LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need advice.....Looking for my first job!!!  (Read 567 times)

Offline theLearner

• LGM Member
  • Play, don't play around

Need advice.....Looking for my first job!!!
« on: February 11, 2006, 10:45:43 PM »
Wusup folk,
I'm tryina get a job playin for someone and im getting hooked up by a friend to play with someone else who is looking for a drummer....is there anything that i should keep in mind before this first paying drumming job??
Also How much do mediocre drummers usually get paid???
I have being playing for 2 yrs. (haven't been practicing with a good band or anything but I can hold down a job playing for a choir) So i have been basically solo all my life learning what i can from different people and places...

thanks

Offline hendoo

• LGM Member

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 11:41:12 AM »
CONGRATS, FIRST & FOREMOST , LISTEN & FOLLOW THE BAND DIRECTOR  OR DIRECTOR, LAY DOWN A FIRM POCKET, YOU CAN ALWAYS GET FIRED FASTER THAN YOU WERE HIRED, GET WITH LOCAL MUSICIANS & LEARN HOW TO PLAY WITH A BAND, IN YOUR SPARE TIME GET A METRONOME, THIS WILL GET YOUR TIMING LOCKED DOWN GOOD, & LASTLY NEVER WORRY ABOUT $$$$$$$  ALOT OF MUSICIANS GET CAUGHT UP WITH TIHS ONE, IT'S YOUR FIRST GIG,$$$$$ WILL COME FOCUS ON YOUR CRAFT.

Offline theLearner

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 11:54:43 PM »
SabianKnight
I know you got a lot of knowledge and experience...is there anything I should keep in mind as i kick off my drumming career...

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 12:11:16 AM »
Quote from: theLearner
SabianKnight
I know you got a lot of knowledge and experience...is there anything I should keep in mind as i kick off my drumming career...

Be professional.
Get the set list in advance if you can.
Try and get a recording of the music and learn it a s best you can.

Show up early and setup your kit (hopefully in drum cases) tune you kit to the room.

Make sure you get a good monitor feed. If you don't, don't complain Keep your eyes on the MD and vocalist and the bass player (A good bass player will save you... lock in and follow him if you get lost)

Stay out of the vocalist's/melody's way.... play with dynamics. Pay attention to the vibe... the spirit of the songs and the room (crowd). Don't play you, play the music. You will get yourself fired the music will get you hired repeatedly.

Do not miss a count off... pay attention. Eyes and ears open. There is an old Rolling Stones song that says "Time is On My(Your) Side...", in this case take that to mean that playing time and locking the groove is what will keep you playing gigs.

Be humble or get humbled... even if things go wrong keep a good attitude and a smile on your face. Do not complain.

Thank everyone for the playing experience. Tell them you would be interseted in playing with them again. See if you can set up some side time with the MD and bass player. They get drummers hired.

Get you some business cards... it is so tacky to struggle for a pen while networking. Keep cards in your car, in your stick bag, in you wallet.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline theLearner

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 01:20:09 AM »
thanks a lot....
I really appreciate it guys...

Pages: [1]   Go Up