LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Anybody have some new chops you can pass on? Interesting ones fa sho  (Read 5785 times)

MaestroDivine

Re: Anybody have some new chops you can pass on? Interesting ones fa sho
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2006, 11:30:23 AM »
GETTING BACK TO THE TOPIC.

something im working on is playing some chops starting with my left hand. they have an interesting sound to them once you get going with it.

there you go i thought i would help you out since some of the others seem so unwilling to pass on thier knowledge. The bible says to reap a harvest you must give a seed and it wasn't just talking about money.

Practice dudes, practice! I'm tired of people using the Bible to justify their laziness! Practice! Practice! Practice!

Just like I'm not responsible for giving money to you, just 'cause you ask for it. I'm not responsible for passing on knowledge, just 'cause you ask for it. I shut down completely when I see people trying to use scripture to justify their laziness/actions. Whatever .....

Quote on,  homeboy. Betta ask Sabe, or Moe .. or E-R ... 'cause this well is closed.

Offline Da_Drumma

• LGM Member
    • Da' Drumma on Myspace

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2006, 11:31:03 AM »
simple like this.........EVERYTHING YOU DO FOR CHRIST WILL LAST

I said it before on this board .. everything we do ISN'T for God. We don't go to the movies to give God The Glory. We don't play basketball to give God The Glory. God put us on Earth to live TOO, I feel. If he wanted us to worship him, and be ALL ABOUT him all day and every day ... we'd be be like the 24 Elders, and countless angels, around the throne. You can have a life, and be a Christian as well...

You did not ask for licks, 'cause of God. You asked for them, 'cause that's an interest of yours. God doesn't care about licks, we do. So, let's examine some of the things we've been taught, for once. Not everything that flows from a Pastor's mouth of is the truth, nor was everything given to him by God. Christians have certain limits and boundaries ... but, I doubt if you played the drums, at home & with friends ... simply because you wanted to - God would be displeased. Worship is worship ... your time is your time. Their is a time and place for everything. I doubt .. the way you'd play just hanging around at the house, is the way you'd play in church. I doubt the way you'd dress at home, you'd dress at church.

If you truly believe EVERYTHING you're doing in your life, is for the glory of God, then go visit a monastery or a convent.

..& I believe that's real talk. Not the SC(Spiritually Correct) things to say.

check out what i wrote...i said EVERYTHING YOU DO FOR CHRIRST WILL LAST. NOT EVERYTHING YOU DO. because everything man does comes to an end. playing basketball can be used as a gift. If you been blessed to have game like Jordan, that doesnt mean go to the courts and gamble with people cuz you great at it. Go play your game and when you win your ring, give God the glory. Dont say, its me, i did all of this, i made those jumpers, its me its me. no....wrong....

So when you miss those j's, it was God making you miss .. and when you hit, it was God making you hit? I don't like that type of thinking. I think it's be perpuated by a people with a very limited understanding of what they've read. I firmly believe that we're given a gift .. but WE have to cultivate it. God doesn't cultivate it for us. WE have to decide to become better at what we do. So, whether we can bring ourselves to say it or not ... WE ARE responsible for some of our success. Yes, God is ultimately responsible ... but YOU stop doing YOUR part .. and what God gave YOU will not be maximized.

When people win Awards for their albums.. they give honor to God .. but they also give honor and praise to the people who  helped make the album a success. They don't say, 'I also want to give honor to myself for doing such an excellent job. Staying late hours in the  studio... .." 'cause it's not 'proper' to give yourself credit. However, whether we want to go against conventional Christian thinking or not .... we are partly responsible for our success. Nobody is saying that what we do for Christ won't last ... once we're dead ... that stuff is over an done with. My point is ... don't make it sound like every word we utter, and every move we make is done for the Glory Of God. Also, don't make it sound like we're robots ... and we have no will of our own - and nothing we do, come from the sweat of our own brow.

