LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Overlooked (Underrated) BOOK...........  (Read 571 times)

Offline Cherri

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Imperial Majesty! $200,000...

The Overlooked (Underrated) BOOK...........
« on: March 08, 2006, 11:37:37 AM »
I stumbled across this book last Friday, “Teach Yourself Drums” by: Seth Goldberg, at an underrated local music store. Fam this book is a great book for anyone need to learn to read music or how to read/count each of the 26 Rudiments. The book for from beginning to end he has applied every hand sticking (noted below) and also how to read (noted above) “ EACH and EVERY” pattern within. The back of the book has the 26 Rudiments supplied with every hand sticking (noted below) and how to read/count every rudiment (noted above) “EACH and EVERY ONE.” This is great book definitely overlooked in my opinion through my endeavor when I was searching for books to learn to read. I had to look for some other material over the last few days, so I took the book along to some of the other popular music store in the area to ask their opinions, 5 stores to be exact. Two of them are going to stock the book. One said, “ he know he drum teachers wouldn’t like it. His drum teacher walked in right after, we showed him the book and his response was.” Although there is NO substitute for a good teacher this book is definitely a great resource if you couldn’t afford lessons.” He said he might use it to help his student with counting and understanding the rudiments, if that causes a decline in students he’s coming after me. LOL. One of the stores no one knew how to read or all the 26 rudiments. I don’t think this has been mention on the site, if so, thank you – just wanted to express my view.
This book will aid in working with a metronome, Stick Control, The Reading Drummer, Master Studies which are books used by the “Greats.” The counting displayed for the Rudiments is the greatest, which can prep you in moving on to the 40 PAS rudiments. In my opinion this can help change your drumming for understanding, reading/listening to music and enjoying some of the great drum books/DVDs out there today. Peace and blessing to all.
What can I $ay Juanita Bynum is my cicerone.

Eccentric-Rhythm

Re: The Overlooked (Underrated) BOOK...........
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 11:53:16 AM »
I stumbled across this book last Friday, “Teach Yourself Drums” by: Seth Goldberg, at an underrated local music store. Fam this book is a great book for anyone need to learn to read music or how to read/count each of the 26 Rudiments. The book for from beginning to end he has applied every hand sticking (noted below) and also how to read (noted above) “ EACH and EVERY” pattern within. The back of the book has the 26 Rudiments supplied with every hand sticking (noted below) and how to read/count every rudiment (noted above) “EACH and EVERY ONE.” This is great book definitely overlooked in my opinion through my endeavor when I was searching for books to learn to read. I had to look for some other material over the last few days, so I took the book along to some of the other popular music store in the area to ask their opinions, 5 stores to be exact. Two of them are going to stock the book. One said, “ he know he drum teachers wouldn’t like it. His drum teacher walked in right after, we showed him the book and his response was.” Although there is NO substitute for a good teacher this book is definitely a great resource if you couldn’t afford lessons.” He said he might use it to help his student with counting and understanding the rudiments, if that causes a decline in students he’s coming after me. LOL. One of the stores no one knew how to read or all the 26 rudiments. I don’t think this has been mention on the site, if so, thank you – just wanted to express my view.
This book will aid in working with a metronome, Stick Control, The Reading Drummer, Master Studies which are books used by the “Greats.” The counting displayed for the Rudiments is the greatest, which can prep you in moving on to the 40 PAS rudiments. In my opinion this can help change your drumming for understanding, reading/listening to music and enjoying some of the great drum books/DVDs out there today. Peace and blessing to all.

Does it have an orange cover???? I really think I have that book! I was looking through some of my old drummer stuff and the name sounded familiar when you sent me that PM....I need to double check.

God BLess.

JFunky

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 11:57:58 AM »
...thank you Cherri.  Awesome find.  I would also like to emphasize what the teacher said," there is no substitute for a good teacher."  I will be looking for this one to add to the ones that I have.  Thanks.

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 12:07:53 PM »
Sounds good.

There is also a book called Syncopation from a publisher called Basix (it has a full color cover) . It comes with a audio CD of all the exercises..

My newest student got it ebcause they were out of the Ted Reed Syncopation book. It explains the notation at the very beginning of the book.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline Cherri

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Imperial Majesty! $200,000...

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 08:20:32 PM »
ER, the book is yellow with a burgundy drumset on the cover. JFunky get this book, you will not be disappointed. Sabe keep bring it man. All you guys are a great inspiration to me. God, this site and self research is shaping me into a better musician everyday. Blessings......
What can I $ay Juanita Bynum is my cicerone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up