LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Let someone use your bass  (Read 6132 times)

Offline BassMan2000

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Bass Guitar

Let someone use your bass
« on: February 20, 2006, 10:27:22 AM »
Have played at a Church and someone ask if they could use your bass?

What did you do?

I never let anyone use my Bass and I have no problem about it.
I play a six string and I leave my backup 5 string in my trunk.

My pastor
Dwight Thomas
Georgia

Offline djgroovin

• LGM Member

Re: Let someone use your bass
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 10:37:49 AM »
No Way!  Especially if I don't know you.

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 10:40:24 AM »
I let one of the bass players at church use my bass when I first got it. I wanted to hear how it sounded in capable hands but I was nervous when he was holding it. people have the tendency to bump your bass up against something for some reason. My 4 string has a few knicks. One thing I hate to when you have your bass on your back and walk through a door with a low over hang. Ouch. I guess thats what hard cases are for. Im supirsed you keep your bass in your trunk. I was told that you should not do that because it will warp the neck if its too hot or too cold. Also someone told me to store my bass with the strings down like on a flat surface. I have forgot and left my 4 string in the car but I avoid doing that with my 6 string.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 10:42:04 AM »
It is kinda like to when someone from a visiting church plays your keyboard or drums and you dont know how hard they are going to play.

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My wife is over my right shoulder.
    • my out of church band

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 10:49:16 AM »
I'd be glad to let anyone play my bass. To me it's just a thing it's an object that can be replaced. I can always get it fixed or buy a new one.

My life is about HIM not the things I have.

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 10:55:57 AM »
In the pass, I never had a problem let anyone borrow anytning I had (I think its because when I was growing up, I didn't have anything and I told myself when I grow up and get stuff, I will share it with anyone).

But there was something Ladybass said a while ago about dedicating your instruments to God and you shouldn't just let anyone touch them has got me thinking about this again.
:)

Offline rapunzel

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 11:07:54 AM »
As in take my bass home or just use it during a church service?

Take it home--absolutely not a chance of it--that's my baby! ;)

During a church service--Depends on who it is.  I know I don't like to borrow someone else's bass.

The other night at church, I wasn't expecting to play the bass so I didn't take mine, and I had to play a song.  So I borrowed someone else's bass.  Well, the strap came loose, and I almost dropped it. :o  I was so embarrassed, :-[ but the guy whose bass I was playing said it happens all the time and he needs to get it fixed, but I still felt really bad.
...Play skilfully with a loud noise. Psalms 33:3

Offline H2_Ro56

• LGM Member
  • Back in da day, there was...East Wind.
    • H2Ro Studios

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 12:59:45 PM »
I was never one for allowing anyone to use my bass let alone play it.

Recently, I've been working with a young drummer in my church and he's been interested
in the bass.  I have a 5 string Peavey which is my very first since 1990...I call her "Pearl".  I
allow him to use it whenever necessary.

I've acquired several basses in the past year and a half and greatly considered leaving something
behind when my time comes.  I would like to "teach someone to fish" for once.
From His gifts comes my praise.

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 03:02:49 PM »
I think a problem to with lending your stuff is that people will not take care of it like you would. I have let people borrow my keyboard then find out its sitting in their car trunk at below freezing. You know electronics dont go good witht he cold. I also let someone use my other keyboard the other week. When I got it back the adapter was missing. Now Ive got to talk to the guy to find out where the adpater is. I think you may think a little different if you have the money to go out and buy something else but when you dont and if something happens and you cant replace it you have a problem on your hands.

Offline FemalePrazzer

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006, 03:51:27 PM »
Never............. You can still be a Christian and say NO that's what Music Stores or for. Would you let someone drive your car?  I'm not materialistic by no means- But I am responsible with what the Lord has blessed me with. I let someone play my Ax and he went slap silly with his LONG fingernails - I spent $175.00 on a  buff and rub to remove all the scratches- So I learned the hard way. I know will go the extra yard to provide a local Music Store that carries the same bass. I have found people to respect my response and thank me for directing them to purchasing- I find it amusing most people who ask to play it are not even bass players :)

Jesus Loves Worships

FP

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My wife is over my right shoulder.
    • my out of church band

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2006, 04:23:20 PM »
My being generious with my belongings have nothing to do with being able to afford it. I can't I could not afford to buy the 3 basses that I own now, it's just money and the only time money is important to me is my tithe. GOD has blessed me with 3 basses so I feel as if I should do so.