Man I feel where you are coming from, but I think you are like misunderstanding where I am coming from. Im not trying to make an argument out of this. Im not saying we are pre-programmed robots or anything, or that every word out of your mouth has to do with christ. Yes I believe that you have to take upon your own action to help your gift. But alot of people misunderstand the word of god. They try to make the Bible acustomed thier life, but the bible is written in on way and thats is the truth. There is nothing in the Bible that has to be rephrased, and the bible says simply "For he has given us all knowledge" so in your practicing or whatever yes you are taking upon your own action to better your gift, but with the knowledge he has given you. Thats all im saying bruh!!!!!! :) :) :) :)

Offline Da_Drumma

• LGM Member
    • Da' Drumma on Myspace

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2006, 11:33:56 AM »
simple like this.........EVERYTHING YOU DO FOR CHRIST WILL LAST.....Use the gift God blessed you with, for kingdom building, not personal building. God Blessed all of us with a gift, its our job to polish it and keep it shining for the world to see, and for God to get the glory. God knows what we are going to do before we do it. Most of the time its the wrong thing, that's why we should thank God for being a merciful God. God gives us the opportunity to make chooses and decisions with our lives, however we reap what we sow. It is a gift given from God to be used to glorify God. Not prove to the next person im better than you. We are here to glorify God and to tell the world about God. We are programmed to do so. How many of us do this is a different topic.

I said it before on this board .. everything we do ISN'T for God. We don't go to the  movies to give God The Glory. We don't play basketball to give God The Glory. God put us on Earth to live TOO, I feel. If he wanted us to worship him, and be ALL ABOUT him all day and every day ... we'd be be like the 24 Elders, and countless angels, around the throne. You can have a life, and  be a Christian as well...

You did not ask for licks, 'cause of God. You asked for them, 'cause that's an interest of yours. God doesn't care about licks, we do. So, let's examine some of the things we've been taught, for once. Not everything that flows from a Pastor's mouth of is the truth, nor was everything given to him by God. Christians have certain limits and boundaries ... but, I doubt if you played the drums, at home & with friends ... simply because you wanted to - God would be displeased. Worship is worship ... your time is your time. Their is a time and place for everything. I doubt .. the way you'd play just hanging around at the house, is the way you'd play in church. I doubt the way you'd dress at home, you'd dress at church.

If you truly believe EVERYTHING you're doing in your life, is for the glory of God, then go visit a monastery or a convent.

Bruh the reason I bring up god all the time is because this is LearnGOSPELmusic.com. Gospel means the good news of god. In my opinion all day long you should be about god. There should never be a moment where you let god slip your mind because thats when the enemy trys to attack. When Im at home practicing I do think about god. I ask god to give mne knowledge to learn whatever Im working on and when I do come up with something that will bless his people I give him glory for it. So call me oh so holy, but every step I take each second I try to take with god. I just dint do it on Sundays or whenever im In church. If we remember by the minute and not by the day, there is less room for the devil to corrupt your mind or stop you from acomplishing your goals to bless the kingdom of god!!! :) :) :) :)
I Talk about god all the time cause this is learnGOSPELmusic. Thats the main reason I came to this forum

I've said that Christiains have limits and boundaries. If the Gospel is rooted in you ... then you know what to do and what not to do, naturally. It has taken root ... and your percieve the world with a Christian perspective...

HOWEVER ...

While God is responsible for your gift, ULTIMATELY .... it won't be maximized if you don't do YOUR part. YOUR part. Not God's part. That has already been done. YOU have to do something TOO. Meaning? YOUR success is partly due, to what you do. No one is trying to remove God from the equation. I'm not trying to seperate false conventional thinking, from the truth. I think people misunderstand the 'We can't do anything without God" statement.

We're not puppets. We have certain gifts, and inclinations ... and our free-will goes from there. If you believe you're a puppet .. then go ahead. Man can become what God wants him to be .. or what he wants to be .... even atheist's have success in this world. Are you saying that the Atheist .. who doesn't consider the will of God's, success was due to God? No. I don't think so. It was due to God .. 'cause he was blessed with life, intelligence, health, and strength ... but HIS will ..., took him in another direction than what God wanted for him. That means that ... even while we do the will of God .. their is a will that exist's .. independantly of God .. that allows us to choose the will of God, or reject. Ultimately speaking, we are not puppets.

But thru all of it god already knew what was going to happen, cause it was written or your timeline!!!!! :) :) :) :)

MaestroDivine

« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2006, 11:36:00 AM »

I said it before on this board .. everything we do ISN'T for God. We don't go to the movies to give God The Glory. We don't play basketball to give God The Glory. God put us on Earth to live TOO, I feel. If he wanted us to worship him, and be ALL ABOUT him all day and every day ... we'd be be like the 24 Elders, and countless angels, around the throne. You can have a life, and be a Christian as well...

check out what i wrote...i said EVERYTHING YOU DO FOR CHRIRST WILL LAST. NOT EVERYTHING YOU DO. because everything man does comes to an end. playing basketball can be used as a gift. If you been blessed to have game like Jordan, that doesnt mean go to the courts and gamble with people cuz you great at it. Go play your game and when you win your ring, give God the glory. Dont say, its me, i did all of this, i made those jumpers, its me its me. no....wrong....

