LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Let someone use your bass  (Read 6140 times)

tondee

Re: Let someone use your bass
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2006, 09:13:51 AM »
I may let someone play it at church.  I have no problem with that.  NO TINKERING!!!!
Play "AS-IS."  Let someone take it with them???   Wow...  Now that's insane.  There's many reasons of saying no.  The nicest, because I need it within MY reach at all times.  I'm always practicing at home.  Every opportunity I get I pick up my bass and play.

This reminds me of something from years ago.  I asked a good friend if I could borrow his guitar, take it home for a couple of days.  Man, he laughed at me.  Would you believe a month ago, yea, February, he asked me if he could borrow my guitar (not the bass) not for a couple days but until he got his fixed.  (Ha, Ha, Ha!)...  I told him it would be here waiting for him, whenever he wants it.  I guess I can be such a pushover at times...  But if he asked for the bass the answer would had been a quick emphatic "No."

Tony

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2007, 10:56:42 AM »
I let someone use my bass and when I went to pick it up it had been sitting in a hot car all day. I wasnt to pleased about that but I didnt let him know that. I can imagine what that will do with the tross rod and wood. I doubt I will lend my bass out anymore.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline webster808

• LGM Member
  • Purdue University

« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2007, 12:03:26 PM »
 ;D man...i thought i was the only one!!!! I play a Schecter Diamond Series Custom 5 string, first of all, Lord knows how I worked to earned that bass, so I never asked for people's bass's anyway, cuz i know how i feel about mine. I don't lend it to anyone! At church though, theres this one kid, who always comes over when im playing after church...he loves the bass, but the rule doesnt exclude him  ;D, so i got a 4 string, where i let him "practice" on...but the most important thing is people dont know how to take excellent care of their brothers/sisters materials. Its sad but true.

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2007, 11:07:11 PM »
I don't get many requests, but if I did I would say yes only if that person were going to play in my presence.  NEVER would I let my basses out of my sight!

And like others, I wouldn't ask another bassist to borrow his or hers.  Maybe play it in their presence but never borrow it.

Offline MrEdabass

• LGM Member
    • My youtube

« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2007, 03:22:10 PM »
In April we had a week of performances at our school. My band and another band were involved in the performance. Their bass player was a startin out 1 hu can play sorta simple riffs and stuff but he can be quite silly and mess about alot. So we're here on the stage settin up an suddenly I hear a pop, turn around, he's broken a string. So there on the stage is his wounded bass, my bass and a school one is elswhere and the first thing he does is turn to me and ask if he can use mine. Now im standin here on the stage, evrybody waiting on my next move and im looking at the extent of the damage to his G. I eventually decided not to because even tho he has not yet become quite skilled on the bass, he seems to be quite good at snapping strings from trying to slap and pop during classic rock tunes?!?
Jesus

And you'll never find one greater

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2007, 04:43:33 PM »
In April we had a week of performances at our school. My band and another band were involved in the performance. Their bass player was a startin out 1 hu can play sorta simple riffs and stuff but he can be quite silly and mess about alot. So we're here on the stage settin up an suddenly I hear a pop, turn around, he's broken a string. So there on the stage is his wounded bass, my bass and a school one is elswhere and the first thing he does is turn to me and ask if he can use mine. Now im standin here on the stage, evrybody waiting on my next move and im looking at the extent of the damage to his G. I eventually decided not to because even tho he has not yet become quite skilled on the bass, he seems to be quite good at snapping strings from trying to slap and pop during classic rock tunes?!?

LOL
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline Keys410

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • A perfect man I am not, but I strive to be!

« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2007, 08:10:08 PM »
My Fender was stolen from my church..Right now I have a basic Peavey 4 string...Anybody can play it..lol...Just put some DR Marcus Miller Signature strings on there..Once I buy a better bass..No one will touch that one but they can touch this one...lol
I'm destined for greatness!!!

Offline craigory

• LGM Member

« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2007, 09:19:57 PM »
I guess the first thing to enter my mind would be... Where is YOUR BASS!
Tell me something!! I don't mind sharing: example another church comes in, bass player wants to use my amp, no problem, why should you tote your stuff in (like I always have to do) if you don't have to. BUT... If you're a Bass Player... Where's YOUR GIRL!!!

