LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it safe to say that a double pedal drummer is the equivalent to a...........  (Read 10186 times)

Offline lilben

• LGM Member

........Keyboard player that transposes!!!!!!!! ??? ??? ??? Im not a drummer so you let me know!!!

This is one of the most common untruths when it comes to playing the drums.  Many of the best drummers in the world use double bass pedals, and still people think "hey you're not hardcore, ur using a double"   ::) please.

Fact of the matter is, once you develop superior chops on the double bass pedal, there are things you can do that NO single pedal player can do (There are single pedal players who are BLAZING fast, but being superfast with two feet is better than being superfast with one!).

It's not cheating.  It's not taking a shortcut.....however, I think it's important to learn how to play both ways.  I've heard Double Bass monster Mike Portnoy say he enjoys switching to a single pedal every once in a while.  Even though there are things that are simply impossible to do with a single pedal, it forces him to use more creativity.

So I only have a problem with it if you can ONLY play with a double bass.  Then it becomes a crutch.

I like single-pedal, 'cause of what I hear double-bass guys doing. Don't tell me what I can't accomplish with a single ... I'm not gon' listen. I'll butt my head into a wall of impossibility ... until it knocks me unconscious(I give up..) or I break through it. At the end of the day, I'm gon' know the limits, not be told them.

So you telling me you can do everything that 14 year old did with a double pedal with a single pedal? Im talkin about the link Sabe posed to drummerworld.
Artistik Muzik

MaestroDivine

........Keyboard player that transposes!!!!!!!! ??? ??? ??? Im not a drummer so you let me know!!!

This is one of the most common untruths when it comes to playing the drums.  Many of the best drummers in the world use double bass pedals, and still people think "hey you're not hardcore, ur using a double"   ::) please.

Fact of the matter is, once you develop superior chops on the double bass pedal, there are things you can do that NO single pedal player can do (There are single pedal players who are BLAZING fast, but being superfast with two feet is better than being superfast with one!).

It's not cheating.  It's not taking a shortcut.....however, I think it's important to learn how to play both ways.  I've heard Double Bass monster Mike Portnoy say he enjoys switching to a single pedal every once in a while.  Even though there are things that are simply impossible to do with a single pedal, it forces him to use more creativity.

So I only have a problem with it if you can ONLY play with a double bass.  Then it becomes a crutch.

I like single-pedal, 'cause of what I hear double-bass guys doing. Don't tell me what I can't accomplish with a single ... I'm not gon' listen. I'll butt my head into a wall of impossibility ... until it knocks me unconscious(I give up..) or I break through it. At the end of the day, I'm gon' know the limits, not be told them.

So you telling me you can do everything that 14 year old did with a double pedal with a single pedal? Im talkin about the link Sabe posed to drummerworld.

No.

Offline lilben

• LGM Member

No.

Ok i gotcha. I wsnt tryna be smart I was just tryna make sure cause if you could do that i'll give you $1000.
Artistik Muzik

MaestroDivine

No.

I think you misunderstood my point. My point was - because of what guys are doing with a double ... it inspires me to explore the limits of what I can do on the single.

I was saying that their was no need in tellin' me what was impossible on the single ... 'cause, I'm gon' prove/disprove it to myself, instead of accepting percieved limitations from another. Are they right? Maybe. Maybe not.

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

Stay in the keyboards section!!! ;D
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!

Offline porkpiepoppa

• LGM Member
  • i can do ALL things phil 4:13*

well.... please dont eat me alive but..... i feel that alot ALOT of people with double bass pedals or double bass drum kits just have um so they can do stuff i can do with one foot like the double flams around the set thing and just doubles or they do the machine gun(i cant STAND that mess) and i dont think doing that is very musical my opinion no one can change it. i dont care who you are if ur just doing 32nds on the double bass and soloing its EXTREMLEy annoying and sounds like abunch of noise i will say yes the masters use double pedals but hmmm... from experience imma do blackwells technique u get more respect and he uses his double pedals only when itd be impossible but i see what u mean for the 4 way independence but we gotta keep it real about 70% of the people with double pedals cant do fast enough doubles on single pedals so the got them a double pedal....my opinion..god bless

You comments about a vast majority of double pedal player sis true. However the fact of 4 way independence /interdependence is there. Which is my point.

The top guys like Thomas, Virgil, Mike Mangini, Akira Jimbo know how to work it in a musical sense be it single or double. They also have that independence thing going. As does Jojo Mayer, Keith Carlock etc.