So when you miss those j's, it was God making you miss .. and when you hit, it was God making you hit? I don't like that type of thinking. I think it's be perpuated by a people with a very limited understanding of what they've read. I firmly believe that we're given a gift .. but WE have to cultivate it. God doesn't cultivate it for us. WE have to decide to become better at what we do. So, whether we can bring ourselves to say it or not ... WE ARE responsible for some of our success. Yes, God is ultimately responsible ... but YOU stop doing YOUR part .. and what God gave YOU will not be maximized.

When people win Awards for their albums.. they give honor to God .. but they also give honor and praise to the people who  helped make the album a success. They don't say, 'I also want to give honor to myself for doing such an excellent job. Staying late hours in the  studio... .." 'cause it's not 'proper' to give yourself credit. However, whether we want to go against conventional Christian thinking or not .... we are partly responsible for our success. Nobody is saying that what we do for Christ won't last ... once we're dead ... that stuff is over an done with. My point is ... don't make it sound like every word we utter, and every move we make is done for the Glory Of God. Also, don't make it sound like we're robots ... and we have no will of our own - and nothing we do, come from the sweat of our own brow.

Man I feel where you are coming from, but I think you are like misunderstanding where I am coming from. Im not trying to make an argument out of this. Im not saying we are pre-programmed robots or anything, or that every word out of your mouth has to do with christ. Yes I believe that you have to take upon your own action to help your gift. But alot of people misunderstand the word of god. They try to make the Bible acustomed thier life, but the bible is written in on way and thats is the truth. There is nothing in the Bible that has to be rephrased, and the bible says simply "For he has given us all knowledge" so in your practicing or whatever yes you are taking upon your own action to better your gift, but with the knowledge he has given you. Thats all im saying bruh!!!!!! :) :) :) :)

Dude, I respect you, despite how I may sound. I'm just a passionate person - and you probably can see that in the way I word things.

You stand firm in what you believe, and you're not around ASKING/BEGGING ... for things that you can do for yourself.

Offline flamtapz

• LGM Member
  • dublife.

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2006, 11:37:00 AM »
Roll your drums down a staircase simultaneously, repeat this process, this will give you some new licks :) try adding bricks and other such debris, this may add a bit more flavor to your newfound licks

Offline flamtapz

• LGM Member
  • dublife.

« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2006, 11:39:47 AM »
harhar i'm only kidding, umm go to some sheds and do a bit of collective listening.

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2006, 11:42:45 AM »
harhar i'm only kidding, umm go to some sheds and do a bit of collective listening.

LOL  ;D ;D ;D LOL

God Bless.

Offline Da_Drumma

• LGM Member
    • Da' Drumma on Myspace

« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2006, 11:43:20 AM »

When people win Awards for their albums.. they give honor to God .. but they also give honor and praise to the people who  helped make the album a success. They don't say, 'I also want to give honor to myself for doing such an excellent job. Staying late hours in the  studio... .." 'cause it's not 'proper' to give yourself credit. However, whether we want to go against conventional Christian thinking or not .... we are partly responsible for our success. Nobody is saying that what we do for Christ won't last ... once we're dead ... that stuff is over an done with. My point is ... don't make it sound like every word we utter, and every move we make is done for the Glory Of God. Also, don't make it sound like we're robots ... and we have no will of our own - and nothing we do, come from the sweat of our own brow.

Dude, I respect you, despite how I may sound. I'm just a passionate person - and you probably can see that in the way I word things.

You stand firm in what you believe, and you're not around ASKING/BEGGING ... for things that you can do for yourself.

Thats not a problem bruh, I have much respect for you also. It's just that man people say I have extreme faith and maybe I do, but I just always try to make sure I don't let god down, and give him what he is worthy of. But man I understand what you are saying and you are totally right. I just tend to put god In everything I do cause I love him so much man!!! :) :) :) :) But you never said anything wrong we are just sharing or different experiences thats all !!!!!

Offline Da_Drumma

• LGM Member
    • Da' Drumma on Myspace

« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2006, 11:47:50 AM »
What helps me on some tricky stuff Is: Play a track or some music behind thats in like 4/4 and count and play some rhythms in a whole bunch of different time signatures and see what you come up with!!!!! :) :) :)

Offline 3rd-Day

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2006, 11:49:05 AM »

Whats the name of this site again??? ???
Im too tall to act small.

