LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Gospel Chops DVD  (Read 6435 times)

Offline cymbalman

• LGM Member
  • meet cymbalmans church baby (house baby is red)

Re: Gospel Chops DVD
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2006, 10:40:21 PM »
eeehhhhhhhhhh.....*nodds head from side to side* I was wit you until this comment......everything else i agree though.....but umerauh yeah as far as my opinion, i love thomas's rudimental base wit the kit.....i take a whole lot away from what he does...and then im able to understand everybody else's chops...... just goes to show again about the thing we've all heard about knowing all  of your rudiments and achieving greatness on the set....you know the same application with knowing all your scales and achieving greatness on whatever it is that you play......yeah he's flippin great (ITS LIKE WHEN I HEAR HIM IT BE LIKE WHAT THE FLIIP..........Napolean Dynomite......lol)

... It's not possible to play drums, 'cause you love them, and for no other reason!......

Only1PersonUnderstansMe&TheyNeverRealyUnderstoodMe

Offline drumzalicious

• LGM Member
    • Calvin Fenner Website

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2006, 10:56:01 PM »
Naw doc, I'm not new if you look at my posts.  Neither was the comment immature its just that when someone doesn't impress you ,you must be able to surpass them or on a higher level.   That's the impression I get.

A person's style can simply be unappealing to you. You've never bought a cd that you didn't like? If so, could you have done better?

I always like to ask people - if I have to be just as good or better to be unimpressed, don't you have to be great to RECOGNIZE greatness? How are you able to call Pridgen great, if you can't play what he does? Are you callin' him great because he's better than you? You do realize your perspective on such a matter, oftentimes, is based on your ability, or lack theirof.

Meaning?

If his opinion on Thomas's playing is no good, because he's not on that level - then neither is your opinion of Thomas, because you can only compare & contrast your ability with Pridgen's. Ultimately, making your opinion wholly subjective.

~OD

Point blank, and I say this regardless of the moderators, NOBODY COMMENTING ON THIS FORUM IS GONNA SIT DOWN AN HAND IT TO THOMAS PRIDGEN. THATS HANDS DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Until I see anybody that has time to write hundreds or thousands of posts on this site apose to gigging, sit down on the set with legends such as Dave Weckl, Vinnie Colaiuta, Dennis Chambers, Tony Williams ect.......... and hand them a nice piece, nothing you say is valid. Because Thomas has done all of the above, including winning the Guitar Center Drum off in the adult division at the age of 8! Modern Drummer has also ranked him at the top of being one of the worlds greatest drummers of our time and erra, dubbing him a LIVING LEDGEND! Oooops Im sorry I didnt catch ANY of your names, WHO ARE YOU?

HOLLA BACK!

That's right!

If you don't have a name known through out the world, in your particular field, then you're no good! The only people who have any talent, are those who learned from legends, have had articles written up about them, and don't spend a lo of time on this website! It's not possible that you may have just not be recognized yet! It's not possible that maybe you don't want to be a touring musician! It's not possible to play drums, 'cause you love them, and for no other reason!

That's why Thomas Pridgen will forever be superior to all of us - because we don't have his name, connections, & resume!

i dont know about being forever superior. in fact what makes him superior to him now?? nothing but our confidence in ourselves and us giving into this persons talent and not believing in our own.

just my opinion.

BTW i wasn't contradicting you when i said you were sleeping on the wrong people i fully understand that what appeals to me may not appeal to you.

Offline cymbalman

• LGM Member
  • meet cymbalmans church baby (house baby is red)

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2006, 11:08:40 PM »
well said my friend.........well said
Only1PersonUnderstansMe&TheyNeverRealyUnderstoodMe

Offline Audiocr381ve

• LGM Member
  • Disgusting Board

« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2006, 11:08:59 PM »
Naw doc, I'm not new if you look at my posts.  Neither was the comment immature its just that when someone doesn't impress you ,you must be able to surpass them or on a higher level.   That's the impression I get.

A person's style can simply be unappealing to you. You've never bought a cd that you didn't like? If so, could you have done better?

I always like to ask people - if I have to be just as good or better to be unimpressed, don't you have to be great to RECOGNIZE greatness? How are you able to call Pridgen great, if you can't play what he does? Are you callin' him great because he's better than you? You do realize your perspective on such a matter, oftentimes, is based on your ability, or lack theirof.

