we pull the weeds now?" He said, "No, let them grow together and when HARVEST-TIME comes, then the WEEDS will get pulled FIRST and the wheat will be left to harvest. I believe that RIGHT NOW is our HARVEST-TIME!!! There are some weeds that are getting pulled around us! If we want to be part of the harvest, then we must dig our roots deeper into the ground (soil or foundation or vision of your house). and hang on!! There is some sifting going on all over the place. But if you are faithful and remain strong, you will be rewarded greatly!! I'm praying for you and all of us here on LGM!!

ElderE

Offline Long Fingers

• LGM Member

Re: HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! AND AGAING I PLEAD FOR HELP!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2003, 10:12:36 AM »
Quote from: deek
I serve as Minister of Music of a large congregation which has plummeted to a severely small congregation.  ibWhen I inquire with various individuals why they are not participating in church anymore I keep hearing the comment, "I JUST DON'T GET ANYTHING OUT OF THE MESSAGE."  I sincerely believe that these are not complaints but the actual truth.  I attend Church Sunday School, Bible Study, Mission (when they have it), etc.  and I experience the same feeling that many are expressing.  I am having difficulty keeping encouraging the choir members to stay after the choir has ministered.  What should I do?  Can someone please help me?

I feel you all the way. I left my old church back in September, I'd been there all my life. When I was in high school I wanted to find a church for me because I wasn't getting anything out of the service at all. Our youth ministy was falling apart, and there was nothing there that kept me interested in going, except I was made to go by my mom because I played for the youth choir. Mainly obligations to different ministries kept me at that church, I didn't want to let anyone down, so I kept going and being involved in those ministries even though I wasn't growing. I played for the children's choir when I entered college, and that kept me motivated somewhat.

However when my mom passed away, when the director of the children's choir and the minister of music started to push me out (a let me tell you the children's choir has gone downhill since I left), I had my chance to finally find a church home that was just for me.

I finally found a church home last month, I was visting the church off and on last year on the Sundays I didn't have to play, sing, or usher at my old church. Then in February, I started to attend every Sunday. Why? Because the messages related to me, I could relate to what was being taught to me, and see how it reflected in my life, something I hadn't been able to do before. My pastor at my old church (I love Him and all), just had messages that went over people's heads. He used all these big words (and that was cool, cause I knew what He was saying, but many others didn't because many of them, our congregation was mainly older people in their 60's plus, hadn't finish high school or gone to college), he talked down to us in a way, and went all off subject.

I admit, I fell asleep many a Sundays or just diverted my thoughts elsewhere...how was that helping me to grow? Not only that, but there weren't ministries for the youth to keep them interested in church and the college aged, young adults...so when many of the kids started high school, and college, they went elsewhere to church, because there was nothing there for us (the older people just push the younger people to the side and we wouldn't get a chance to help out around the church or anything). And people there would look down on someone if they were in jail before, had a baby, anything like that.

Now at the church I attend, the services are exciting and makes me excited to come and be there on time, but it doesn't stop there...we can wear what we want to wear...so people really don't dress up, they have bible studies for every age group, and for women, men, and the whole church as well. Support groups from those who lost a loved one, to those whose loved ones are on drugs or alcohol (the church is located downtown, where many of the homeless and what society calls outcasts in that area, and the church caters to them, feeds them, clothe them, give them professional haircare, healthcare...so they want a chuch without walls where everyone can come together and be comfortable, which is why people don't don their fancy suits, they're themselves) . Just last Sunday, the pastor was recogizing those who were in recovery from drugs and alcohol, then He asked if anyone else was recovering...some more hands went up. He then told the whole congregation to raise their hands because we're all recovering from something daily or else we wouldn't need God working on our lives, and that's a reason to praise Him at all times.

I'm going on and on and I do apologize for that, but I continue to pray for my old church, because I see that they can grow and become a mighty vessel of God in that area, but the people there don't want to do anything, they'd rather spend thousands of dollars of the church's money on food to eat for every program; than try to work on ministries within the church to help the congregation grow,  and for everyone to grow in the word, especially the little ones,...maybe one day I pray.

Just keep praying and encouraged, remember prayer changes things. And remember God is the overseer of everything, He has a plan for everything, maybe He's working on a plan for your church where one day, bam, the preacher there brings forth a word that everyone can relate to every Sunday, you never know, we're all works in progress...so stay faithful.

Offline Saxman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • SAXMAN'S MINISTRY

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2003, 10:39:26 AM »
Man oh Man!  Deek  be encouraged and pray like the others have said.  Long Fingers, girl you are longed winded.  Is the Lord calling you to ministry? :)  Just playin' witcha.  However, if He is PRAISE THE LORD!!!

