LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Chord Forming  (Read 6785 times)

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

Re: Chord Forming
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2006, 01:32:38 PM »
Go to this link and tell me if this clears up progressions a little more for ya: http://www.musicianslearningcenter.com/music/viewtopic.php?t=190

The general guideline is to stick to 3-6-2-5-1 (musical ZIP CODE) as much as possible if you want your music to flow.  Also another thing to remember is that your main aresenal of chords are the ones built off the scale degrees:

Chord built off 1st scale degree = major
" " " 2nd scale degree = minor
" " " 3rd scale degree = minor
" " " 4th scale degree = major
" " " 5th scale degree = major
" " " 6th scale degree = minor
" " " 7th scale degree = diminished

So, when you play a particular scale degree in your LH, and you have no idea what to play in your RH, start with the corresponding chord that is built off it in it's major scale.  Does that make sense?
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline MikaSue

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Praise God!
    • MikaSue Designs

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2006, 01:37:32 PM »
T I read that before but dont' know how to apply it.  I can play the progression, it's recognizing to play that progression in a song :-)   I've been studying   It will come I just have to be patient.

Praise God!

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2006, 01:39:59 PM »
Sounds like you need some ear training then.

Offline Gibby

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Dad...i'm ready for the world!

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2006, 10:01:47 AM »
Excuse me Mr. T-block.  I still kinda new to this forum.  I've been playing the guitar for about 2 years.  And I can somewhat recognize certain progressions.  I know that one has to experiment with the chords in order to find the sound that they are looking for.  but I'm wondering about which chords to use also.  I've heard of inner chordal movement and dominant passing chords(using the melody note).  but i'm still a little lost.  What you posted is great but I'm still having trouble putting on the guitar  :'( could you help please??

Offline jt3n1

• LGM Member
  • Child of God, Musician, Band Arranger, Teacher

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2006, 10:36:42 PM »
I know I am a little late, but I wanted to add a little something to the original post about major third and minor third intervals, just in case it may help someone else( I also teach piano lessons and my eleven year old student had some trouble with this very concept.)

A major third has a measurement just like a minor third has a measurement.
On a keyboard, we don't measure inches and feet, we measure half steps and whole steps.
Therefore, a major third is 4 half steps from the start note, and a minor third is 3 half steps from the start note.
For example, on the C major chord, we had C-E-G.
C-E is a major third. If your finger is ON the C, then you start counting on the C#(1) D(2) Eb(3) E(4) that equals 4 half steps.
It is important that you start counting on the very next note from the one you start on, otherwise you will be one off. The simple principle applies to the minor third E-G. Your finger is on the E, so you start counting on F(1) F#(2) G(3). and the interval for the C-G called a perfect fifth, is seven half steps, which makes sense because 4+3 equals 7.  Now the important thing here is to do as TBlock said. Memorize your basic triads. They are your foundation chords. Learn the formula, but do not try to get by trying to count out half steps when you are playing chords. It is too slow. I only posted this to help you figure out the chords to memorize.
Use the formulas TBlock laid out for all of the chord types and then memorize them. You will be well on your way!! I hope this helps somebody!!
A house on sand falls in storms. Learn theory!!!!

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2006, 12:57:23 PM »
Excuse me Mr. T-block.  I still kinda new to this forum.  I've been playing the guitar for about 2 years.  And I can somewhat recognize certain progressions.  I know that one has to experiment with the chords in order to find the sound that they are looking for.  but I'm wondering about which chords to use also.  I've heard of inner chordal movement and dominant passing chords(using the melody note).  but i'm still a little lost.  What you posted is great but I'm still having trouble putting on the guitar   could you help please??

This post is only about how to form a chord.  If you need help wit progressions, this is the wrong topic to ask for help wit it.  You need to read topics on progressions to help you out.  Here are some links for ya:

Basic Progressions:  http://forums.learngospelmusic.com/index.php/topic,15720.0.html

More Advanced Progressions:  http://forums.learngospelmusic.com/index.php/topic,15731.0.html

Explaining Progressions:  http://forums.learngospelmusic.com/index.php/topic,18550.0.html

Progressions Practice Routine:  http://forums.learngospelmusic.com/index.php/topic,18903.0.html

Offline Gibby

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Dad...i'm ready for the world!

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2006, 01:25:37 PM »
This post is only about how to form a chord.  If you need help wit progressions, this is the wrong topic to ask for help wit it.  You need to read topics on progressions to help you out.  Here are some links for ya:

Basic Progressions:  http://forums.learngospelmusic.com/index.php/topic,15720.0.html

More Advanced Progressions:  http://forums.learngospelmusic.com/index.php/topic,15731.0.html

Explaining Progressions:  http://forums.learngospelmusic.com/index.php/topic,18550.0.html

Progressions Practice Routine:  http://forums.learngospelmusic.com/index.php/topic,18903.0.html

THANX T-BLOCK!!  ;D 8)

Offline sayyes

• LGM Member
  • Things are gonna work out for sure..

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2006, 12:10:17 AM »
thanks t-block i dont really have problems wit major and minors but all the rest.....lol....but i was wondering how do you build a sus chord???
And I Want You To Say Well Done....

