LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Male Chorus Group *caugh*  (Read 3564 times)

Offline chrisjr4

• LGM Member
    • http://members.blackplanet.com/chris_jr4/

Male Chorus Group *caugh*
« on: January 09, 2006, 09:30:18 AM »
First of, I have to say that personally, I really strongly dislike "Male chorus Groups"....  :? . Maybe I'm too young to appreciate it or something? :D

... BUT, that's not my point. Some men at my church want to one. I'd like to know if anyone can convince me that they're cool. Or, if there are male chorus group songs that aren't *caugh 2x* bad.

Offline LadyWiz

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Praise is what I do

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 10:10:49 AM »
When you say "male chorus", are you referring to quartet-style music?  If so, think of Keith "Wonderboy" Johnson, Mighty Clouds of Joy and Williams Brothers.

I like that kind of music ~ I just feel sorry for the musicians that play the hook over and over and over......... :!:  :lol:  :lol: But they hold it down pretty tight!

Offline SisterT

• Senior Moderator
  • LGM Member
  • New Look, Still Divalicious!
    • Earnest and Roline Ministries

Re: Male Chorus Group *caugh*
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 10:18:01 AM »
Quote from: chrisjr4
First of, I have to say that personally, I really strongly dislike "Male chorus Groups"....  :? . Maybe I'm too young to appreciate it or something? :D

... BUT, that's not my point. Some men at my church want to one. I'd like to know if anyone can convince me that they're cool. Or, if there are male chorus group songs that aren't *caugh 2x* bad.

I don't particularly care for the quartet style of music. However, when the men at the previous church I served approached me about starting such a group I okayed it. If you want to reach a wide range of people, especially the senior saints, you will have to have a variety of music.

Too often in todays churches we have tossed out the old school stuff. You rarely hear hymns, quartet stuff, etc. You can't forget about the old folks.

Offline LadyWiz

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Praise is what I do

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 10:34:36 AM »
Quote from: SisterT
Quote from: chrisjr4

I don't particularly care for the quartet style of music. However, when the men at the previous church I served approached me about starting such a group I okayed it. If you want to reach a wide range of people, especially the senior saints, you will have to have a variety of music.

Too often in todays churches we have tossed out the old school stuff. You rarely hear hymns, quartet stuff, etc. You can't forget about the old folks.

So true, SisterT! I thank God for the hymns we sang as a child ~ the pastor back then was very old school & he was a great lover of good, quality music. Back then, all we sang were hymns and an anthem was thrown in every now & then for variety.

That pastor, the late EHE Gilbert, used to always say, "If you can sing a hymn, you can sing anything!" which I truly believe. Even today, when our choir does happen to pull out an old hymn, many of them I can sing (all verses) without opening a hymnal!   8O

Offline Val215

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Virtuously Gifted

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 10:37:21 AM »
I started a male choir at my church a few years ago and they have been an absolute blessing. We don't do the quartet thing because I don't like that kind of music, especially when the musicians are too loud and you can't hear the choir. We just have keyboard & drums at my church. We don't play too loud and the male choir sounds very good. The have great harmony. Sometimes we take it back old school with songs like "Lord I know you've been so good, I'm still here, Send me I'll go, Low down chariot, Jordan river, Trouble in my way...etc." Besides, starting that male choir gave the other choir members a break from singing so that they can minister in other areas. And too, having a male choir sets a good example for the younger boys (our male choir consists of older men) by letting them know that there are still men working for God in the church (especially in our church where the women are dominate).
Check me out on Facebook at Virtuously Gifted and on Instagram at virtuouslygifted_215

Offline chrisjr4

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 04:30:19 PM »
Yes, I'm talking about the Kieth "Wonderboy" Johnson type groups lol. I do think there will be a lot of saints who will love to hear them (my dad is one of them lol) so, I do think those who don't care for the music should bear with it for the sake of harmony in the body.

I'm thankful that my church isn't one of the churches that has tossed out the old skool stuff. I think most of we "youth" could sing most of the hymns' verses by heart. Those songs you can depend on to  contain great doctrine. Which is good.

