LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Let someone use your bass  (Read 6133 times)

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

Re: Let someone use your bass
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2006, 04:33:04 PM »
uh oh ...  ;D  ;D  ;D

I decided to let him slide on that one. I can always get a ninja to go to his house and pick the bass up for me. :D
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline Groovesmith

• LGM Member
  • Daddy and his little blessing from God.

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2006, 06:54:39 PM »
Theres only few people that I would let use my bass and thats in front of me and only one person that I would lend it to thats my cousin who got me started he will treat her like his own and I know he's got the money to replace
Groovesmith

Offline mr.dj

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Coko and Mae

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2006, 12:26:45 PM »
No, not any more I let a person(a really good bassist better than I) see my bass and I walked off about 5 miniutes later this person had his own bass out playing and mine laying on the ground strings down, and come to find out he actually let it fall like that and my bass stand was right beside my rig.  So nope not any more.
"Even when you're justified, be dignified."  Cornel West

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2006, 03:36:25 PM »
I guess if I get a exspensive bass one day I will just take the strap off and let them hold it that way I know it will not fall off their neck.LOL
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2006, 04:55:45 PM »
Depends on what they wanna use it fo'... ;D

I have seen some basses that straight up turned me into Chris Tucker from "Money Talks"

"Man that's beautiful, let me borrow it.... nah I'm just playin.... UNLESS you gone let me borrow it!" :-\

Offline pricelessmax

• LGM Member

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2006, 10:28:17 PM »
I have to know and trust the person really good in order to use my axe,but i would exspect the same if i needed to use your axe.

Offline Bullitt

• LGM Member

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2006, 02:52:47 AM »
If I trusted the person asking to borrow/use it then yes, I would let them.  God gave us enough common sense to know if someone is going to take care of our belongings as though they were their own....however, I'm a lefty so I've never had anyone asking to borrow my bass  ;)

God Bless,
-J

Offline Jmack

• LGM Member

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2006, 08:50:39 AM »
I have let people borrow my bass in church service.   When we have visiting churches and they have musicians, but for one reason or another, they don't have intsruments, then we let them use ours to accompany their church.  I love my bass just as much as the next person, but when it comes down to it, it's just material.  Besides, it's not like it's a rock n roll concert and they're gonna smash it up after they get through with it.  ;D  No offense to and rock n rollers. ;)
"Make a joyful noise unto the world"

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2006, 11:58:47 AM »
Last night I went to a get together of about a dozen or so bassists.  Some of whom I'd met before and others I had not.  I started another thread on that, so check it out if you get the chance.

The point that applies to THIS thread, is that we all just brought our basses in, laid them down wherever there was room, and everybody picked up and played whatever they felt like playing.  It was a different kind of a fellowship, but a fellowship just the same.

And even though there were varying degrees of "talent" and "styles" in the room, it never truned into a chops-fest or a competition.  Here's the list of basses I remember seeing there.  There's an even longer list of amps, preamps, and cabinets.  The basses with  (James') behind them are the ones I took there from my collection.

Alembic Series I (James')
Rob Allen MB2 fretless 5 (Ken')
Celinder J-Update 5 (Ken's)
Curbow American Petite 5
DeArmond Pilot 5 Deluxe (w/ upgraded electronics)
Dean 8-string (Chris')
Epiphone EA-260 semi-hollobody shortscale
Fender Jazz (1973)
Fender Jazz with flats (Tim O's)
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz (w/ J-Retro; Chris')
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz (Steve's, formerly Tim's)
Fender Marcu Miller Jazz (Dan's)
Fodera Emperor Deluxe 5
G&L ASAT (Chris')
Gibson Explorer
Gibson Thunderbird IV
Hanewinckel Ceres Artist (James')
Hoyt Custom 4 (jmb7183's)
Jerzy Drozd Excelleny V
Lakland Skyline Darryl Jones 4 (two on Friday night; one is Pat's)
Lotus 4-string (my first bass!)
Marchlewski 5 (James')
MTD 435
MTD 535 (Vic's)
MTD Custom 535 - chambered prototype (two; Marilyn #3 and Vic's Marilyn #8)
Music Man Bongo (James')
Music Man Stingray (Pat's; double humbucker)
Reverend Rumblefish (Chris') a 4 string & a 5 string
Rickenbacker 4001 (Chris')
Roscoe LG-3005 (Vic's)
Sadowsky 25th Anniversary 24-fret 5-string
Sadowsky MV5 NYC (Steve's)
Skjold Custom 5
Skjold Exotic Custom 4
Skjold Stage 4
Tobias (pre-Gibson) Basic 5, # 766 - Jimmy Haslip model
Tobias (post-Gibson, Burbank) Basic 5, # 1353
Tobias (pre-Gibson) Classic 5, # 601

Peace,

James
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2006, 12:39:46 PM »
As my Dad would say "Nache" No way! I tune a full step down, so your b string is an a for me. And you get people who want to always tune it back up! I have my basses set up that way, so I always say you play it the way it is or no!
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!

Offline sonofabass

• LGM Member

« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2006, 08:49:06 PM »
lol...no....no...no... wow....no

Offline soldieranointed

• LGM Member

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2006, 01:39:32 AM »
I don't own a bass, but if I did, I would imagine that I would trust someone who is capable of playing my bass to play it.  Of course, if a total stranger walks into the sanctuary and asks to use it then I would end find a way to let the person down easy.  If someone accidently left there's or something, then I would prolly let them use it.

