LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Taping Drum Sticks  (Read 10359 times)

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

Taping Drum Sticks
« on: February 20, 2006, 08:51:15 PM »
Why do drummers use electrical tape on drum sticks? Why not use masking tape, scotch, or duct tape. LOL One of the guys did this tonight. They always break up sticks here. I guess they are trying to make up in volume for not playing clean.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

j_kay

Re: Taping Drum Sticks
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 10:17:00 PM »
I only taped my sticks (a very thin layer of white electrical tape) while in my 8 years of marching band.  Because of the sticks size and the very small variance in the tape's weight, it did not change the feel and the rebound properties of that stick. 

As for the drumset - I wouldn't tape my sticks, based on the fact that it could change the feel and rebound properties of the stick.  The stick makers has designed each model for a particular response.  Taping them will dramatically change their intentions. 

But if it feels good for you, 'do you'!  If you like it, I love it!   ;D

Offline MODERN_DRUMMER

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 06:21:13 AM »
that is so0000000000......... late 80's early 90's i pray none of you young guys are still tapin sticks????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!jus buy new ones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mrwhite

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 09:11:08 AM »
OK, ok.  I've done that a few times....BUT I've stopped!!!  It truly is better to just buy new sticks, or buy sticks in bulk.  But don't get attached emotionally to a pair of sticks!!  They all break!! 

Offline depondrums

• LGM Member
  • GOD IS THE ONE AND ONLY JUDGE........

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 01:19:44 PM »
They make stick tape in guitar center and sam ash.  Why doesn't anybody know these things.  The electrical tape is out the door.  C'mon
I PLAY TO THE GLORY OF GOD........

Offline jdkells

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 09:51:12 PM »
Man, don't tape no sticks. Sticks were made to be broken. We did that years ago when we didn't know no better, and tried to save sticks. Just buy new one's.

Offline Mandella_Luv06

• LGM Member
  • ~*My first love*~

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 08:22:43 AM »
omg thats so funny because our drum player at my church tapes his sticks. lol! I'll be sure to tell him that y'all said not to do that anymore! HAHA!
~*Class of 2006...da crunkest of them all!*~

bdrums777

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 10:06:51 AM »
i tape up my practice sticks in the rimshot area or when i know that i am gonna be hittin hard. other than that, at the church i play at, they buy me my sticks so i don't worry too much about that stuff....

Offline Swing

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 10:45:37 AM »
I taped my sticks in high school for style. Now I cant iagine even using it. It makes the sticks very slippery.

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 11:03:55 AM »
What kinda tape are we talking about??? THere are different types. For example...Someone taping their sticks to prevent breakage and to hold them together...then there is grip tape that enhances your grip on the sticks...is that not right to use either?

God Bless.

bdrums777

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2006, 11:11:05 AM »
there are various grips made by different companies like ahead and pro mark. then zildjian makes the dip line of sticks which also is supposed to help the grip....there is nothin wrong with taping up sticks if you don't have the money for new ones.....

bdrums777

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2006, 11:12:31 AM »
also, i never ever taped up my sticks at the shaft where i grip them. only in the rimshot area and the shoulder of the stick where the hi hats are struck....
Pages: [1]   Go Up