I guess, based off of being considerate of others, I should be more... um.. *insert word* of the guys who want to start their group... If only so Mrs. Mico can have her 'Old Skool' music lol...

Just don't ask me to join. xP

Offline chrisjr4

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 04:35:24 PM »
P.S. I do have to say you all are right about the old skool music being best. James Cleveland, the Mass Choirs, ect. Are the best music in gospel.

Offline Long Fingers

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 09:18:19 AM »
Any songs from Men of Standard, The Winans, or GMWA Men of Promise. I love the songs that they have, not the quartet style that ostly other male groups have. Of course you can go to amazon.com or samgoody.com to listen to clips from their albums to judge for yourself.

churchyreal

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 09:25:30 AM »
I'm having a hard time getting the male chorus at my church to learn new songs and stop arguing. See our church has just got started back after getting rid of some mess in our church and most of the men just came back to the church.

Have of them have never sung in a choir. Almost after every practice they are always arguing about songs or something done in the choir. I'm not very strict when it comes to music but I feel like I might have to get strict. Can anybody give me any tips in conducting a male chorus please?

I'll appreciate the help

Offline dingster1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • DINGTHING

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2006, 02:34:39 PM »
speaking of Male groups.. the Sensational Nightengales will be at our church this sunday night again. I'll be working this time so I'll miss it. They are a dying breed...

Offline BBoy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Let's Praise Jesus Together!

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2006, 03:48:40 PM »
How about Commissioned, or the Katinas? They are very anointed. I also like Take 6, the Mighty Clouds of Joy, and the ONeal Twins.

Be Blessed  :lol:
Joshua 1: 7, 8

Bro_JT

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2006, 10:47:19 PM »
Take 6 is off da hook. What about Undivided, Blind Boys of Alabama, or The Seven Sons of Soul?

Offline chrisjr4

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2006, 09:23:20 AM »
I never really thought of commissioned, take 6, ect. as male chorus groups...but I guess they are!

Offline Dwalk

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2006, 12:05:53 PM »
My pastor recently asked me to start a male choir and he had some good logic for it. He wanted it because if we can get the males to show up and sing at church and at engagements the majority of the church will be there. The women of the church are more faithful when it comes to attendance and traveling with the pastor. But when the males go, their wives are usually with them and they give good support sitting in the pews when we sing. So it's a good way to increase attendance, and in turn fellowship in the church.

That being said I'm a bass player and a recent convert to the church. Not much of a singer at all. I want to know how do we find out what we sing (alto, bass) and how should we position ourselves on the choir? If this is not the place for this please lead me to the right board.

Thanks

Offline MODERN_DRUMMER

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2006, 10:50:51 PM »
funny post!

Offline PianoWizard

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • 費思是能力到不恐慌

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2006, 06:02:08 PM »
Hey Guys,

I'm the pianist/keyboardist for our churches mens choir were we have rehearsals every Tuesday night. We started this in 2002 as we felt lead to have a mens outreach. At first it was just a few men in the choir but over the years it has grown immensely and now we as men get a chance to sing, read and help one another as men in Christ.

I enjoy it and wouldn't want to change it, as it helps all men young and old to have an active role in church.

As I have posted before, our church partakes of a 'Brothers & Sisters' Sunday whereby for one Sunday a month either the 'Brothers or the Sisters' take full control of the service. Its not to put a divide in the males and females in the church but just a chance to encourage those who are younger and train them up in a way that is right and prepare them to take an active role for Christ as men and women.

PianoWiz...

Offline 3rd-Day

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2006, 05:38:29 PM »
My only thing about male choirs is when they realize that they doing good they start hype and you cant understand what they are saying. They start sounding llike Scooby Doo.  Have me on the organ crackin up!    "Reezus Rill Rork Rit Rout". ;D
Im too tall to act small.

Offline ferrente

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Lord Can Do All Things!

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2006, 12:27:55 AM »
At my Church we have a Male Choir (not a Male Chorus)

We sing Old School songs and new songs.

I Mainly teach many of the James Cleveland style of songs and some of the
Sam Cooke Gospel songs.
Trust in the Lord and do good so shalt thou dwell in the land and verily thou shalt be fed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up