LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Singing w/o rehearsal, is it right?  (Read 3014 times)

Offline KingEarl

• LGM Member
    • http://

Singing w/o rehearsal, is it right?
« on: January 13, 2006, 02:37:30 PM »
Last year at my church we had a disagreement on whether or not it was right for choir members who have missed that week's rehearsal to still sing with the choir on Sunday. I could understand maybe if we were singing the same songs each Sunday, but we are not. I made the decision that in order to sing with the choir on Sunday, you must come to practice.  Then some of the members came at me with saying, if the Sprirt tells them to get up there and sing thats what they will do.  For the most part, most members respect and abide by my decision, but there are a few who miss rehearsal intentionally.

Do you think it is fine to allow choir members to sing on Sunday without rehearsal even if they know the songs?

Offline expectations

• LGM Member

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 03:22:53 PM »
In our choir this is what we do.  We have choir practice on Saturdays it's set in stone unless we need to change it.  Everyone knows when it is. We spoke with the Pastor first to make sure we were in agreement we decided Unless you are scheduled to work one your job on the dates of our choir rehearsal  you do not sing that Sunday or at any program until there is another practice.  So if your missing choir practice to go shopping, taking a break, or going out of town  (anything but workig on your job) You are not siniging in the chor.  Even now some of the members that do have to work on Saturdays will not get in the choir.  They said that it stills fills different not being at a practice.  You have to stick to it.  And for those that are "spirit led"to get in the choir anyway. In MY opinion that's when you or the MOM needs to tell them it's not accepted.  I've had to do it before.  But if the members see that it's not going to be allowed they shape up or ship out.

Another thing that I expereinced:  We had a program and my strong altoes where not at practice for some reason.  My other altoes had to step up and sing with out them (They opened thier mouths and let
God use them).  So it also lets them know that strong singer or not we may need you in the choir to help with a song but you must come to practice.  

I hope this helps you.
Rejoice in the Lord always, Again I say rejoice !!

Offline jazzfingers

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 03:27:06 PM »
MY VIEW IS THAT I AGREE. CHOIR MEMBERS WHO MISS REHEARSAL SHOULD NOT BE UP SINGING EVEN IF THEY KNOW THE SONG. BECAUSE THERE MAYBE LAST MINUTE CHANGES TO THE SONG OR REPEAT VERSES. COMING TO REHEARSAL IS SHOULD DISCIPLINE , DEDICATION,AND FAITHFULNESS. ALSO CHOIR MEMBERS MUST RESPECT THE MUSICIAN(MINISTER OF MUSIC) OR WHO EVER IS IN CHARGE OF REHEARSAL. MUSICIAN(MINISTER OF MUSIC) MUST RESPECT CHOIR MEMBERS AS WELL. NO IF YOU HAVE THOSE CHOIR WHO MISS INTENTIONALLY AND DO THING OUT OF SPITE THEN THEY NEED TO CATCH A SEAT IN THE AUDIENCE!!!!!!!!!! THOSE TYPE OF BAD SPIRITS NEED NOT BE UP MINISTER TO ANYONE. INSTEAD THEY NEED TO BE MINISTERED TO. ONE WAY TO HANDLE THAT SITUATION IS TO HAVE A TALK WITH THE PASTOR. EXPLAIN THE SITUATION TO HIM. THEN THE PASTOR,MINISTER OF MUSIC AND CHOIR MEMBER NEEDS TO HAVE A MEETING ABOUT THEIR BEHAVIOR. I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DEALING WITH BEEN THERE BEFORE NOT GOOD THING TO HAVE TO DEAL WITH.
ALSO MOST IMPORTANT PRAY FIRST BEFORE DOING OR SAYING ANYTHING. JESUS ALREADY KNOWS BUT TAKE IT TO HIM 1ST AND HE WILL WORK IT OUT.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 06:56:58 PM »
I agree with everything that everyone is saying. Just one more point of clarification. The people who are trying to say that "If God tells me to sing, I'm going to sing" are being rebellious plain and simple. If you are not the MOM, then take it to him, have him/her pray about it the situation (as to how to tell the people that they are being rebellious and God is a God of order).

People will only do what you allow them to get away with. Stick to your principles and as someone has stated they'll shape up or ship out.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline Soul_Flower

• LGM Member
  • Sweet As A Rose!!