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2006, 03:18:31 PM »
but i was wondering how do you build a sus chord???

To build a suspended chord, you just substitue a note from any chord with another note that's not part of the chord.  Examples:

C-E-G (C major chord)

instead of playing E, play F

C-F-G (C sus4th chord), then later on move the F back to E to make it a C major chord again

You got that?

Offline sayyes

• LGM Member

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2006, 04:06:47 PM »
yeah i think so......so it wrks like that for all scale degrees???

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2006, 02:31:47 PM »
yeah i think so......so it wrks like that for all scale degrees???

I works like that for the majority of chords.  I don't want to say it works for all chords cuz that may not be a true statement.

Offline sayyes

• LGM Member

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2006, 12:54:25 AM »
understood

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2006, 06:29:02 AM »
I works like that for the majority of chords.  I don't want to say it works for all chords cuz that may not be a true statement.

Would it be fair to say that it only works for major chords?
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2006, 10:20:08 AM »

Would it be fair to say that it only works for major chords?

No, but they are the easiest chords that suspensions would work for cuz all u have is 3 notes to work with.  Here are 2 examples of chords I use all the time:

Key C  LH/RH

G / F-G-C-D (5) G7 sus4
/ F-G-B-D (5) G7  *slide the C to B

and

A / E-B-C (6) Am add9
/ E-A-C (6) Am  *slide B to A

The last one is not technically a true suspension, but the idea of having a suspended note then moving it to it's intended note is present here.

Offline williamsmarvin

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2008, 06:26:43 PM »
is there anyway t-block that you can post suspended chords as well. cause i'm noticing alot of susp chords in my school stuff. I attend a christian college here in oklahoma city *edited by moderator* so in that effort can you help me with some susp chords?

ya student mr williams

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2008, 09:45:05 AM »
is there anyway t-block that you can post suspended chords as well. cause i'm noticing alot of susp chords in my school stuff. I attend a christian college here in oklahoma city and the majority of the white people here have no sense of rhythm and because of that alot of there stuff is suspended to help them keep up with the beat of their songs so in that effort can you help me with some susp chords?

ya student mr williams
Hi mr williams, I'd suggest you come with a song/ song part, present the rhythm you'd normally play so that Mister Block will show you the alternative suspended chords to use..
& may I politely request that if possible, you refrain from using stuff which others may regard as offensive ;)
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2008, 09:47:29 AM »
is there anyway t-block that you can post suspended chords as well. cause i'm noticing alot of susp chords in my school stuff. I attend a christian college here in oklahoma city and the majority of the white people here have no sense of rhythm and because of that alot of there stuff is suspended to help them keep up with the beat of their songs so in that effort can you help me with some susp chords?

ya student mr williams

I'll give it a shot cuz i love suspended chords, especially sus2 chords.

Lets start with a major chord cuz those are the most commn chords to form suspended chords from.

Key of C;

1) Sus 4 chords- They are formed by raising the 3rd of the chord you are playing by a half step. Thus;

C-E-G: This is your basic major triad C chord right? The E in bold is your 3rd. Now watch this;

C-F-G: The F in bold is your suspended 4th. Notice that the distance btw E to F is a half-step. This chord now becomes your suspended 4th chord. From what i have noticed, if you play a I IV V progression, the IV is the best chord to play as a suspended 4th.

2) Sus 2 chords- They are formed by lowering the 3rd of the chord you are playing by a whole step. Thus;

C-E-G: This is your basic major triad C chord right? The E in bold is your 3rd. Now watch this;

C-D-G: The D in bold is your suspended 2nd. Notice that the distance btw E to D is a whole-step. This chord now becomes your suspended 2nd chord.

Hope it helps.

The car, job, house wife/husband are not the reward, God is.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2008, 09:51:11 AM »
& may I politely request that if possible, you refrain from using stuff which others may regard as offensive ;)

CO-SIGN, no racial comments please.

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2008, 10:08:25 AM »
CO-SIGN, no racial comments please.

On the contrary, i will post as many racial comments as i see fit. For example, the 100 meters and 400 meters suck. They are too hard. The 1500 meters is a silly race, i hate it. The triathalon race sucks.

The car, job, house wife/husband are not the reward, God is.

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2008, 10:08:41 AM »
I'll give it a shot cuz i love suspended chords, especially sus2 chords.

Lets start with a major chord cuz those are the most commn chords to form suspended chords from.

Key of C;

1) Sus 4 chords- They are formed by raising the 3rd of the chord you are playing by a half step. Thus;

C-F-G: The F in bold is your suspended 4th. Notice that the distance btw E to F is a half-step. This chord now becomes your suspended 4th chord. From what i have noticed, if you play a I IV V progression, the IV is the best chord to play as a suspended 4th.

2) Sus 2 chords- They are formed by lowering the 3rd of the chord you are playing by a whole step. Thus;

C-D-G: The D in bold is your suspended 2nd. Notice that the distance btw E to D is a whole-step. This chord now becomes your suspended 2nd chord.

Hope it helps.

Good going Fenbox ;D  That was nice basic theory to follow there (i hope for every1).
Principles matter the most.
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up