I can't ake anything with me.

Offline MinBrad

• LGM Member
  • Jesus loves to hear the sound of praise!

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2006, 04:50:57 PM »
sure, just sign here...and here...once again here...and last time here. now intial here, and here and here, now I will need a urine sample and proof of insurance and 10 references, and then maybe you can use it but only with me present, peace!
Jesus loves to hear the sound of praise!

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2006, 05:27:10 PM »
For most of the people I know, I don't have problem with them using my basses; I'd even let them take it home, but I wouldn't let some random dude do this. I wouldn't even let Spiritfingers nor Mysteryman play them!

;D

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2006, 06:11:53 PM »
I will let almost anybody play any one of my basses, as long as I am within several feet of them.

I will let a decent number of people play any except a couple of my most treasured basses if I'm in the room with them.

I have more fingers than I need to count the number of people I'd allow to take any of my basses home with them.  Everything's relative (and you don't wanna meet my relatives.....bad joke ;) ;D). 

My basses are tools to accomplish what it is that I do.  It is up to me to determine whom I will allow to handle my tools and under what circumstances.

It is up to them to instill in me the trust that they will respect my tools enough to earn the privilege to use them.

Peace,

James
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2006, 07:43:40 PM »
No, no, no, no, no, no, no!!!!!!!!!!  For the record, I am a guitar player but let me share my experince with you.  The Deluxe Active Jazz Bass V that I currently own is my second.  A few years ago, this dude who I used to go to church with AND has played bass and drums with me in the Church's band asked if he could borrow my bass until he got his fixed.  I said yes, but that I would need it back by the end of that week.  No problem...everything worked out fine.  I had no reason not to trust him as I basicaly knew the guy and his family.  Well the following week he asked again if he could use it and that was the last time I saw that bass.  Yea, I was a little upset about that.  I have forgiven him, but needless to say that I will never loan him anything ever again.  I have not seen him in years either and I do not consider him to be a friend.  He is only my "brother" in Christ, and let's leave it at that.
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline BassMan2000

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Bass Guitar

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2006, 09:46:59 PM »
My point is if you're a musician you should have your own gear.  I wash my hands before I play to remove dirt or whatever are on them, I wipe it down after I play. I take care of my basses. I played at a church once were in-between services we left our gear out.
When I came back someone was banging away and before that it was knocked on the floor. Now after a service I put it back in the hard case.

My pastor does not see the big deal, because it's just a bass, but if someone got his mic, we get lectured.

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2006, 11:55:18 PM »
LOL...Tragic!

*pulling the rusty, bent, screwdriver out of your chest*

*putting some peroxide and gauze on the wound*

*saying take 1 Percocet and call me in the morning*

That's a hard one to forget...but you WILL definately see that dude again. I just pray that everything be cordial!

LOL

*gross*

Offline wolldav

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2006, 03:10:31 AM »
I've let one person play my bass (a very good friend) at a play.  he treated her as if it was his own.  I would only let someone use my bass if i really know them very well and if they can afford to replace it if something happens when she's in there care. hear me when i say "replace it", not fix it. 

Offline ladybass

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My Bass Grooves

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2006, 07:54:29 AM »
I wouldn't even let Spiritfingers nor Mysteryman play them!

;D

uh oh ...  ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline mr_layback

• LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2006, 04:15:22 PM »
sure, just sign here...and here...once again here...and last time here. now intial here, and here and here, now I will need a urine sample and proof of insurance and 10 references, and then maybe you can use it but only with me present, peace!

LOL! Right! :D
Perfect Practice Makes Perfect!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up