Re: Singing w/o rehearsal, is it right?
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 11:15:05 PM »
Quote from: KingEarl
Last year at my church we had a disagreement on whether or not it was right for choir members who have missed that week's rehearsal to still sing with the choir on Sunday. I could understand maybe if we were singing the same songs each Sunday, but we are not. I made the decision that in order to sing with the choir on Sunday, you must come to practice.  Then some of the members came at me with saying, if the Sprirt tells them to get up there and sing thats what they will do.  For the most part, most members respect and abide by my decision, but there are a few who miss rehearsal intentionally.

Do you think it is fine to allow choir members to sing on Sunday without rehearsal even if they know the songs?

In our choir, we don't trip on that.  If we are singing old songs that everyone knows, it's cool.  We just have the tape ministry present to record the entire rehearsal so those who aren't able to make it can get a tape and listen to it.  Now if we have learned new music and will be singing it on that Sunday, then yes, you must be present at rehearsal in order to be able to sing on that day.

But, that is in our choir.  Yours on the other hand is different.  In my opinion, since you are over the choir, the rules must be followed.  And it is wrong for the other members not to follow leadership.  I feel you should go to your pastor about this and then have him or her personally head a meeting with the choir.  If after that things don't change, then whoever is still not acting right needs to be dealt with accordingly.  But, that's just how I feel about it.  I hope everything gets straightened out.  God Bless.

Smooches!!!  8)
If you take the time to smell the roses,
life will be much more sweeter.  Smooches!!

Offline HeartToServe

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 01:46:13 AM »
Ministering as a group (in song or otherwise) is all about being on one accord.  Although preferable to have every participant at rehearsal, sometimes situations  (particularly those unavoiadable ones) may dictate differently.  If you are the decision maker regarding this, be lead by the holy spirit.  Let the holy spirit lead you with regards to how he wants to use that (those) persons in the service of HIS ministry while also keeping in mind that He is a God of decency and order (1 Chronicles 15).  Let your decisions be based on what the Lord is telling you He wants to accomplish.

Offline BroAllan

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Singing w/o rehearsel, is it wrong?
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 05:11:51 AM »
Hey KingEarl!  A lot of good input has been shared.  I would like to offer
2 things ...  

1)  We must all submit to the leadership we are under, music ministry     members included...

2)  A true worshiper is able to worship on either side of the microphone, from
     the congregational side as well as the worship team side...  

"As you take a stand in the battle, He will bring you through
                      victoriously!"   ...  BroAllan

Offline LyricTenor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Not ONE Muslim joke!! >:-(

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 11:14:26 AM »
Personally, I'm in total agreement.  I've sang with numerous choirs and various churches and I too feel that if you're not at rehearsal, don't sing.  I've taken upon myself to remain seated when the choir gets up if I wasn't at rehearsal.  Can you believe that I've been reprimanded EVERY time for doing that!!!!  It's usually 'You are the strongest Tenor we have.  We need you.'  I never let that get to me, although I always get up there and sing anyway.  Weird right?  Just because I'm a strong singer doesn't mean that the choir can't function without me.  Really.

Offline expectations

• LGM Member

Re: Singing w/o rehearsel, is it wrong?
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 03:30:53 PM »
Quote from: BroAllan

2)  A true worshiper is able to worship on either side of the microphone, from
     the congregational side as well as the worship team side...  

I agree with you totally!!!   :D I must use this quote for our choirs and congregation!!!! Thanks a lot!!!
Rejoice in the Lord always, Again I say rejoice !!

Offline Mellie22

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 03:12:10 PM »
For me personally i would not feel comfortable singing on the choir on the Sunday, knowing that i have not attended choir practice. But i have my reasons why i have not attended. But i would still go up anyways because thats my ministry and i do take it seriously in that matter. I would tell the choir leader/director for what ever reason i am not able to attend choir practice and ask her to tell me the songs they will be singing etc. she would ask me if i know the song or not and tell me if i dont know the song i dont go up there. wether or not i miss a practice i will still sing because i take it seriously and its my ministry and what i love to do.