Meaning?

If his opinion on Thomas's playing is no good, because he's not on that level - then neither is your opinion of Thomas, because you can only compare & contrast your ability with Pridgen's. Ultimately, making your opinion wholly subjective.

~OD

Maestro, If I was smart enough to say all of that, I would of said it ! Thats exactly what I mean.

Why do I feel that thomas didn't impress me in the DVD is what you're trying to figure out huh?

Well, I watched the DVD and saw what he was doing, and to me it sounded like everytime it was his turn to take a few bars of time, it was at 100mph the entire time. He was alittle off time to me  and I thought to myself "Am I so below his level that my brain can't interpret what he's doing, or is he just playing sloppy and off time at certain parts?"

After showing the DVD to 10 to 15 of my musician friends(guitarists, bassists, keyboardists) , it completely confirmed what I was feeling. It's not that I think he is a bad drummer at all, because he's just vommit on the skins (a BIG compliment) , but as far as the DVD goes, it didn't capture anything impressive and therefore IT DIDN'T IMPRESS ME.

Offline Audiocr381ve

• LGM Member
  • Disgusting Board

« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2006, 11:14:36 PM »
AHHH I srewed up my words.

Thomas is nothing short of incredible. He's very impressive. Regarding my opinion on him on the SHED SESSIONS DVD, I've seen cooler things from him and more tasty soloing is ALL I'm saying.

MaestroDivine

« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2006, 06:12:30 AM »

Meaning?

~OD

Point blank, and I say this regardless of the moderators, NOBODY COMMENTING ON THIS FORUM IS GONNA SIT DOWN AN HAND IT TO THOMAS PRIDGEN. THATS HANDS DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Until I see anybody that has time to write hundreds or thousands of posts on this site apose to gigging, sit down on the set with legends such as Dave Weckl, Vinnie Colaiuta, Dennis Chambers, Tony Williams ect.......... and hand them a nice piece, nothing you say is valid. Because Thomas has done all of the above, including winning the Guitar Center Drum off in the adult division at the age of 8! Modern Drummer has also ranked him at the top of being one of the worlds greatest drummers of our time and erra, dubbing him a LIVING LEDGEND! Oooops Im sorry I didnt catch ANY of your names, WHO ARE YOU?

HOLLA BACK!

That's right!

If you don't have a name known through out the world, in your particular field, then you're no good! The only people who have any talent, are those who learned from legends, have had articles written up about them, and don't spend a lo of time on this website! It's not possible that you may have just not be recognized yet! It's not possible that maybe you don't want to be a touring musician! It's not possible to play drums, 'cause you love them, and for no other reason!

That's why Thomas Pridgen will forever be superior to all of us - because we don't have his name, connections, & resume!

i dont know about being forever superior. in fact what makes him superior to him now?? nothing but our confidence in ourselves and us giving into this persons talent and not believing in our own.

just my opinion.

BTW i wasn't contradicting you when i said you were sleeping on the wrong people i fully understand that what appeals to me may not appeal to you.

Dude, I was being very sarcastic. I disagreeing with that dude - however, I was being very sarcastic about it.

In other words?

What I said in the post, is the exact opposite of how I feel.

MaestroDivine

« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2006, 06:19:16 AM »
eeehhhhhhhhhh.....*nodds head from side to side* I was wit you until this comment......everything else i agree though.....but umerauh yeah as far as my opinion, i love thomas's rudimental base wit the kit.....i take a whole lot away from what he does...and then im able to understand everybody else's chops...... just goes to show again about the thing we've all heard about knowing all  of your rudiments and achieving greatness on the set....you know the same application with knowing all your scales and achieving greatness on whatever it is that you play......yeah he's flippin great (ITS LIKE WHEN I HEAR HIM IT BE LIKE WHAT THE FLIIP..........Napolean Dynomite......lol)

... It's not possible to play drums, 'cause you love them, and for no other reason!......

Once again. I was being sarcastic the entire post. I mean, that post was literally dripping with sarcasm, man!

I BELIEVE it's possible to play drums, just 'cause you love them. How could anyone say you can't. That wouldn't make sense.

