LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: *AnyBody Help!!*  (Read 2064 times)

Offline MsB3

• LGM Member
  • Its all about JESUS

*AnyBody Help!!*
« on: March 16, 2004, 09:53:16 AM »
hi, i was wondering if anyone knew the correct HAND POSITIONS when playing chords like when progressing?? and has anyone heard of "the crawling effect" when moving from chord to chord?? Someone help me out please! God Bless :P  :P
GOSH24 -YOUTUBE

Offline aljeres

• LGM Member
  • IT'S ALL THAT MATTERS......
    • www.algieres.com

WELL
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004, 12:37:59 AM »
IM NOT SURE WHAT YOUR ASKING FOR, BUT NO MATTER WHAT POSITION OR INVERSION YOUR GIONG TO, YOU WANT TO STAY CONNECTED FROM CHORD TO CHORD...................ALMOST LIKE: TOUCHING THE CHORD YOUR GOING TO, WHILE YOUR STILL ON THE CHORD YOUR LEAVING,, TO BEST HAVE THIS EFFECT, LEARN TO USE CHORD INVERSIONS, THAT ARE CLOSER, TO YOUR NEXT MOVE!!!!!!!!!!! DONT PLAY ALL OVER THE PLACE!!!!!!!!!! PLUS YOU WILL INCREASE YOUR FLUITITY!!!!!!!!! AND YOUR SPEED WILL INCREASE................MOST OF ALL, BE YOURSELF, AND PRACTICE............. GIERES!!!!!!!!!!!
gieres.....

god is greatly to be praised!!!!!!!!!

Offline mowill

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: *AnyBody Help!!*STAY CONNECTED FROM CHORD TO CHORD
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 08:58:15 AM »
Aljeres, can you give examples of how to stay connected from chord to chord?

Thanks

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

Re: *AnyBody Help!!*
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 09:17:59 AM »
The best way to move smootly from chord to chord is to use a note(s) from the previous chord.  This means that if 2 chords have at least one note in common, keep your finger on that note for both chords, then move your other fingers for the rest of the chords.  Here is an examle using the 1-4 progression:

Key C  LH/RH

C / C-E-G
F / F-A-C
(repeat)

Now, those are root position chords, and in order for you to play those chords as they are written, you have to jump to each chord.  Now, let's look at how we can use inversions to avoid jumping for each chord:

Look at the first 2 chords:  C-E-G  &  F-A-C   What note(s) do they have in common, if any?   Answer:  C   Let's play those 2 chords, but keep a finger on C for both of them:

C / C-E-G
F / C-F-A

You see that?  There was no jumping from the 1st chord to the other one because we didn't go anywhere.  Now, that's if you are starting with a root position chord.  What about a 1st inversion chord?  Well, we can do the same thing:

C / E-G-C
F / F-A-C

You see that?  We still kept 1 finger on C and everthing else moved.  So, not only does it work for root position chords, it works for any inversion of the chords, as long as they have at least 1 note in common.

That's basically the idea of it.  In the event that you come across 2 chords that don't have any notes in common, then you should use the closest inversion so that you don't jump too much.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline Bronzee

• LGM Member
  • I'm a praiser!!
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/bronzeey1

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 01:46:00 PM »
hi, i was wondering if anyone knew the correct HAND POSITIONS when playing chords like when progressing?? and has anyone heard of "the crawling effect" when moving from chord to chord?? Someone help me out please! God Bless :P  :P

Glad u asked that question..now, I understand how to play more smoothly.  Thanks Block and al. :)

Offline Maestro87

• LGM Member
    • Facebook Profile

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 01:49:03 PM »
What T-Block was referring to was a technique called voice leading.  Basic rule of thumb in a simplified term is to kepp the common tones between both chords if possible.  C chord consists of C, E, G, and the F chord consists of F, A, C.  The common tone is the C and therefore that note remains the same between the chords.  Try learning this progression in all the keys with the least amount of movement to whatever inversion of the next chord is necessary

I - IV - I - ii - V7 - I

the lowercase indicates a minor chord while the rest are major.
"Stay Fly, Stay Fresh, God Bless"
Dameron Growe
Pages: [1]   Go Up