As for individuals who intentionally miss choir practice, without a legit reason it just shows that they are not serious about it. they should as least take the initiative to make effort to make choir practice. Its not right that everytime they miss choir practice they throw off the choir because they dont know the note. its their responsibility. but on the other hand if they feel comfortable with that with no conscience then the directors should speak to them about it. or make mention to them about it. because it just shows lack of commitment

Offline idoobiedub

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2006, 12:53:23 PM »
In our choir, we've had to come to an agreement like this:

1.  If you can't attend rehearsal, let someone know about it.

2.  Make sure you get a copy of the rehearsal tape if you miss that specific rehearsal.

3.  You do not sing if you have missed at least 2 rehearsals unless you have been ok'd by the minister of music or director.  

4.  If the spirit leads you to want to sing with the choir and you have missed at least 3 or more rehearsals, then you can sing with the choir from your seat in the congregation.

There have been to many situations were a member either missed too many rehearsals or didn't bother to listen to their tapes and they get up there to sing not knowing what they are singing.  And some have the nerve to just stand there and not even move their lips if they don't know the song and then get an attitude with the director for singing that song when they didn't know it.  They make it seem like it's the directors fault that they looked silly up there because they didn't know the words.  I agree with the term God is a God of order.  The scripture says "Make a joyful noise", it didn't say make any kind of noise.
"And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."  Gal. 6:9

Offline depondrums

• LGM Member
  • GOD IS THE ONE AND ONLY JUDGE........

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2006, 10:40:43 PM »
MY VIEW IS THAT I AGREE. CHOIR MEMBERS WHO MISS REHEARSAL SHOULD NOT BE UP SINGING EVEN IF THEY KNOW THE SONG. BECAUSE THERE MAYBE LAST MINUTE CHANGES TO THE SONG OR REPEAT VERSES. COMING TO REHEARSAL IS SHOULD DISCIPLINE , DEDICATION,AND FAITHFULNESS. ALSO CHOIR MEMBERS MUST RESPECT THE MUSICIAN(MINISTER OF MUSIC) OR WHO EVER IS IN CHARGE OF REHEARSAL. MUSICIAN(MINISTER OF MUSIC) MUST RESPECT CHOIR MEMBERS AS WELL. NO IF YOU HAVE THOSE CHOIR WHO MISS INTENTIONALLY AND DO THING OUT OF SPITE THEN THEY NEED TO CATCH A SEAT IN THE AUDIENCE!!!!!!!!!! THOSE TYPE OF BAD SPIRITS NEED NOT BE UP MINISTER TO ANYONE. INSTEAD THEY NEED TO BE MINISTERED TO. ONE WAY TO HANDLE THAT SITUATION IS TO HAVE A TALK WITH THE PASTOR. EXPLAIN THE SITUATION TO HIM. THEN THE PASTOR,MINISTER OF MUSIC AND CHOIR MEMBER NEEDS TO HAVE A MEETING ABOUT THEIR BEHAVIOR. I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DEALING WITH BEEN THERE BEFORE NOT GOOD THING TO HAVE TO DEAL WITH.
ALSO MOST IMPORTANT PRAY FIRST BEFORE DOING OR SAYING ANYTHING. JESUS ALREADY KNOWS BUT TAKE IT TO HIM 1ST AND HE WILL WORK IT OUT.

I completely agree with this.  The choir should be together in all parts of the choir ministry, whether it's rehearsal, business meetings, "DUES" etc......
I PLAY TO THE GLORY OF GOD........

Offline allonesound

• LGM Member
  • In God... *Im~So~AmAyZeN*

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2006, 03:37:46 PM »
Well if you are choir, musician, preacher ect you should be ready at all times no matter what. I know several times we got up to sing one song and ended up doing something different, and people were blessed. you have to go with the spirit. Rehearsals are good to go over songs and learn new ones, and prepare for sunday worship or whenever you are singing. I thing when you are called on and get before the people you have to be ready anyways so let the Lord use you!
To get something I've never had.... I have to do something I've never done. *Salvation will pay off*

Offline MODERN_DRUMMER

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2006, 10:48:40 PM »
Well if you are choir, musician, preacher ect you should be ready at all times no matter what. I know several times we got up to sing one song and ended up doing something different, and people were blessed. you have to go with the spirit. Rehearsals are good to go over songs and learn new ones, and prepare for sunday worship or whenever you are singing. I thing when you are called on and get before the people you have to be ready anyways so let the Lord use you!

i agree!
Pages: [1]   Go Up