LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Better Than Dennis...  (Read 14297 times)

MaestroDivine

Re: Better Than Dennis...
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2006, 01:58:38 PM »
There are a lot of good ones out there but none at the level or status of Dennis. I think it will be a minute before anyone rises to that level. Buddy Rich, Dennis Chambers and I think Steve Smith, Vinne Colaiuta and Dave Weckl as well are at a level not many individuals achieve.

Steve Smith?

I don't agree, based on what I've heard. However, he must've blown you away. That's cool, man. Now I want to go listen to more of his playing...

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2006, 02:11:36 PM »
I'd also like to add...

Everyone in that has been mentioned in this post, plays a double-pedal. Chris doesn't, and has a relatively small set-up compared to these guys.

I REAAAAALLY log that. Thomas Pridgen was like ... his favorite drummers were, "Dennis Chambers, Tony Williams, Dave Weckl & Chris Dave"...

I thought it was a testament to Chris Dave's ability for him to mention his in the same breath with those dudes.

Chris is a diligent student, for real. I've seen him go head to head with Dennis - and I didn't see where Dennis was superior to him, at all. Fire was coming from his hi-hat .. and he was playing these crazy syncopated rhythms with it.

In any case ...

I don't have to convince anyone that I like Chris Dave, lol.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but as far as I know, Jojo plays single...

God Bless.

MaestroDivine

« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2006, 02:14:29 PM »
I'd also like to add...

Everyone in that has been mentioned in this post, plays a double-pedal. Chris doesn't, and has a relatively small set-up compared to these guys.

I REAAAAALLY log that. Thomas Pridgen was like ... his favorite drummers were, "Dennis Chambers, Tony Williams, Dave Weckl & Chris Dave"...

I thought it was a testament to Chris Dave's ability for him to mention his in the same breath with those dudes.

Chris is a diligent student, for real. I've seen him go head to head with Dennis - and I didn't see where Dennis was superior to him, at all. Fire was coming from his hi-hat .. and he was playing these crazy syncopated rhythms with it.

In any case ...

God Bless.

He does?

You know what? Maybe he does. I assumed he does. It's kind of a racial thing too, lol. I've met one Caucasian that played single pedal. So, when I see a Caucasian, I automatically assume that's what he played.

Another case of stereotyping gon' horrible bad! Hehe...

~OD

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2006, 02:15:05 PM »
Check this clip out... no double...

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/JojomayerMD2005.html

God Bless.

MaestroDivine

« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2006, 02:17:45 PM »

God Bless.

Is it okay to say, I'm even MORE impressed now???

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2006, 02:18:41 PM »
I'd also like to add...

In any case ...

God Bless.

He does?

You know what? Maybe he does. I assumed he does. It's kind of a racial thing too, lol. I've met one Caucasian that played single pedal. So, when I see a Caucasian, I automatically assume that's what he played.

Another case of stereotyping gon' horrible bad! Hehe...

~OD

HEY HEY.... I am whatever that word is... Caucas...i give up.. WHITE, and I play single. So thats 2...and I can name a whole lot more if you want.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

check that clip out.

God Bless.

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2006, 02:22:23 PM »

God Bless.

Yes...you can be even MORE impressed. that was the point of that exercise!! haha. and that was singles....to me he is the fastest on a single pedal.

God Bless.

MaestroDivine

« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2006, 02:29:28 PM »

God Bless.

Yes...you can be even MORE impressed. that was the point of that exercise!! haha. and that was singles....to me he is the fastest on a single pedal.

God Bless.

Just watched the clip...

Somebody slap the cuff's on him! He's out of control!!!!!!!!

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2006, 02:33:02 PM »

God Bless.

God Bless.

Just watched the clip...

Somebody slap the cuff's on him! He's out of control!!!!!!!!

So, how do you rank him now???

God Bless.

blaquegenius

« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2006, 03:07:55 PM »
Thomas Lang

...and, sorry, but I just dig Jojo Mayer...I like his style.

God bless.

I like his style. He has personality too - which makes his playing more interesting...

Which is interesting, considering Chris Dave is my fav, and he's often stone-faced whiling playing. Or just plain stoned...

~OD

VIOLATION....hahahaha

and for the record............I'd have to go with Akira Jimbo...

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2006, 06:49:37 PM »
JO is definitley in that same league as well. However I was mereley mentioning those double pedal cats though I believe Jojo would clown them if he played double pedal.

JOjo does drum-n-bass and Thomas does drum-n-bass as well so the would rip it up.

I would go out on a limb and say that the top 5 inspirational/creative/mind blowers today would be :

Thomas Lang (total package = techical mastery, musicianship and groove... he is not a chop monster he is dedicated)
Virgil Donati (twisted monk of drums)
Jojo Mayer (totally under-rated by most, needs to be in the limelight more)
Horacio "El Negro" Hernadez
? ....leaning toward Marco Minnemann  (but then it looks somewhat like I am only a tech junky - however when you see Extreme Drumming, particulrly his playing with the trio: piano, electric bass and drums -- all pieces which he wrote.... you go hmmmmm Whoa!)