Offline BimmerFan99

• LGM Member

« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2007, 09:35:59 PM »
The only folks I trust with my bass are my friends/fellow band members.  They can pick up my bass any time and play it without asking (and they usually do this while I'm on the keys).  I've not been in any situations where someone new to me asked to use my bass, but anyone else requires my advance permission and will be under my scrutiny.

Offline jucoise

• LGM Member
    • http://www.myspace.com/btdynamite

« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2007, 10:17:42 AM »
I did recently and i regreted it greatly! I had just put on brand new DR's and my boy asked me if he could try it out. He played, and he had the sweatiest fingers i think known to man. I had a look of astonishment as to how his hand could sweat so much and i had to play after him! I dont think i'll ever let another one touch my axe again!

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2007, 08:00:09 PM »
I did recently and i regreted it greatly! I had just put on brand new DR's and my boy asked me if he could try it out. He played, and he had the sweatiest fingers i think known to man. I had a look of astonishment as to how his hand could sweat so much and i had to play after him! I dont think i'll ever let another one touch my axe again!

Jucoise,

What bass are you holding in your avatar?  The headstock looks HUGE.  Or is it all camera angle?
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline jucoise

• LGM Member
    • http://www.myspace.com/btdynamite

« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2007, 08:43:33 PM »
Jucoise,

What bass are you holding in your avatar?  The headstock looks HUGE.  Or is it all camera angle?

I ordered a Fender Jazz deluxe neck replacement from Warmoth....LOL Now that i look at it it DOES look huge in the pic but nah its just the pic angle

Offline Vangie D

• LGM Member
  • zawmar drumsticks 'play.minister.groove.'
    • www.youtube.com/user/vangied

« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2007, 10:23:26 AM »

But there was something Ladybass said a while ago about dedicating your instruments to God and you shouldn't just let anyone touch them has got me thinking about this again.

im not really a bass player, but my bass player is peculiar about who youches her bass.
I agree that you should be wise about who is playing with the instrument that you have dedicated to God.

Offline bassthumpa

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My blog

« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2007, 10:54:54 AM »
I'm kinda late to this thread, but I'll echo some of the earlier comments.  I have no problem letting people that I know play my bass.  We fellowship with other churches regularly, and I know a few of the other bass players that I'd trust to handle my gear as if it were their own.

But borrowing it, as it taking it away from my presence?  No indeed!  Only lend what you can afford to lose if you don't get it back... and even then, you don't lend to any-and-every-body.

Offline chrismc101

• LGM Member

« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2007, 01:34:58 PM »
To me, there is nothing wrong with us "musicians" saying, "No." It's not about being materialistic or anything like cause I know I wish I had a lil more money to play with, lol... It doesn't mean we're not Christ like to say no either. If you're a musician and you're going to a service where your church, your group or whomever will be singing/performing; why wouldn't you have you bass with you? I'll let you use my amp; but my ax, NO! I mean, can't we almost relate that as to going to church without your offering, your tithe, or your BIBLE?

All of use that spent good money that we worked hard for to purchase this equipment that we have; we've earned the owner's right to say who can and who can not use our gear. It's nothing hard or complex about it. If a person that ask has a problem with you not letting them; then the fall back is, "Where is your equipment?" I've had plenty of guys to say, man I wanna play your bass, cause of it's looks, and they got a bass on their shoulders. So again, even as Christians, we have the right to say no and NOT feeling condemned about it. Just my two cents and take on the matter.

Keep bassN ya'll...
CeeMc
"bassN4eva"

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2007, 09:39:42 PM »
Well, now it's finally happened...sort of.  I was playing a program at my church and another church was coming in to set up.  We had finished, I had already packed up my bass and was about to unplug my Fender Bassman 100 and roll it out when the bassist for the next church said, "Mind if I use your amp?"  He had a Fender Rumble 15.  I said, "Help yourself", and then was treated to some of the best playing I have ever heard.  Later on in the program our church was called back to do more songs (I have learned a valuable lesson, never to pack up until the program's over).  The other bassist saw I was in a spot, handed me his bass and said, "Help yourself."

All's well that ends well.  I hope I run into that guy again so that I can learn from him!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up