LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Bass or the Amp.....  (Read 4128 times)

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

The Bass or the Amp.....
« on: February 09, 2006, 06:37:10 PM »
I know that they both contribute to the sound but, it seems to me that a "good" amp can make a cheap bass go a loooonnnnggg way.  Do you think this is true???
:)

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My wife is over my right shoulder.
    • my out of church band

The Bass or the Amp.....
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 06:48:07 AM »
true and vise-versa is true.

great chops can make a walmart bass and amp sound great

Offline djgroovin

• LGM Member

The Bass or the Amp.....
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 08:51:25 AM »
I think so.  I had been playing a GSR200 for almost 2 yrs.  As long as the amp is powerful enough the support the venue...

Offline browntree

• LGM Member
  • www.reverbnation.com/btree

The Bass or the Amp.....
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 11:43:04 AM »
a good amp will do wonders... and throw some new strings on that bass and you'll sound like a star...

Offline Pajarita

• LGM Member

The Bass or the Amp.....
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 11:58:36 PM »
Quote from: browntree
a good amp will do wonders... and throw some new strings on that bass and you'll sound like a star...

I can definitely see this as the truth.  Just like putting a new engine in a car.   :roll:  Just an analogy.  

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

The Bass or the Amp.....
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 01:04:19 AM »
Yeah I tweaked the EQ on the amp Im using and my 4 sounded like a new bass. Only I also put it in the high end too to get more highs.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

The Bass or the Amp.....
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2006, 08:09:34 AM »
Look at it this way.....

If you own the world's fastest Corvette, but can only drive it down crowded city streets, you can only go so fast.  Same thing with a great bass and a cruddy amp.  You'll never tap the potential of the bass.

But, if you're driving your hoopty on the highway, you can stomp on it all you want.  You're gonna get more noise than speed.  You'll be able to maximize the limitations of your ride (our bass) but it'll only perform up to a point.

You don't need the super fast Corvette, but you do want to have something that's suitable for the highway, if you get my drift.

Now, do I need to get into the skill of the driver / bassist?  :wink:

Peace,

James
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

The Bass or the Amp.....
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2006, 08:13:47 AM »
Browntree,

If you follow my Corvette on city streets / hoopty on the highway analogy, new strings would be like new tires.  Or even like Pajarita said, a new engine (or at least a tune-up  :wink: )

Peace,

James
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline mr_layback

• LGM Member

The Bass or the Amp.....
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2006, 10:21:41 AM »
throw some new strings on that bass and you'll sound like a star...

Try some good, name brand strings (elixr, ernie ball).  Also try different string guages.

With amps and basses, you get out what you put in.
Perfect Practice Makes Perfect!

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

The Bass or the Amp.....
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2006, 10:42:33 PM »
I thought noise came from bad grounding in your bass electronics. I would think that could be solved from grounding it better. Someone educate me.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline BtCustom

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://

the amp is a start
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2006, 11:50:02 PM »
A good amp is the start. A good amp makes the differance. I have a swr sm-900 and Andrew Gouche showed me how to set it perfectly and I leave my settings alone and any bass i put in will sound good. The second thing is the bass. Great sounding basses are getting lower priced and they sound really good. The 3rd thing are stings. The best bass strings in my opinion are Dean Markley Sr2000 Blue Steels, Ken Smith, and MArcus Miller DRS. I prefer Med light to light gauge strings and they sound great on my Ken Smith.

But it takes time to get these things so what ever you can get have fun.

Offline bradleymoorer

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Bringing da bass in Jesus name!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/minbrad

The Bass or the Amp.....
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2006, 01:50:50 PM »
ok...... so what are the settings.....don't be stingy!! :lol:
Bradley AKA Bass Monkey

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My wife is over my right shoulder.
    • my out of church band

The Bass or the Amp.....
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2006, 02:38:21 PM »
Quote from: bradleymoorer
ok...... so what are the settings.....don't be stingy!! :lol:

I was thinking this very thing, but I know pletny of people that are stingy with their settings

Offline XtromatriX

• LGM Member

The Bass or the Amp.....
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2006, 11:14:53 PM »
I know it's true... At home play through an Ibanez SW100 that has a 15 and a tweeter. and at Church I play through a smaller Peavey keyboard amp that I actually like the sound and tone of much better. The Speaker in the Ibanez can handle up to 300 wats and it's currently only using 100 wats because I'm just using it the way it came as a combo. But I think if I was to get a better amp head and use it with the current speaker system I could get a much better sound.

Offline kmac04

• LGM Member

The Bass or the Amp.....
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2006, 03:06:19 PM »
I'd take either or, as long as u can eq properly

Offline Jellitoe

• LGM Member

The Bass or the Amp.....
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2006, 09:43:54 AM »
This is completely true. A cheap amp take take a $2k bass and make it sound like a $150 bass. Example I have a 6 string Carvin bass and when I plug it to my churches hartke, its sounds pretty bad, the bass amp cant handle the B string. sounds muffled and the C string looses its brilliance and sounds very dull. slapping is a mistake to even try. Now when I play on my own amp that is a peavey amp with a tweeter for the highs its sounds great. Even my makeshift fender jazz bass sounds good for slapping and it has EMG pickups installed with are usually frowned on for slapping. I rather slap on my fender (cheap Bass) on a good amp then on my carvin (exp bass) on a cheap amp. The amp is more essential to the sound than the bass itself.

Offline corbro007

• LGM Member

The Bass or the Amp.....
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2006, 11:31:07 AM »
A cheap bass will sound good on a expensive amp, it wouldn't be the best but it will sound better than a expensive bass on a cheap amp.  But a good preamp will make a cheap bass sound good on a cheap amp.  I was using a squire bass when I first started gigging on a PA mixer and a 15" mackie speaker it was awful, but that was all I could afford at the time but I went out and bought me a aguilar 924 preamp..... and it made both my amp and bass sound like a professional rig.  It turned my passive bass into an active sounding axe!!!

Offline BtCustom

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://

The Bass or the Amp.....
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2006, 11:53:53 AM »
the setting  for the sm900 gouche set for me. Ok you only use 1 of the eqs I use the top. Bass and Aural enhancement are set to about the 11 oclok position and the eqs are set like this. The first doublestack nob for the low are both set at almost 12oclock. the mids doublestack inside nob is turn all the way off and the outside nob is turned all the way on. The highs doublestack inside and outside nob are turned all the way on.  You can leave the Treble at the 12oclock position. Crossover, Effects and all the nobs on the right side of the eq should be kept at 12oclock except the master volume.

So there you have it. These settings make my Smith sing and any bass I put is sound pretty good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up