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2006, 08:34:41 AM »

Meaning?

~OD

HOLLA BACK!

MODS...SORRY IN ADVANCE....and please dont take me wrong, but I need to voice my opinion....

THIS IS JUST STRAIGHT UP BOLGONA!!!!!!

??????????????? RAWBIDNES...or however the GHETTO spelling is, WHERE in the world is that coming from???? YOU HAVE 23 POSTS.... YOU DONT KNOW WHO HALF OF THESE PEOPLE ARE THAT POST ON THIS SITE. So what makes you think you know what you are saying?... AND SO YOU KNOW....There are plenty of Professional Drummers on this site that would run Circles around Thomas. So get a grip. Maybe God has called them to a Higher calling rather than cussing out the police....thats why they are not known.

And I have no disrespect towards Thomas at all. He is a good drummer...GOOD. not great, thats my opinion. I am not trying to put him down. we all just feel our own way.

You could have come on here, in a Christian Manner and make your statement...but the way you are approaching it is how "HOMIES" or "DAWGS" would approach it on the streets....

I WISH HALF THE PEOPLE ON HERE COULD LEARN HOW TO POST WITHOUT BEING HARD UP AND TRYING TO SHOW HOW BAD THEY ARE....ITS GETTING OLD!

Bottom line... You have your opinion, address it properly....dont come with an attitude and accusations unless you really know what you are talking about...

I say all of this in love and behalf of those on here that know what they are doing.

God Bless.

Offline min_amw

• LGM Member
    • Divine Soldiers

« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2006, 09:45:04 AM »
It seems like the more someone talks about this DVD, the more crap like this gets started. In the famous words of Rodney King "Can't we all just.......get along?"---REALLY!
Love God. Live Long.

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2006, 10:06:44 AM »
It seems like the more someone talks about this DVD, the more crap like this gets started. In the famous words of Rodney King "Can't we all just.......get along?"---REALLY!

TRUE... as JFunky said, this DVD is getting a really sour taste!!! a whole lot of feelings getting flustered about it...and its not even from the guys that are playing on the DVD! figure that one out. what we need is a:

**GROUP HUG**

;D ;D ;D ;D

God Bless.

JFunky

« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2006, 10:14:19 AM »
Ah man, not a "Group Hug". ;) 

Seriously, this DVD is causing too much drama on here.  Could it be.............haterism ???  You know, the old "they should've had me in their Video type thing?" ???

Offline min_amw

• LGM Member
    • Divine Soldiers

« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2006, 10:14:51 AM »
Singin' "People all over the world, join hands, start a love train, love train. People all over the world....." LOL
Love God. Live Long.

Offline tenspeed

• LGM Member
  • "As much as possible live at Peace with all men"

« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2006, 10:37:30 AM »
This DVD is good for what it's worth.... Shedding,,,not Instructional. Yeah I'm sure we can all learn some things from it.
But I would like to hear them talk and tell me how they came up with some of those ideas. "teach a man to fish...." you know the rest. Kuddo's for them putting this together. I think we as a musicial community have come together more with the help of the net,and DVD's like this.

I'm sure the next one will be even more structured and informational.

Oh and for the record for those of you who thought Jeremy was taking over, listen to the comments after the shed.
J thanks them for letting him Lead the Session. So that was the intent of the producer from the jump.

Peace

Offline Audiocr381ve

• LGM Member
  • Disgusting Board

« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2006, 01:03:18 PM »
I agree with tenspeed.

E-R you are right on the money.

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2006, 01:32:50 PM »
I agree with tenspeed.

E-R you are right on the money.

Thanks!

God Bless.

Offline Rawbiznes

• LGM Member
  • My Home Girls
    • My Myspace Page

« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2006, 04:22:56 PM »
Everybody has their opinion, I just cant stand people bringin down my boys like that. 4real 4real, I play with Thomas on the regular, we been playin together for most of our careers. And im not bias in anything I say, but 4real, Ive seen this dude sit down with legends, that most keyword "GOSPEL" drummers cant do. I myself am an above average gospel drummer too, so when I say these things, I dont say them without though. I think that you guys just need to bear witness to some of the things Ive seen 1st hand. Its all good though, judge him off of a 45 minute dvd if you want. I mean as far as Im concerned that dvd was good for what it was worth. But It wasnt good enough for anybody to pass judgement on any drummer on that tape because Ive heard everybody on there do better! Now as for other the cat that was talkin crazy earlier, its all good. Yes, I do have 23 posts. Ive also had this account for a few YEARS! It just kills me because Im still getting picked on by a STEWARD,lol. Just Kidding, Its all good though, I feel you man.