The thing is not whether you can lpay double pedal but whether you can play music on the drumset at the highest level. The drumset deands 4-way independence PERIOD. It also demands ambidexterity (making up a word huh). NOT OPINION JUST FACT.

im finna say somethin real stupid but it popped in my mind after reading this... ok i understand the fourway independence thing but.... 1 howcome none of those guys are playing gospel music personally when i listen to them yes its musicall and they are REALLY talented but if heard that in a gospel song itd be too much going on... i know that as musicians we hsouldnt limit our self to just a few similar styles(gospel funk rnb are alike to me) but is it REALLY necessary isnt there alot of great musicians that are getting by with a single pedal... or is a double bass pedal needed cuz in gospel the only time i hear double bass pedals is at the end of the song when erones going all crazy"finale" i dont really here them use it in a beat or any thing pleez school me.. god bless sabe you have really helped ALOT in my drumming i forgot to tell you.  oh yeah and i just read the post na im sayin if you go to a geetar center drum comp(competitions is the only time i really see double bass pedals would you be impressed with a dude doing super fast patterns with 1 foot or someone doin the same thing with 2 feet? maybe thas just me sorry.. just wondering cuz ive always been taught not to respect double pedals till i came to this site now i have a  new outlook

Speed be it single or double pedal doesn't overly impress me. CONTROL does. Being able to sustain complicated patterns and not detract from the music, keep time, groove and lift the rest of the musicians to a higher level is most important to me. The control that brought Virgil, Thomas , Mike Mangin and Jojo Mayer their speed that's what impresses me, that what I want. THey play rhythmic and musical patterns. They play multiple time signatures at once. They can play patterns at show speed with their left foot. That impresses me. That is need in urban music so that folks won't lean so much on machines to fix their problems with time.

I again bring up the fact that John Blackwell jacked up a whole song at MD fest because he canno tuse his left foot. His beater either broke or came out and he  just played snare, toms and cymbals for like 3-5 minutes. Whille sitting there with a perfectly good left bass drum pedal and beater. That proves my point. All this one-side development leaves you at a disadvantage. Become complete. It has happened to me on stage... now I am by far not the player John Blackwell is but I DID PLAY ME LEFT BASS PEDAL WITH MY LEFT FOOT AND FINISHED THE SONG PROPER. What will you be able to when it happens to you.

last question i think.... ok you said john didnt play with his other foot pedal but if he did.....(you said he messed up the whole song i believe he only played without the beater for about 4 measures?) ok say he did switch to his left foot... he was playing a closed hi hat beat and he didnt have the clutch thing on his hats so how would he play left pedal and play that beat on his hats??? i think it woulda made more since if he brought his right foot over to his left pedal and played like that till they fixed his pedal but i personally think he was just nervous and didnt think to do that.... but i get what you mean im thinkin about gettin me a double pedal and working on my fourway independence thats after i get my single pedal control down PERFect thanks for all the info sabe
<!-- Copied from MySpace.com -->
Find me on MySpace a

Eccentric-Rhythm

No.

I think you misunderstood my point. My point was - because of what guys are doing with a double ... it inspires me to explore the limits of what I can do on the single.

I was saying that their was no need in tellin' me what was impossible on the single ... 'cause, I'm gon' prove/disprove it to myself, instead of accepting percieved limitations from another. Are they right? Maybe. Maybe not.

I definitely agree with what you just said. I see nothing wrong with someone having their own preference on pedals. Single or Double. I currently play single, because I am trying to learn how to use my hats more...I respect you for your opinion and point.

and ya.......Some Keyboardist coming in here and causing trauma in our Drumming world....Do what BBD said....

Stay in the keyboards section!!!  ;D
That was funny BBD... haha  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

God Bless.[/color]

Offline 3rd-Day

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Man please!!. The drummer section is the reason I joined this site. Its like the Barber Shop in here. You have to have tough skin, and I knew that coming in. So now that you have officially made me feel like family....Sit down eat ya slice of pizza and be quiet!!  ;D

Im too tall to act small.

Offline 3rd-Day

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

No.

I definitely agree with what you just said. I see nothing wrong with someone having their own preference on pedals. Single or Double. I currently play single, because I am trying to learn how to use my hats more...I respect you for your opinion and point.

and ya.......Some Keyboardist coming in here and causing trauma in our Drumming world....Do what BBD said....

