LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good cd's with horns and/or sax  (Read 3263 times)

Offline Jbroad572

• LGM Member
    • http://www.myspace.com/b5productions

Good cd's with horns and/or sax
« on: March 08, 2006, 01:13:44 PM »
I need more music that has more horns. I have heard Israel's music and he's the only person off the top of my head that I recall that uses horns, but it's necessarily gospel, which is fine, but I'd like to hear more.
Any suggestions?

Offline csedwards2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Find me on the book

Re: Good cd's with horns and/or sax
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 02:22:16 PM »
EWF, James Brown, Parliament, oh to all horn section players you MUST MUST MUST check out atleast one Tower of Power recording.  I played the bari sax part on "What is Hip" back in the day with a funk group I used to be in.

Those are just good exeamples of horn sections, copy the arrangements and you can use them in gospel or anything else

CSE2

Offline csedwards2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Find me on the book

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 11:17:01 PM »
Oh, Im so sorry I forgot one of my favorite horn sections is Kool and the Gang. Check out the horn arrangement on "Hollywood Swingin." Right in the middle, the horns got this line all by themselves, and it is BAAAADDDDD. Just tight

Offline theunit

• LGM Member
  • morning glory

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 03:20:47 PM »
sadly enuff there are not many horns or horn sections that used in gospel today fred hammond uses them sometimes  along with many other gospel artist, but there not main stream yet! I come up listening to Jerry Hay and the seawind horn section quincy jones uses them alot, tower of power, earth wind and fire....other than that im a old jazz head  charlie parker, sonny stitt, miles davis,coleman hawkins, and to really take you back, I listen to charles earland, bro jack mcduff,jimmy smith these organ players of the day of old often had some mean sax players with......by best suggestion....become a student of the game.....and listen,listen, listen some more....a quote frome grover washington  " everybody has something say"
THE UNIT

Offline csedwards2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Find me on the book

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 10:56:38 PM »
The biggest gospel section is MoHorns, I think Fred uses them or has used them. The sax player is from DC, he went to Duke Ellington School of the Arts

Offline baldeagle

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 02:32:52 PM »
sadly enuff there are not many horns or horn sections that used in gospel today fred hammond uses them sometimes  along with many other gospel artist, but there not main stream yet! I come up listening to Jerry Hay and the seawind horn section quincy jones uses them alot, tower of power, earth wind and fire....other than that im a old jazz head  charlie parker, sonny stitt, miles davis,coleman hawkins, and to really take you back, I listen to charles earland, bro jack mcduff,jimmy smith these organ players of the day of old often had some mean sax players with......by best suggestion....become a student of the game.....and listen,listen, listen some more....a quote frome grover washington  " everybody has something say"

Fred Hammond, Micah Stampley, Darwin Hobbs, Lisa McClendon, Donnie McClurkin, Detrick Haddon (newest album), even some John Kee stuff. You just have to look for it, Man. There are a whole lot more than this. I just can't think of any, and I'm not close to my music collection right now.
It's God's way. . . or Hell to pay

Offline Cherri

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Imperial Majesty! $200,000...

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 08:38:56 PM »
Thanks guys. Have several of the cds mention, I will have my listen to some to study.
What can I $ay Juanita Bynum is my cicerone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up