LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question for Brass and Wind Players  (Read 3212 times)

Offline Docdb04

• LGM Member
  • I Stand At the Door and Knock

Question for Brass and Wind Players
« on: July 20, 2010, 02:31:43 PM »
I am currently writing parts for a brass section.  This is my first time, so I want to make sure of a few things. 

1. Is the standard trumpet a Bb or C trumpet?  When I ask if the trumpet was a Bb or C trumpet they just said standard.  I've read that trumpet players can generally transpose the music if it is written for another trumpet.  Is this true?

2. I am not sure of what type of Saxaphone they have, so I started writing the parts for Alto Sax.  Will the same method (From question #1 - transposition) apply for saxaphone players as well?

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Question for Brass and Wind Players
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 02:58:15 PM »
1. Bb is Standard for Trumpet. Write the part 1 whole step up (C=D in the part)

2. Tenor Sax is Bb, same transposition as Trumpet.
Alto Sax is Eb, so write the part a Major 6th up to compensate. (C=A)
No matter what kind of Sax, part is written in TREBLE CLEF.

For more on transposing instruments and writing parts - http://cnx.org/content/m10672/latest/

Offline Docdb04

• LGM Member
  • I Stand At the Door and Knock

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 03:30:55 PM »
Thanks.  Very helpful.

rystofersmith01

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 06:05:04 AM »
Classified ads in building section are arranged in several categories.carpentry

Offline bugs0000

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 10:11:00 PM »
for Eb alto .. some one have the music for More than anything by Smokie Norful.. Please help.. Thanks Ty Rivera

markjames

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 08:14:25 AM »
Hi,

Bozen Brass offers workshops and training for trumpet, horn and this is an interesting question to be sure, and one I hope to answer by the Woodwinds are part of the wind section but all woodwind instruments.

Thanks!

Offline docjohn

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 07:52:03 AM »
hey Bet;I think bari sax(Eb) might be written in bass cleft because it overlays with bass trombone.

To transpose Eb instruments-I always found it better to think a minor third down in transposing .If you have a C accompanist a 6 th up or a 1/3 down still puts you in A.

If you want to make your keys sound more "horny" try this: record your keys.Now,transpose your keys to Bb for trumpet/tenor,play the transposed line down.So, you have keys in C;trumpet/tenor in D.

Go back to the transpose button-select Eb and alto sound,play the transposed part in A.So;if you did a stereo recording of the keys,mix the Bb/Eb parts on different channels-you have a 4 channel recording that will sound more "real".

The physical dif will add life since fingers will have different note strike/timing like a real section.

Offline docjohn

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 07:36:52 AM »
I know they are heavy!!!!and require a LOT of breath!  I played clarinet in hs band,took an alto home for the summer,came in to stage band in sept and wound up playing 2 nd tenor.Tried the b-sax for 15 minutes;a 6'5 bud of mine played it.At 5'9''  ,140 lbs-too much for me!

Btw-i saw they still have variations of those fake books in dif keys for small ensembles.Hal lenord publishing-I think
Pages: [1]   Go Up