Offline LuckeeDuckets

• LGM Member
  • My lil nephew (5) putting in work now

« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2006, 11:51:23 AM »
nice joke flamtapz....lol...now that i see you joking, whose gonnna replace my set.... >:( lol...nall...but i agree that we need to polish our gift, however you shouldn't just believe you doing it all yourself. Thank God that he placed the desire in you and us all to want to practice and get better. If you miss the shot its not God playing defense on you, u should know your not gonna make them all. Thats so we wont get big headed and really be like im the ish. If you never got off time, or dropped a stick or messed up on a roll, you would think your the one...but we have to stay humble and thats why we sometimes miss that shot. your gonna miss no doubt, still in all, to God be the glory for what he has done, going to do, and doing now. im not trying to change your point of view, just respect mine. and you mentioned you tired of people using the bible for an excuse not to practice, who? i asked a question, you commented and i responded. im not using the bible sep of what it was put here for. i practice, however, i dont  see nething wrong with learning from my peers. i guess this is not LEARNgospelmusic.com....
Stuart "Luckee" STL MO
Yamaha Concert Series

Offline drumzalicious

• LGM Member
    • Calvin Fenner Website

« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2006, 11:52:22 AM »

something im working on is playing some chops starting with my left hand. they have an interesting sound to them once you get going with it.

there you go i thought i would help you out since some of the others seem so unwilling to pass on thier knowledge. The bible says to reap a harvest you must give a seed and it wasn't just talking about money.

Practice dudes, practice! I'm tired of people using the Bible to justify their laziness! Practice! Practice! Practice!

Just like I'm not responsible for giving money to you, just 'cause you ask for it. I'm not responsible for passing on knowledge, just 'cause you ask for it. I shut down completely when I see people trying to use scripture to justify their laziness/actions. Whatever .....

Quote on,  homeboy. Betta ask Sabe, or Moe .. or E-R ... 'cause this well is closed.

Wow. so what your telling me is that you never got help from anyone to better yourself you discovered everything on your own. you didnt have to listen to others drumming, you didn't watch videos to see what they were doing ?? if thats true then go ahead brotha. i would like to hear you play with all your self discovered grooves and licks.

why does it bother you so much to help out another person that is trying to better thier craft.?? so what if he uses one of your licks in a song get over it. you most likely have used someone elses lick or someone else might already be playing your licks from hearing you play.

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2006, 11:54:49 AM »
I'm trying to get a feel of whats going on around me. If you know how to write them down and pass em on, send them. Get a couple of chops in my mix i can add. So if you know of any interesting paradiddles or something get at me. I really want to hear back from some of the best online drummers around. Stl. 8)

Hey Brother. The best advice I can tell you is watch and learn...Go to Drummerworld.com watch all the videos you can. Buy the book Stick Control for the Snare drummer by Stone. Get the DVD Creative Control by Thomas Lang...

PRACTICE. and then PRACTICE Some more. If you dont have a kit to practice on...Order the DW Practice kit to go. I have one on order. The best way to create your own NEW chops....is by trying and practicing. Try things you havent done before. mix it up. use different parts of the kit on different parts of your fills. that one thing alone can spark you to new creativity. Alot of the greats will play doubles, but because they move it around the kit, it sounds like they are doing more than just doubles.

Seriously...if you are struggling... BReak your kit down like I originally suggested... THAT FORCES you to be creative. You dont have a million different items to be your crutch. Try it. its awkward at first, but it will really build your creativity.

I really hoped I helped.

and I will speak on behalf of all the other Cats that posted. They are not at all trying to cut you down, or be mean...or anything of that sort. They are just tired of the cookie cutter drummers. The guys that will just repeat and copy cant really be considered drummers. and they have a very legitimate valid point. They are right. We all need to stand out and have our own voice.

BUT YOU STILL NEEDED HELP AND A SENSE OF DIRECTION...So thats what I will give.

God Bless.

MaestroDivine

« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2006, 11:58:19 AM »

Whats the name of this site again??? ???

I know the difference between someone wanting a hand-out, and a true student. Call it intuition  ... but I've had students before, and you can tell the difference. A true student of mine won't get upset with me .. when I tell him to go do it/figure it out himself/herself. The ones who just want to leech your ideas, are the ones who get mad. This is done for the Creator ... but it's also and artform .. and we all have our own creativity. So, this is different, for that reason.