P.S.
Look for the ghetto spelling of RAWBIZNES on the new Making The Band 3 album, I probably wont be posting for a while, cause Ill be working on that. We all in this together, CAINT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?
Holla @cha Boi!,
Tim

Offline Willie L. Terry Jr

• LGM Member

« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2006, 11:16:26 PM »
Biz...forget all the drama man.  Let me hold one of the MTDs baby!  I'm almost sold on them but I'm not quite there so if you know someone wanting to let a 635 go...holla at your boy. 

Shedz...can't order it from here but bigups to all musicians doing they thang.  I know none of those cats had people beefing in mind when they made it so lets respect them as fellow Levites.  It's all subjective anyway...paradigms shape our perspectives.  It depends on what glasses you are wearing.  If you have you 15/20 year veteran glasses on, you're looking for a J Haynes with more musicial skill.  If you're 1/5 year veteran, the tendancy is to focus on fast chops etc.  As a bassist, I like for my drummer to be musicial with dymanics and nuances like someone said.  You gotta pull the best out in me.

...I might get a chance to play or just view one of these cats on the Shedz video week after next. 

T.J.
Psalms 144:1  Blessed be the Lord my rock who teaches my hands to war and my FINGAZ to fight!

Offline TNTNT

• LGM Member

« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2006, 11:31:40 PM »
I'M  LIKE IT ALL IN THE RIGHT CONTEXT,  WHEN A GUY GROOVES HARD  AND I KNOW HE HAS ALOT MORE ABILITY    I GET SO EXCITED    LIKE VINNIE WITH FAITH HILL   TO BE DISIPLINE  WITH THE AMO    IS SO INCREDIBLE TO ME   I SAY LEARN EVERY CHOP YOU CAN ,BE FAST AS YOU CAN , JUST DO IT AT THE RIGHT TIME, IN THE RIGHT SITUATION

Offline Willie L. Terry Jr

• LGM Member

« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2006, 03:21:13 AM »
tntnt,

Check it though...Isn't that so much like life.  I mean the older you get the wiser.  I hate to draw the simularities but music is kinda like love making.  Like you said, you have all the chops but you groove and just give them enough to know, "hey, maybe this guy can really kill."  But just chilll in the cutt.  Give them enough to make them come back.  Don't just blow your whad in the first 2 minutes.  Like loving making, the art of the groove comes over time and experience.  The other factor in that is, that it's not about just you.  Again like love making, it's about intimacy.  You have to make sure that the other musicians are feeling you too.  That's why I'm almost all against shedding...because the focus has not become musicianship.  Growing as a musician but the focus has become getting yours.  That's not music, that's making noise!  That's why I love my current band, through years of playing for the same ministry, we've developed a relationship deeper than playing over each other.  We listen to each other and stay in tune to what one another does.

Just my 2...

T.J.
Psalms 144:1  Blessed be the Lord my rock who teaches my hands to war and my FINGAZ to fight!

Offline TNTNT

• LGM Member

« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2006, 08:37:39 AM »
I AGREE WITH YOU 99%..         BUT I LOOK AT SHEDDING AS A (AND ONE SPORT) NOT A SERIOUS PROFESSINAL GAME   LIKE  JORDAN,   LIKE THE DUDE HOT SAUCE, IN THAT CONTEXT IN THAT SETTING  ITS FINE  , I THINK COMPEDITINESS IS GOOD (OFF STAGE) IN FUN,     IT DRIVES YOU TO COME BACK STRONGER   LIKE IN SPORTS    I'VE BEEN TOURING A LONG TIME  AND WHEN I PLAY MUSIC, I PLAY MUSIC, BUT WHEN THE KIDS ARE HERE, WE DOG FIGHT AND LET IT ALL OUT  IN CHRIST   IN GOOD FUN
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up