At my church, we treat guest musicians as if they are at home.  We get off the instruments and let them play throughout the whole service.  Its our way of saying our home is your home.  I've only been playing for roughly 4 years, but my mentor for the keys has taught me a lot, and that's one of the things I will always remember.  :)
Much Luv!  Sista Starra

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2006, 11:50:21 AM »
This topic will take an interesting turn for me on March 12th.  My Praise Band has been asked to accompany our pastor to an event at another church that afternoon.  What will make it interesting is, I'm not certain of what their PA System / drum setup is.  Our drummer plays an electronic kit through our PA System.  I'm assuming that he will need to play whatever setup they have at the other church.

Bass won't be an issue.  I'll be bringin' my own and can go straight cab or through a PA, but hopefully that church's drummer won't have any issue with someone else playing his kit.

Peace,

James
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline soldieranointed

• LGM Member

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2006, 12:25:16 PM »
lol, that would be messed up if they did  :D
Much Luv!  Sista Starra

Offline Willie L. Terry Jr

• LGM Member

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2006, 07:55:19 PM »
I was trying to avoid this topic like the plague but B3 sucked me in..."I wouldn't even let SpiritFingers" use my bass.  Oh really...that's strange seeing is how I should have the pink slips on all your basses after last Bassoff!  Oh no he didn't! ;D

Back on topic though.  I don't normally quote Madea but I feel that it's appropriate!  Not no but...(yall know the rest).

Dude if you don't have your own bass, then that tells me one thing.  You're not serious!  So why would I give you my bass.  Do you let someone borrow your wife?  I don't think so.  Now I have a few basses and I would like someone pluck on my old Fender Jazz Five that I don't play much.  But my main basses...I don't think so...  First of all, only I can break my own strings.  Second, only I can adjust my settings.  Third of all, if you are that serious, meet me at the music store and we'll pick you out a bass.  I might even help you pay for it, if you're that serious.

B3 said take it home...Oh my God, I'm about to have a cow!  Take it home!  Are you kidding... Take it home.  I play Ibanez...ain't like I'm like Wolldav and got a Ken Smith black tiger.  If I had his bass and somebody asked me to play it, I would lose my salvation.  Yall might here me curse at church.  I'd be like "negro, if you don't get yo old %$#$ out my face I will have to #$$%$$. ;D  Just kidding...but I still wouldn't let them use it.

Yall be cool

T.J.
Psalms 144:1  Blessed be the Lord my rock who teaches my hands to war and my FINGAZ to fight!

Offline The Dojz

• LGM Member
  • Layin down tracks for the Lord 24/7
    • www.Facebook.com/thedojz

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2006, 08:35:41 AM »
This topic will take an interesting turn for me on March 12th.  My Praise Band has been asked to accompany our pastor to an event at another church that afternoon.  What will make it interesting is, I'm not certain of what their PA System / drum setup is.  Our drummer plays an electronic kit through our PA System.  I'm assuming that he will need to play whatever setup they have at the other church.

Bass won't be an issue.  I'll be bringin' my own and can go straight cab or through a PA, but hopefully that church's drummer won't have any issue with someone else playing his kit.

Peace,

James

Sad but true, I see that happen with lots of drummers at church.  Turnin toms all crooked, and re-arranging the set.  Just like my bass, I've let only 1 person ever borrow my bass and take it home (But we play in a band together so he knows the deal).  But I have let some cats play it with me around and the first thing they try to do is re-tune it!:o  I'm like: "I'm tuned to the organist at my church!, dont be messing up my tuning for no reason!" is what I tell them As I shake my fist >:(  and gently snatch my bass back! ;D
Thank you and may God bless you,
   The Dojz

Offline corbro007

• LGM Member

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2006, 02:28:43 PM »
I never let anyone even my own mother take my bass home with them.  Now if someone I trust wants to try it out for like 5 minutes or less then I would watch their every move like a hawk in the sky spying down preying on its rodent dinner for the evening, until the person gets tired of me staring a hole through them and stalking every position they place the bass in.  I become a lunatic when hands other than mine are on my bass. 

Offline Willie L. Terry Jr

• LGM Member

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2006, 04:37:25 PM »
-DITO- last two posts.  Brotha yall are on it.  The people could just go in the temple and start playing with the sacraments in the Old Testament.  The articles of the tabernacle were for the priest.  There has been much fustration, late nights practicing and some person that you know ain't one bit interested in learning bass comes up and picks up you bass like a lead guitar and starts strumming >:(  Brotha you talking about getting my Irish up...and I'm black!

T.J.
Psalms 144:1  Blessed be the Lord my rock who teaches my hands to war and my FINGAZ to fight!

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2006, 09:08:04 AM »
My bass is mine. The only person that can play my bass is my son.  That will be a while though cuz he's only 5 months, but I don't let anyone play my babies.  Plus they are named after my wife so it's like sharing her and that's never gonna happen. ;D
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline NoelII

• LGM Member
    • http://www.kevinsharpe.net

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2006, 06:52:48 AM »
At my studio I had some guys over and I let one use my 4 string during the session.  This guy who didn't bring his own axe funked up my bass! I mean when I picked it up it felt nasty and STANK!!!  It smelled like a combination of BO and butt!!!  Nasty!!!   I didn't use it for days hoping it would "air out" then changed the strings and cleaned it. Another time I'd just put all new heads on my Noble & Cooley drumset and this guy dented my heads.  I tend to be reticent about letting folk use my stuff now.
Psalm 33:3 "Sing unto Him a new song, play skillfully with a loud noise."
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up