LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Better Than Dennis...  (Read 14361 times)

Offline min_amw

• LGM Member
    • Divine Soldiers

Re: Better Than Dennis...
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2006, 09:54:55 AM »
I don't know about blowing Dennis Chambers away, but I can get you pretty close:

1. JoJo Mayer (as mentioned earlier)
2. Akira Jimbo
3. Mark Mondesir
4. Benny Greb
5. Horacio "El Negro" Hernadez
6. Rodney Holmes
7. Will Kennedy (people really sleep on this cat)
8. Antonio Sanchez (hmmmmm? borderline)

Mark Mondesir? Yea doc!
Love God. Live Long.

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2006, 11:21:17 AM »
Man, derico is a beast but he aint dennis and he sure aint better than him.

ya jive skippy!!!!!!!!!!!! I think when it comes down to like all that crazy double bass work thomas lang and v donati may have chambers but overall chambers is the better drummer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8) but then those cats gotta use double pedals chambers one foot against lang and donati on a single pedal would blow theres out of the water.!!!!!!!!!! peace 8)

Not...

They are doing double and triple-stroke rolls leading with either foot which already shows superior control  in sengle pedal movements. Do your reseach. As well Thomas and Virgil do complicated patterns on the hi hat either foot as well which is harder to incorporate than bass pedal rhythms which again, shows superior control. Lets keep facts facts. NO slight to Dennis Chambers' abilities but the fact is these guys have better control and technical prowess than he does.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

MaestroDivine

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2006, 11:55:35 AM »

ya jive skippy!!!!!!!!!!!! I think when it comes down to like all that crazy double bass work thomas lang and v donati may have chambers but overall chambers is the better drummer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8) but then those cats gotta use double pedals chambers one foot against lang and donati on a single pedal would blow theres out of the water.!!!!!!!!!! peace 8)

Not...

They are doing double and triple-stroke rolls leading with either foot which already shows superior control  in sengle pedal movements. Do your reseach. As well Thomas and Virgil do complicated patterns on the hi hat either foot as well which is harder to incorporate than bass pedal rhythms which again, shows superior control. Lets keep facts facts. NO slight to Dennis Chambers' abilities but the fact is these guys have better control and technical prowess than he does.

What about Vinnie in comparison to these dudes, Sabe?

Opinions not based purely on emotion, would be appreciated.

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2006, 12:28:01 PM »

Not...

Musically I think Vinnie has proven superiority. Technically I don't know if he can match their independence but outside of the indpendence/speed I think that he would hold his on. Seeing those guys go at it Vinnie, Thomas Lang and Virgil would take creativity to new heights. I think that they all would have to mentally go past the physical which they all ahve a fair share of. Virgil probably is the sickest thinker. Vinnie is the wise one and Thomas is a blend of both so he is the "wild card." The fact that all three compose and read on another level just leaves you at creativity out side of obviuos physical attributes. Vinnie is older and doesn't seem to push the speed thing as much. Virgil and Thomas are still doing 6 hour practice sessions. Thomas Lang obviously has them on the conditioning factor so then it goes back to the mental.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

MaestroDivine

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2006, 12:34:48 PM »

Not...

Musically I think Vinnie has proven superiority. Technically I don't know if he can match their independence but outside of the indpendence/speed I think that he would hold his on. Seeing those guys go at it Vinnie, Thomas Lang and Virgil would take creativity to new heights. I think that they all would have to mentally go past the physical which they all ahve a fair share of. Virgil probably is the sickest thinker. Vinnie is the wise one and Thomas is a blend of both so he is the "wild card." The fact that all three compose and read on another level just leaves you at creativity out side of obviuos physical attributes. Vinnie is older and doesn't seem to push the speed thing as much. Virgil and Thomas are still doing 6 hour practice sessions. Thomas Lang obviously has them on the conditioning factor so then it goes back to the mental.

So, are you going to go out on a limb and see Thomas and Virgil are the two Kings of the drum world, Sabe?!?!  ;D I'd agree.

Wait! What about Jo Jo, Sabe?

Offline smarkland38

• LGM Member
    • myspace.com

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2006, 12:41:01 PM »
My opinion!

1. Virgil Donti
2. Nat Townsley - i don't hear his name metioned much.
3. Benny Greb
4. Marco Minn
5. Thomas Lang
I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST THAT STRENGTHENS ME!!!

www.myspace.com/sidmark

MaestroDivine

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2006, 12:43:29 PM »
My opinion!

1. Virgil Donti
2. Nat Townsley - i don't hear his name metioned much.
3. Benny Greb
4. Marco Minn
5. Thomas Lang

Nat Townsley, in the same class as Dennis Chambers??

Wow. While I won't deny that he is a special drummer, I never thought of him in that way.

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2006, 12:50:28 PM »
My humble opinion:

1. Thomas Lang
2. Jojo Mayer
3. Virgil Donati

Thomas and Jojo, are my fav right now....I dont know why, they just got me hooked.

God Bless.

