LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Don't forget it's about the music  (Read 1319 times)

Offline sessionplayer

• LGM Member

Don't forget it's about the music
« on: February 26, 2006, 10:54:52 AM »
We all have different setups, and it is nigh impossible to standardize a "perfect" studio setup for everyone. What is important, in my view, is that we keep very much in mind what all the gear we spend money on is for. Over the years, I've done my fair share of impulse buying, thanks to the hype that sells industry magazines. I discovered, though, that being constantly on the lookout for the freshest gizmo more often than not hurts the musicmaking. Just to illustrate, recently I compared a recording I did on a TASCAM Portastudio 15 years ago with one I did on Pro Tools last year. While the crispness of digital was obvious in the latter recording, the track I did on the 8-track sounded more exciting, and the product could easily go to radio. The factor that helped the lo-tech track to triumph over the hi-tech one was the MUSICIANSHIP that I applied during my more desperate days. It is not the fault of Pro Tools, which is, of course, an excellent professional tool, but that of my psychological blunder in dreaming that technology could stand in for hard work. I'm sure that if I were to apply the same effort with PT, the result would be amazing. My point? While upgrading equipment wise is both natural and important, invest your best efforts in using whatever gear you have at present, so that when you "graduate" to more sophisticated systems, the combination of technology and well honed skills will produce stunning results to the glory of God. I'm interested in sharing views on this with any fellow members.

T_Keys

Re: Don't forget it's about the music
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 04:01:27 PM »
Well said, sessionplayer!

MusiqSoul

Re: Don't forget it's about the music
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 08:16:12 AM »
Very Very well said Session, It really is about the music.

If you had red my "Long Book" on the setups here in the forum, it's about also knowing your equipment. Alot of people have this isea that if they get a Protools system, it would automatically speak success.
Pages: [1]   Go Up