When  my students say, "Help me develop this idea I have ..." .. I'm right there for them. When they say, 'Show me some chords I can use...", I turn into a vegetable. I believe in helping people develop ideas ... and teaching them the fundamentals .. so they can help themselves ... but, that's it.

Offline 3rd-Day

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2006, 12:01:29 PM »

Wow. so what your telling me is that you never got help from anyone to better yourself you discovered everything on your own. you didnt have to listen to others drumming, you didn't watch videos to see what they were doing ?? if thats true then go ahead brotha. i would like to hear you play with all your self discovered grooves and licks.

why does it bother you so much to help out another person that is trying to better thier craft.?? so what if he uses one of your licks in a song get over it. you most likely have used someone elses lick or someone else might already be playing your licks from hearing you play.
Co-sign!!!
Im too tall to act small.

MaestroDivine

« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2006, 12:03:21 PM »

Yes, I did. It took years to undo that mess. I was sounding EXACTLY like Gerald Heyward. I don't HAVE to get over it. This is an artform, dude. I respect it as such. All I'm doing is challenging you to take responsibility, and not HAVE to depend on others. The fact that you keep debating this.. tell's me that you don't want to be creative. The fact that you told me to get over it .. 'cause someone uses a lick I spent time creating ... tells me that you're not about creativity. You're a plagarist ... and I don't deal with people like that.

Sorry. The Candy Store is closed.

I'm not the only musician on this site. You'll never hear me play, 'cause you've already proven yourself to be an thief. 

Offline LuckeeDuckets

• LGM Member
  • My lil nephew (5) putting in work now

« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2006, 12:04:31 PM »
alright alright....let me check this out, im not trying to steal, copy, fraud, forge talent or nothing. I been playing for sometime, 15+ years. Im 25. I was just making a simple conversation piece, and man did it bring one....lol.....but thanks to all that did comment...positive or negative, its still all good. Now hopefully we can use the site for more than just playing clips, use it for LEARNING from eachother.
Stuart "Luckee" STL MO
Yamaha Concert Series

MaestroDivine

« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2006, 12:05:30 PM »

Co-sign!!!

Co-sign all you want, it doesn't matter. Maybe someone else will help you ... but, all you've done with your talking, is painted a picture of yourself as a lazy performer, with no confidence in the creativity he's been given, and the artform itself.

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2006, 12:06:23 PM »
I'm trying to get a feel of whats going on around me. If you know how to write them down and pass em on, send them. Get a couple of chops in my mix i can add. So if you know of any interesting paradiddles or something get at me. I really want to hear back from some of the best online drummers around. Stl. 8)

Hey Brother. The best advice I can tell you is watch and learn...Go to Drummerworld.com watch all the videos you can. Buy the book Stick Control for the Snare drummer by Stone. Get the DVD Creative Control by Thomas Lang...

PRACTICE. and then PRACTICE Some more. If you dont have a kit to practice on...Order the DW Practice kit to go. I have one on order. The best way to create your own NEW chops....is by trying and practicing. Try things you havent done before. mix it up. use different parts of the kit on different parts of your fills. that one thing alone can spark you to new creativity. Alot of the greats will play doubles, but because they move it around the kit, it sounds like they are doing more than just doubles.

Seriously...if you are struggling... BReak your kit down like I originally suggested... THAT FORCES you to be creative. You dont have a million different items to be your crutch. Try it. its awkward at first, but it will really build your creativity.

I really hoped I helped.

and I will speak on behalf of all the other Cats that posted. They are not at all trying to cut you down, or be mean...or anything of that sort. They are just tired of the cookie cutter drummers. The guys that will just repeat and copy cant really be considered drummers. and they have a very legitimate valid point. They are right. We all need to stand out and have our own voice.

BUT YOU STILL NEEDED HELP AND A SENSE OF DIRECTION...So thats what I will give.

God Bless.

LUCKEE....read this!!! ^

MaestroDivine

« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2006, 12:08:34 PM »
alright alright....let me check this out, im not trying to steal, copy, fraud, forge talent or nothing. I been playing for sometime, 15+ years. Im 25. I was just making a simple conversation piece, and man did it bring one....lol.....but thanks to all that did comment...positive or negative, its still all good. Now hopefully we can use the site for more than just playing clips, use it for LEARNING from eachother.

Learn the craft of music. Their is a difference between learning music ... and wanting someone to give you licks. If you don't know the difference, figure it out. It'll benefit you more in the long run.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up