MaestroDivine

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2006, 12:53:58 PM »
My humble opinion:

1. Thomas Lang
2. Jojo Mayer
3. Virgil Donati

Thomas and Jojo, are my fav right now....I dont know why, they just got me hooked.

God Bless.

Frankly, I like Jo Jo better than all three. I guess he seems to be having a lot of fun with it. Virgil seems to be a little to single-minded/ambitious to have any fun. Don't know enough about Thomas yet.

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2006, 01:00:50 PM »
My humble opinion:

1. Thomas Lang
2. Jojo Mayer
3. Virgil Donati

God Bless.

Frankly, I like Jo Jo better than all three. I guess he seems to be having a lot of fun with it. Virgil seems to be a little to single-minded/ambitious to have any fun. Don't know enough about Thomas yet.

True...Jojo, has an amazing fun feel to his playing, you can just tell that he is really into it, which relates to my feelings on his playing. I have shown many, many, many clips of many drummers, to my wife & parents and the one that stood out the most to them was Jojo. So, to me that says something too. These 3 are all amazing musicians, I dont think you can go wrong with any of them.

God Bless.

MaestroDivine

« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2006, 01:03:06 PM »
My humble opinion:

1. Thomas Lang
2. Jojo Mayer
3. Virgil Donati

God Bless.

Hey, don't I owe you a clip?

True...Jojo, has an amazing fun feel to his playing, you can just tell that he is really into it, which relates to my feelings on his playing. I have shown many, many, many clips of many drummers, to my wife & parents and the one that stood out the most to them was Jojo. So, to me that says something too. These 3 are all amazing musicians, I dont think you can go wrong with any of them.

God Bless.

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2006, 01:06:12 PM »
My humble opinion:

1. Thomas Lang
2. Jojo Mayer
3. Virgil Donati

God Bless.

God Bless.

Yes sir!!! please pm me!! hahaha, i had forgot about that...I had a LONG weekend.

God Bless.

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2006, 01:16:00 PM »
My humble opinion:

1. Thomas Lang
2. Jojo Mayer
3. Virgil Donati

God Bless.

God Bless.

Yes sir!!! please pm me!! hahaha, i had forgot about that...I had a LONG weekend.

God Bless.

Downloading as we speak!! thanks a mil.

God Bless.

MaestroDivine

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2006, 01:16:07 PM »
My humble opinion:

1. Thomas Lang
2. Jojo Mayer
3. Virgil Donati

God Bless.

God Bless.

God Bless.

Sent!

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2006, 01:18:27 PM »
My humble opinion:

1. Thomas Lang
2. Jojo Mayer
3. Virgil Donati

God Bless.

God Bless.

God Bless.

Sent!

Good Size file...is it who I think it is?

MaestroDivine

« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2006, 01:30:16 PM »
My humble opinion:

1. Thomas Lang
2. Jojo Mayer
3. Virgil Donati

God Bless.

God Bless.

God Bless.

Sent!

Yep.

DeeMee

« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2006, 01:47:25 PM »
My humble opinion:

1. Thomas Lang
2. Jojo Mayer
3. Virgil Donati

God Bless.

God Bless.

God Bless.

Sent!

Yep.

MD, did you forget about your boy???????

MaestroDivine

« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2006, 01:51:42 PM »
My humble opinion:

1. Thomas Lang
2. Jojo Mayer
3. Virgil Donati

God Bless.

God Bless.

God Bless.

Sent!

Yep.

MD, did you forget about your boy???????

I don't know, man. As far as I'm concerned, he's creatively & musically the most impressive drummer, I've ever heard. That being said - he doesn't seem to be as obsessed with technique as Donati, Lang & Mayer. I mean, he clearly does have it ... however, those guys are supreme virtuosos!

As far as listening - give me Chris Dave, anyday. His bag of tricks is stupid - and he's very experimental. I love that. That's exactly how I am!

Offline soulnomad

• LGM Member
  • * Learning from your own creative mistakes creates
    • www.theobrownsoulnomad.net

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2006, 01:53:44 PM »
There are a lot of good ones out there but none at the level or status of Dennis. I think it will be a minute before anyone rises to that level. Buddy Rich, Dennis Chambers and I think Steve Smith, Vinne Colaiuta and Dave Weckl as well are at a level not many individuals achieve.
"Uptown" Theo Brown aka "The Silent Assassin"

MaestroDivine

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2006, 01:57:13 PM »
I'd also like to add...

Everyone in that has been mentioned in this post, plays a double-pedal. Chris doesn't, and has a relatively small set-up compared to these guys.

I REAAAAALLY log that. Thomas Pridgen was like ... his favorite drummers were, "Dennis Chambers, Tony Williams, Dave Weckl & Chris Dave"...

I thought it was a testament to Chris Dave's ability for him to mention his in the same breath with those dudes.

Chris is a diligent student, for real. I've seen him go head to head with Dennis - and I didn't see where Dennis was superior to him, at all. Fire was coming from his hi-hat .. and he was playing these crazy syncopated rhythms with it.

In any case ...

I don't have to convince anyone that I like Chris Dave, lol.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up