That was funny BBD... haha  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D[/b]
God Bless.[/color]
>:(
Im too tall to act small.

MaestroDivine

No.

That was funny BBD... haha  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D[/b]
God Bless.[/color]
>:(

I wonder why the smiley's are yellow! 4hisglory don't like dark-skinned people!

Offline MODERN_DRUMMER

• LGM Member

LOL

Offline sambadrummer

• LGM Member

Don't hate
Drumming For my Jesus!!!!!!

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

Man please!!. The drummer section is the reason I joined this site. Its like the Barber Shop in here. You have to have tough skin, and I knew that coming in. So now that you have officially made me feel like family....Sit down eat ya slice of pizza and be quiet!!  ;D

Welcome to the Barber Shop stay away from the dude at chair 6, he is new....
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

rjthakid

I don't really understand what the argument is. 

Is there ONE GOOD REASON why someone wouldn't get a double-bass?  I don't see it.

We fear doing new things.  Because when we start doing something new, there's a period in the beginning when.....well you just suck.   :D

When you start playing double-bass, you won't be good at it.  And even if you develop your right foot to the point were you can do 96ths and flams, IMAGINE what you could do with ANOTHER FOOT!!! ::)  There is NO argument against what I said. 

How can ADDING another pedal be bad?  Is it impossible to learn how to use it effectively?

By the way, I LOVE this board.  I love exchanging Ideas.  Especially with Div because he tends to disagree with me.   :D  ;D

MaestroDivine

Is there ONE GOOD REASON why someone wouldn't get a double-bass?  I don't see it.

We fear doing new things.  Because when we start doing something new, there's a period in the beginning when.....well you just suck.   :D

When you start playing double-bass, you won't be good at it.  And even if you develop your right foot to the point were you can do 96ths and flams, IMAGINE what you could do with ANOTHER FOOT!!! ::)  There is NO argument against what I said. 

How can ADDING another pedal be bad?  Is it impossible to learn how to use it effectively?

By the way, I LOVE this board.  I love exchanging Ideas.  Especially with Div because he tends to disagree with me.   :D  ;D
o
One good reason?

'Cause they don't want to? Since when did double pedal become the standard? Not in my world. As long as I don't feel that way, I won't, and shouldn't be pressured to attempt to play one.

As far as I'm concerned, that's pretty much all that matters. I have my own reasons for not wanting to play one. It doesn't make me any less of a drummer. If someone feels that way. Then, don't expect me to send my condelences to your family, when you pass.

Offline Da_Drumma

• LGM Member
    • Da' Drumma on Myspace

Welcome to the Barber Shop stay away from the dude at chair 6, he is new....

Come on and Join the Checker Game!!!!! See if you can win!!!!

Offline gospodruma

• LGM Member
  • gospodruma/BoLu
    • gospodruma

You will probably get back-hand slapped for this one .... but, GOD BLESS YOU ANYWAY!!

J/K

I only PREFER single-pedal. I'm not going to kid myself into thinking that playing a single is more difficult.
:D :D :D :D :D :DI think personally, it's not cheating...there are things one can do with a double pedal than you can't do with one pedal..it's all a personal preference...personal opinion
2 B A MUSICIAN IS MY AIM; 2 GLORIFY GOD, MY DREAM!
http://gospodruma.hi5.com

Offline gospodruma

• LGM Member
  • gospodruma/BoLu
    • gospodruma

:D ;D :D ;D :D ;D
2 B A MUSICIAN IS MY AIM; 2 GLORIFY GOD, MY DREAM!
http://gospodruma.hi5.com

MaestroDivine

ALSO!

My lack of desire to use a double-pedal has nothing to do with fear. I've stated it NUMEROUS times on this board, I'm a minimalist at heart. Big kits make my skin crawl, frankly. Once again, it's a PREFERENCE, man. I know how strongly you feel about a double-pedal, however, at the end of the day, your opinion isn't law because you feel that way, or because some legendary drummer feels the same way.

I'm not trying to live up to another drummer's standards ... 'cause, frankly ... they couldn't set a standard for me, higher than the one I set for myself. I think for myself ... and if I ever decide to pay a double-pedal ... it won't be because every drummer in the world uses one.

Offline depondrums

• LGM Member
  • GOD IS THE ONE AND ONLY JUDGE........

I have mixed feelings about this one cuz I like guys who play double but I know guys that can do the same stuff with a single pedal.  So I'm stuck in the middle.
I PLAY TO THE GLORY OF GOD........
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up