Antionio Sanchez hasn't showed that he could really groove yet and not let technique over shadow the music... everything just comes at you mind-blowing)
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member

« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2006, 06:52:25 PM »
There are a lot of good ones out there but none at the level or status of Dennis. I think it will be a minute before anyone rises to that level. Buddy Rich, Dennis Chambers and I think Steve Smith, Vinne Colaiuta and Dave Weckl as well are at a level not many individuals achieve.

As working cats I'd have to agree.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member

« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2006, 06:53:21 PM »
I'd also like to add...

In any case ...

Jojo is a single pedal guy...

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member

« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2006, 06:57:46 PM »
Blaquegenious mentioned Akira.

Akira is strictly about making music. He is the show. That was actually the first clinic I ever saw (I thought before it the second but actually I saw him before seeing Virgil). Everything I have seen awith Akira has been totally musical.

However... I am ready for him to go to another level. He has mastered what he does many times over. It is starting to get boring.

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member

« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2006, 06:59:33 PM »
Nat Townesly... we need to see him with more monsters or a solo album or vid.

MaestroDivine

« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2006, 07:02:04 PM »
JO is definitley in that same league as well. However I was mereley mentioning those double pedal cats though I believe Jojo would clown them if he played double pedal.

JOjo does drum-n-bass and Thomas does drum-n-bass as well so the would rip it up.

I would go out on a limb and say that the top 5 inspirational/creative/mind blowers today would be :

Thomas Lang (total package = techical mastery, musicianship and groove... he is not a chop monster he is dedicated)
? ....leaning toward Marco Minnemann  (but then it looks somewhat like I am only a tech junky - however when you see Extreme Drumming, particulrly his playing with the trio: piano, electric bass and drums -- all pieces which he wrote.... you go hmmmmm Whoa!)

Antionio Sanchez hasn't showed that he could really groove yet and not let technique over shadow the music... everything just comes at you mind-blowing)

Ha.

Define "twisted monk".

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member

« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2006, 07:09:38 PM »

Ha.

Define "twisted monk".

He got off the plane in Memphis and setup asked what time the clinic started (it was like 12:30-1 pm at the time).. the clinic started at 7pm . He freaked and said, I gotta practice and proceeded to got full out for 6 hours. We're downstairs waiting for the doors to open and he has the ceiling doing the trampoline. He chages and goes another 2 hours.

I heard from a pro that that 's all he does. Like no real life, just drums.

MaestroDivine

« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2006, 07:15:27 PM »

Ha.

Define "twisted monk".

He got off the plane in Memphis and setup asked what time the clinic started (it was like 12:30-1 pm at the time).. the clinic started at 7pm . He freaked and said, I gotta practice and proceeded to got full out for 6 hours. We're downstairs waiting for the doors to open and he has the ceiling doing the trampoline. He chages and goes another 2 hours.

I heard from a pro that that 's all he does. Like no real life, just drums.

I see. I thought you meant he was crazy, lol. Well, maybe that is a tad bit obsessive, lol.

~OD

Offline drumadic

• LGM Member

« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2006, 08:45:00 PM »
JoJo
Vinnie
Weckl

Most musical monster drummers out there.Order may vary according to my mood.I've been into Vinnie for 5 years 24/7 and i don't really listen to Dave anymore but used to alot.

Thomas
Virgil
Marco.

Virg.is my favourite out of those three.He's the most musical.Marco and Thomas are beasts as well but they sound too robotic,too perfect ,too stone cold to me.I don't feel like bobbing my head when listening to them.That's why i don't even bother.LOl

Jojo and Vinnie remain my favourites however.They make drumming look so easy it's not even funny.So musical with chops for days but they play,first and foremost,for the sake of music,not the instrument.Feel me?

blaquegenius

« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2006, 09:57:52 PM »
Blaquegenious mentioned Akira.

Akira is strictly about making music. He is the show. That was actually the first clinic I ever saw (I thought before it the second but actually I saw him before seeing Virgil). Everything I have seen awith Akira has been totally musical.

However... I am ready for him to go to another level. He has mastered what he does many times over. It is starting to get boring.

Akira is very musical, I have to agree with that statement, as well as seeing him go to another level. JoJo is mos def a kat that's under rated. On the real, there are so many kats who are doing it big, I wouldn't say they get over looked, I think a lot of times when someone says drums, the first thing folks may blurt out is Dennis, Dave or some others... but dudes like Chris Dave, JoJo, El Negro, Robby Ameen, Gene Lake, Thomas Lang, these kats are putting it down. Truthfully I like Dennis Chambers a lot, but I'm finding myself searchin out other drummers.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up