LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Throat tickle while singing  (Read 10718 times)

Lyric33

Throat tickle while singing
« on: November 26, 2005, 12:38:35 PM »
Has anyone experienced this while singing? You get a tickle in your throat that causes you to cough (while your singing, lol)? What is the cause of it?

Offline seagullblue

• LGM Member

Throat Tickle !!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005, 04:49:39 AM »
Hi - There may be a number of reasons why this happens and therefore, a number of remedys.  I use to experience this quite often, especially at the start of a singing session.  What cured it for me is doing proper warm-up before starting.  Some of my warm-ups are as much as 25 mins and I don't suffer throaty coughs anymore.  Get hold of a professional warm-up CD and start singing clearly all the time!!

Offline Jackflash

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 11:14:38 AM »
Any recommendations for a warm up CD
"In Spirit and in truth"

Offline ReddGirl

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Keep on smiling!

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 02:09:53 PM »
CD - "Set Your Voice Free" Excellent!

Offline Mondi

• LGM Member

Re: Throat tickle while singing
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 04:14:48 PM »
one of the things that I learned while taking college leveled vocal lessons (which seems really gross) is to swallow mucous instead of spitting it out.  This gives the cords an added moisture protection.  Another things that we so often overlook is water.  Drinking water helps our natural body to maintain that needed level of hydration.  Make sure the water is lukewarm if taken before or during performance.  Oh, yes, don't forget that a warm-up is a must.  You can't really expect the cords to move properly without an exercise.  Would you workout, or do a cross country relay without a warm up?

Grace & Peace,
Mondi

Lyric33

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 06:43:58 PM »
I'll give the cd a try. THank you so much. :D

Lyric33

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 06:50:13 PM »
@Mondi

You're right about water. I am a really big soda drinker so I use to always have to clear my throat every few words of a song. A music director told me to start drinking more water especially if I knew I'd be singing. So I gave it a try. It was hard to put my soda's down for a few days but it worked. I drank lots of water the day before we had a big concert and the day of. My voice was really clear and I didn't have to clear my throat not once. I was really surprised.  Needless to say I couldn't wait to get a coke afterwards...lol. : :lol:

Offline Vangelist

• LGM Member
  • No Joy, No Strength *II Timothy 4*

Vocal Tips
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 01:58:08 AM »
One of the major things singers can do is to keep the vocal chord moist. Water of course is the best way of doing this. Another point is that mucous is not a good thing. I mean a little is ok because it also helps keeps chords moist, but it causes alot of scratchiness and coughing. To avoid this dont eat any dairy products or breads before singing. And if you have a cough dont suck on cough drops, they dry out your throat which will result in cracking and strain of the voice. I hope this helps.

Be Abundantly Blessed
I won't take nothing for my journey now. No turnin' back, no turnin' back.

Lyric33

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2005, 09:07:23 AM »
He said the same thing about cough drops and most lozengers. He said some people thing they help but they don't. But thanks for all the tips.. :D

Offline timroy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Jesus is love...

Re: Throat tickle while singing
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006, 05:03:49 PM »
Hold your chin down closer to your throat. It opens your trachea for more air support, jog regularly or conduct breathing exercises and of course as previously stated drink lots of water!!!!!

I hope I helped.

Peace and love,
Brother Tim
Just believe...
Pages: [1]   Go Up