By some of these comments I can sense that this is going on across the country.  There is a lot a barrenous, the jar is dried up or the fire is gone from a lot of these churches.  The way things that were done back then is ineffective now.  

Times have changed, but Jesus has not changed.  The message has not changed.  However,  churches must address the needs and the concerns of this generation.

My goodness.  I could write a whole article about this.  You got me thinking Deek.  I must do an article on this.  Really, the bottom line people are not accepting change.  Hang in There and Let the Holy Ghost lead you.  I'm prayin'

Saxman

Offline deek

• LGM Member

DEEK SENDS HERE THANKS!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2003, 11:31:09 AM »
You guys are wonderful.  Thank you so very much for the words of encouragement.  It's really great to know that I'm not the only one sitting in a dry place.  But the Lord told me specifically, "If you don't learn to praise me in the dry places, I can't take you to the places that I have destined for you!!!  Wow, that blew me away.  I then made a vow to the Lord, that in spite of the situation, in spite of the circumstances - He still deserves my HIGHEST PRAISE.  It doesn't matter what we're going through, God doesn't change.

I have come to realize that God allows us to be in certain situations so that He can work on us.  It's not always what we're going through, but God is trying to teach us how to handle (spiritually, not in the flesh) different situations.  I can hear God asking me, "Will you serve me in the dry place?"  My answer is "Yes Lord!"  Somebody has to be strong enough, as many of you have said, to hang in there and let the Lord Minister to us right where we are.  Yes, God will do the separating.

Now, my church is a Baptist Church in Longview, TX and on last Sunday, I announced to the congregation that the Lord had called me into the ministry of evangelism.  WOW, can you believe that I had the courage to make that announcement in a 125 year old Baptist congregatoin?  Well, I explained that God had called me into the ministry several years ago, but in the Church that I was with for 9 1/2 yeaers as Minister of Music, our Mission Mother taught us to WAIT on (PERFECT) your calling, if not, the devil would pounce on you (devour you).  Well, believe it or not the congregation was ACCEPTING, however, the Pastor was not.  Now, what do I do?  Yes, I'm not only praying, I'm fasting too.  But, I must tell you that rejection is tought in the flesh.  And as Children of God, we know that we do not always walk in the spirit.

I really appreciate all of you and the encouragement this web-site is giving me.  Church hurt really hurts.  God bless you all.  

SAXMAN, please write your book!!! The body of Christ really needs it NOW!!!

Offline Saxman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • SAXMAN'S MINISTRY

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2003, 01:50:55 PM »
Glory to God!! Deek, its in the works.  Those daily devotionals you will see in a book very soon.  God is moving.

You got that right Deek.  We must learn to praise Him in our dry places.  We've got to learn to praise Him in the desert.  

If the Lord has told you then that settles it.

You go on and be covered by the blood of Jesus.

Saxman

Offline sweettea

• LGM Member

Obey God
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2003, 01:34:20 PM »
WOW, you guys.  That was cool. Okay, at my church it had been really dead, and the saints was letting the devil stick his head up in everything. But lately our services have been the BOMB and off the chain.  It was because we got tired of letting the devil do his job.  All the glory is to God.  We just got to recognized the devil and his tactics and stop him in his tracks.  Also about you finding a church home.  That's great. All that matters is your soul is getting fed the TRUTH of the word.  And in all things, go the way of God.  Nothing hurts like being hurt from the church but God allows things to make us.  All things work together for the good.  Maybe your pastor wasn't that supportive because it didn't come by him first. But whatever, just follow God and let his will ALWAYS be your will. God bless.

Offline rafman1718

• LGM Member

please pray for my situation
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2003, 11:44:34 PM »
I'm a member of a dying church also. We have some crooked deacons (one of which sings in the choir and is driving the senior choir into the ground). I wish that we could have a music workshop at my church in order to revitalize the music ministry, but certain people in the church and in the choir (the deacon) don't want to change anything. Sometimes this can be very discouraging for me (a young musician) but I just have to pray and tough it out. Fortunately, I don't play for the senior choir, but I play for the youth choir. Some problems need to be worked out in the youth choir as well. I can't wait until I graduate high school this upcoming year and probably leave the church. I would hate to leave the church without an OFF-THE-CHAIN musician. (Just kidding!  :lol: ) But if that's what God calls me to do, I'll be glad to do it. Well, in the meantime, pray my strength in the LORD!
You ask me how I know He lives? He lives within my heart!
Pages: [1]   Go Up